RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B Curves vs. 50 % Fill Gray Layer ???

Old 02-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Re: D&B Curves vs. 50 % Fill Gray Layer ???

Good explanation Ro

I do get some good images to work on, however, the majority of them can be quite ... nasty in terms of skin condition and sometimes exposure.
However, I don't ever get skin that has pure white and or black in it. And if I did, I would attack that problem in a different way.

I rarely if ever use the dual curve adjustment layer technique mostly because curves moves in such a non-linear way. The colors just tend to move differently and introduce contamination along the way.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2008, 02:27 PM

I've tried double layer methods and don't like them. For me, D & B is a gradual process, building up the effect with multiple strokes. At times, a given area will require lightening and darkening in close proximity. With a single layer, a lighten stroke, however it is generated, does precisely that with no conflicting influence. With multiple layers, it's possible to have both working on the same region in ways that produce unexpected and unwanted artifacts. You find yourself trying to darken a spot and it just won't do what you want. You check the mask of the other layer and a stroke added many steps back is in the way. With a single layer, you are connected directly to the task at hand, lightening and darkening, without having to worry about technical glitches.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
....because curves moves in such a non-linear way. The colors just tend to move differently and introduce contamination along the way.
Agreed, Chris, when using RGB-mode soft-light D&B on skin, the colour is more natural; the highlights get less saturated and the shadows more so.

However, non-organic surfaces will react differently, with less variation in saturation. So for these it would seem that Lab mode works best.

I posted a little experiment below, applying a shadowed greyscale ball to a skin-toned fill layer.
Maybe I did something wrong, but it seems that the adjustment layers made a big mess.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blending-Colours.jpg (98.2 KB, 195 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM

In conclusion, painting with a soft brush (white or dark) on a layer in softlight blending mode fill with 50% grey is the best option for skin retouching.

Please tell me about brush opacity and flow.

- low opacity 5 to 25% and flow set to 100% ?

Thank you to senior members and moderators for your recommendations.

BigBlaze
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM

Shellby said it right, in fact here they seem to think dual curves its the only way to do it, They are usually called D or L. If they catch you doing anything else then there are the technically challenged that will think you dont know what your doing.

There really is no Better or Worse way.. the advantage with Ovlay or softlight is that it allows the painting of colour particularly useful when trying to hit back very desaturated highlights - BUT YOU CAN STILL SET UP A DARKEN CURVE that will do the same thing. You've just got to either adjust the colour curves as well as the composite. Another method that is used very often is to Group a Hue/Saturation layer with your darken Curve - this allows you to set any colour you want. Its horses for courses, There are even people that started in the old houses that still do it dodge and burn tools on flat pixels though

And yes its very easy to set up an action, one to activate your D curve and one to activate your L curve, just got to make sure you name them the same each time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 PM

It is true that brushing on a softlight grey filled layer can have its detriments on non-organic objects. Especially where gradients are concerned. At that point it is necessary to attack differently, or if you need to do softlight, then another softlight grey filled layer above it with noise added to a mask of the layer below it will usually help that out.

BigBlaze

I tend to start out with smaller brushes at a 100% view with the brushes opacity set to @25%. I have the opacity of the pen set to pen pressure. I do not use flow at all.
THen I move out to smaller views and larger brushes with less opacity.

And there really isn't a "right way" to do things with skin. Softlight, in my opinion, does the best job. Some people swear by the curves method. Some things softlight does not work well with. It really depends a lot on how the image was shot, the lighting used, the contrast of the image etc.

Hope it helps.

Chris

Last edited by cricket1961; 02-18-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Bonsoir Chris,

Smaller view, 50%, 25% ?

Thank you,

BigBlaze
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Yes for the smaller view. Just go with the standard command-minus keys to step down. those will give you the best reproduction views for what you need to do.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2008, 10:32 PM

BigBlaze,

You might find this thread useful:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...ackground.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2008, 01:13 PM

I do it the other way, I usually start with a 12,5% zoom, then zoom in to 25%, 50% and then to 100% if I need to...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching