RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Colorization

Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 AM

Re: Colorization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fisher View Post
Hi folks
Dorothea Lange's wonderful 'Migrant Mother', from the Library of Congress website. I worked with the over-sharpened 821 x 1024 pixel jpeg, but there is the lovely 55 MB tiff scan there too if you want a broader canvas. Here are scaled-down copies of the 'before' and 'after'.
There are more examples @ www.edcolor.com - all done using the EdColor Colorization Method, as described in the Ed's Color Method pdf. The Ed's Sat Mask Curve upon which the method depends can be saved out of the Ed's Sat Mask Curve psd.
This is all about thinking in HSB and working in LAB, so you might want to set your Info Palette Options accordingly. If you're the forgetful type, like me, tape this note above your screen: 'If it's not going well, you're not in LAB!'
Ed
Hi Ed,

Thanks for sharing your colorizing method. I have visited your website and see your work they are very nice colourings, one thing I've notice I have colourized the Migrant mother as well but in yours i've notice near the baby's head there is a finger and thumb I haven't notice that in my image of the migrant mother perhaps my eyes are not as good as yours, anyway pls see the link below of my colourized version of the migrant mother.

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/image/88639128/large

thanks

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Ed, thank you so much for that "tutorial". I never have thought of LAB as a coloring mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM

I am a newbie but am interested in colorizing photos. Have done a bit of it. I tried Ed's method but I am sort of lost, well, actually really lost. I am using CS3, maybe that is the problem. Hue/Saturation adjustment layer comes with a mask automatically. If I follow the instructions for ctrl+Shift etc., I get a selection of the image and if I go to the add layer mask at that point, I get a vector mask. Also, how do you move the Saturation Mask Curve to the mask on the image layer?
Thank you
Karen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2008, 02:30 AM

Smile Re: Colorization

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsinsepia View Post
I am a newbie but am interested in colorizing photos. Have done a bit of it. I tried Ed's method but I am sort of lost, well, actually really lost. I am using CS3, maybe that is the problem. Hue/Saturation adjustment layer comes with a mask automatically. If I follow the instructions for ctrl+Shift etc., I get a selection of the image and if I go to the add layer mask at that point, I get a vector mask. Also, how do you move the Saturation Mask Curve to the mask on the image layer?
Thank you
Karen
Hi Karen,

If you are a newbie with photoshop the best thing to do is to familiarize yourself with layer masks, photoshop can be very tricky but layer masks is very useful too, browse around the board there are good tutorials about layer masks here and you will achieve what you want and soon be able to colourize black and white images. I am pretty new myself with photoshop and getting myself familiarize little by little.

helen

www.pbase.com/mstmart
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2008, 04:03 AM

Just delete default mask dragging it to small trash icon in layers palette and click 'add new mask' button to add your selection to your mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 AM

Hi folks
Helen - I think your Mother colorization is beautiful. Luminous.
OnAir - Thanks: I didn't explain that bit very well, did I? Hope I do better with this one:
Karen - Open Ed's Sat Mask Curve psd - open the Curve adjustment layer, save the curve to your hard drive. When you get to the point where you've just created the Hue/Sat adjustment layer (Sat 0%) and added the luminosity mask as OnAir clarified, then, checking that the mask is selected: Image > Adjust > Curves, load the curve and apply it. Before, the mask should look like a normal greyscale - after, it should look solarized.
Here's a titchy unflattened example.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: psd Layers.psd (95.3 KB, 197 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2008, 05:37 AM

Just to say thanks to Ed and all contributors for sharing their knowledge, I am constantly amazed by their skills.......
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 AM

Thank you, Ed. I appreciate the additional info. I am definitely going to try it. I love colorization. Some day I will post something I have done or try out a challenge. Everyone here is so talented and generous! Their talent can sometimes be intimidating but I keep studying, reading and practicing

Karen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2008, 08:56 AM

Thank you, Ed, for your additional help and I think I am closer but still confused on a key point. I would appreciate just a bit more help

Step 2 says to add a hue/sat layer set to 0, however, the sample you uploaded has the sat set at -100

I understand now that I have to delete the default mask that opens with hue/sat adjustment layer.

By adding a luminance mask, are you getting a selection of marching ants when you do Ctl+Shift+Alt+~ and then that gets added to the layer mask when you “add layer mask”?

I have Ed’s Sat Mask Curve. psd saved and it along with the image I am going to colorize are open. Here is where I am confused. It says check to make sure the mask is selected. Which mask, Ed’s mask or the luminance mask on the colorize image? I have tried both and gone under image>adjustments>curve and there is no option to load

I try dragging Ed’s layer to the image to be colored image and it gets the solarized effect, however, I then have a curves layer sitting above hue/sat layer with the luminance mask.

I can see that somehow I have to get Ed’s Sat Mask Curve applied to the luminance mask on the hue/sat layer of the image that I want to color and I cannot figure out how to do that as I see no options for loading a mask and applying it.

I am getting close but not there yet.

Thank you
Karen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 AM

Tried, but could not open, Ed's file. All I get is an image with the title and no place to open.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching