RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&B Curves vs. 50 % Fill Gray Layer ???

Old 11-25-2011, 10:28 AM

Re: D&B Curves vs. 50 % Fill Gray Layer ???

cricket1961
Quote:
I tend to start out with smaller brushes at a 100% view with the brushes opacity set to @25%. I have the opacity of the pen set to pen pressure. I do not use flow at all.
THen I move out to smaller views and larger brushes with less opacity.
Hi Chris,

What do you mean by you don't use flow at all...do you turn it down to 1%?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriakos View Post
cricket1961

Hi Chris,

Thanks.
Just a guess...I suspect Chris uses a tablet, therefore uses tablet settings and pen pressure to control flow rate. Don't use a tablet myself, so I cannot confirm or recommend setting values.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
cricket1961 Hi Chris,
Thanks.
Hi kyriakos
That's a good question yet you might not get an answer from the original contributors because the thread is about 4 years old. Danny's suggestion is definitely one possibility.

Here is my guess. I think that Chris had the flow set to 100% so as to effectively disable that feature. Otherwise, for each single stroke of the brush, flow keeps spurting out more D&B as you move the brush (so to speak). You have some control of this rate and spacing from the Brush panel yet its pretty tough to control. With that lack on total control with "Flow", I think Chris just turned it off. For D&B I believe that Chris was in addition to having the pen pressure control opacity, he was just using multiple brush strokes to add up to the D&B desired. Seems to give the most user control that way. I don't think there is a right way to do this. Just whatever works best for you. Hope this is useful for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 09:54 AM
Patron

Hi John,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread

I have a quick question (2 actually) for the experts here:
  1. I learned a dodge/burn method using a 50% gray layer in Overlay mode.
    • However, this was a landscape photography seminar, not skin retouching.
    • Does soft light work better for skin? Sounds like 'yes'. But what about retouching dark skin?
  2. I didn't like the Overlay method because it tended to shift colors, especially in skin tones.
    • So now I experimented with using Exposure layers instead, one for darkening and one for lightening. That's my method now. I have an action that creates a black layer mask then I brush white where I want the darkening/lightening.
    • Any thoughts about pros/cons for this method?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 AM

Hi Robert

Kyriakos deserves the thanks for starting the thread a couple post before me.

In regards to your question about using Exposure. Does that mean you are using a couple Exposure Adjustment Layers? What are the settings you use? Just changing the exposure control? and to what level? Or did I totally misunderstand.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies.

John, can you elaborate why Flow set to 100% turns it off?
I understand the rest of the Softlight technique Chris described, but the flow is throwing me off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Patron

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

John, can you elaborate why Flow set to 100% turns it off?
I understand the rest of the Softlight technique Chris described, but the flow is throwing me off.
It doesn't turn Flow control off. It keeps Flow control at its default value -- 100%. If you don't touch the default then you're not using it to control anything.

What Chris is effectively saying is that he does not use the Flow control at all. Which has the same effect as turning the control off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 PM

ADDED EDIT: I parallel posted with Robert.

Hi kyriakos
Brushes and all of their settings can be pretty involved. I will assume that there what you need to understand is how the Brush "flow" fits in with the "opacity" setting.

In the image below I am brushing with a full black on a full white background. I set the spacing of the brush tip to be where each tip placed in the image would be next to each other (of course until the paths get too close together). In the upper half of the image, I am brushing horizontally with a single stroke at a tighter and tighter pitch with the settings of Opacity =50% and Flow = 100% (did this by stroking a path). With the settings as given it places down a 50% gray level (50% of the way from black to white). With this single stroke any overlapped area stays at the same level of gray.

In the lower half of the image the settings are Opacity = 50% and the Flow = 50%. I vertically inverted the image on the bottom so the end points of top and bottom would be near each other. Think of Flow as a multiplying modifier to the Opacity setting. The initial ink put down is 25% gray (50% x 50%). Note that as the lines get closer together and the brush tips overlap that the overlap areas get darker (unlike the top image). With Flow less than 100% it allows build up of ink up and to the same point as the level set by the opacity. Note that the end points of top and bottom images have the same gray level at the end. So Flow allows the overlapping bush tips that are laid down to incrementally add up yet only to the point that it equals the Opacity value.

As a reminder, both of these images were made with a single stroke. As you stroke additional times, both images will get darker.

I believe again that Chris left Flow off because the amount of D&B that is effectively done on the image would be dependent on how much overlap in laid down brush tips which is dependent on both the brush path and brush dynamics (e.g. brush tip spacing, etc). By leaving the Flow at 100%, the result you get with a single brush stoke eliminates all the issues with laid down brush tips overlapping.

If that does not help keep asking.

Brush-Opacity-vs-Flow.jpg

With the above in mind, here is the link to the help file that covers Opacity and Flow and a quote of the particular seciton.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photosho...605325F2a.html

Quote:
Opacity Sets the transparency of color you apply. As you paint over an area, the opacity will not exceed the set level no matter how many times you move the pointer over the area, until you release the mouse button. If you stroke over the area again, you will apply additional color, equivalent to the set opacity. Opacity of 100 percent is opaque.

Flow Sets the rate at which color is applied as you move the pointer over an area. As you paint over an area, keeping the mouse button down, the amount of color will build up based on the flow rate, up to the opacity setting. For example, if you set the opacity to 33% and the flow to 33%, each time you move over an area, its color moves 33% towards the brush color. The total will not exceed 33% opacity unless you release the mouse button and stroke over the area again.
ADDED EDIT: I called Flow at 100% being turned off (may be wrong terminology) because at 100% how the brush behaves is totally determined by the Opacity value (and other Brush Panel settings). Just easier for me to think of it that way.

Last edited by John Wheeler; 11-27-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 12:16 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wheeler View Post
Hi Robert

Kyriakos deserves the thanks for starting the thread a couple post before me.

In regards to your question about using Exposure. Does that mean you are using a couple Exposure Adjustment Layers? What are the settings you use? Just changing the exposure control? and to what level? Or did I totally misunderstand.
Hi Kyriakos,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, it's very useful.

Hi John,

I use two Exposure layers:
  1. one named Darken set at -1 stop
  2. one named Lighten set at +1 stop
Both have their masks set to black. Then I use a white brush at different opacities to brush in the lightening and darkening (dodging and burning) where I want it. I can also adjust the Exposure value if I need to. And the opacity of the layer. Gives me a rich range of controls.

I've found that Exposure layers preserve skin tones better than a gray Overlay layer did. Was wondering whether Soft Light would be better than either but I can experiment and see for myself if no one here has done that already.

Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Re: D&B Curves - Warning Long Reply

Hi Robert

As always, all the info below if based on my own analysis and IMHO with the potential for error yet I believe it should be good.

Thanks for the extra info. I will provide some thoughts yet first there is one point of confusion for me in your question:
Quote:
I've found that Exposure layers preserve skin tones better than a gray Overlay layer did. Was wondering whether Soft Light would be better than either
This may be semantics yet I use the word "tone" as the exactly what D&B is trying to change. If you want the tone preserved, then don't brush any changes on the skin (I think I might be missing something in your question though).

Now if you are talking about preserving Hue/Sat then that is another matter. For some D&B approaches you can have some Hue/Sat changes. To avoid those, setting the adjustment Layer to Luminosity Blend will preserve the Hue exactly and hold the Sat best it can with Luminosity taking priority.

All the different approaches on D&B have their pros and cons. A lot depends on the effect you like and with which you used and with which you are productive. All of them raise or lower tone. Some just raise or lower tone quicker in shadows/midtones/highlights and the transfer curves in some cases are linear (less Hue shift) while others are non-linear or multiple linear segments. This makes comparing different schemes not straightforward.

I believe that the D&B tools are the standard with which I like to compare. The D&B tools have options to primarily affect shadows, midtones, highlights separately and a check option to preserve some tones. The big issue with the D&B tools is just using it on a pixel layer which is limiting. First, let me point you to a post I made very recently on how to recreate the D&B tools with gray (or transparent) layers:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post300765

With that link and the known functionality of the D&B tools I can give feedback on how the different approaches compare to the D&B tools (this is based on examining the transfer curves of the various approaches). Since you used Overlay at some point I thought I would start there.

D&B using Overlay Blend starting with solid gray/transparent Layer.
  • Brushing with white low opacity (or > 50% gray): This has the same transfer curve as an Exposure Adjustment Layer with Exposure set to 2.2 or a Levels Adjustment Layer with the White Point slider set at 128 and then painting white on a Black Layer Mask. This would be similar to Dodging at the higher midtones with a sharp transition in behavior above and below 50% gray value in the image.
  • Brushing with Black low opacity or (< 50% gray): This has the same transfer curve as a Levels Adjustment Layer with the Black Point slider set at 128 and then painting white on a Black Layer Mask. This is identical to the Burn tool set to shadows and no tone protection.

So Overlay is an odd combination and as well as a sharp transition in D&B behavior at the 50% gray point.

D&B Using Exposure Adj Layer (Mask Black) and Exp set to +1EV or -1EV
  • Brushing Mask with White low opacity for +1EV case: This is the same as using a Levels Adjustment Layer with White Point slider set to 186. Similar to using Overlay for >50% gray just not as strong. Similar to Dodging High Mid Tones. Non linear transition at image pixel values of 186
  • Brushing Mask with White low opacity for -1EV case: This is the same as using a Levels Adjustment Layer with White Output Level set to 186 and Brushing white on black Layer Mask. This is identical to using the Burn tool set to Highlights and Preserve Tones turned off. The transfer curve is totally linear

Using the Exposure Levels as you have indicated have more impact on the highlights with less impact on midtones and only slight impact with the shadows. This is not good nor bad, just giving you a reference point.

I already covered SoftLight Blend in the link I provided above which is mostly for D&B for midtones. The curve is similar to a gamma transfer curve (smooth and curved) and not linear.

One of the advantages of using solid gray/transparent Layers is that you can Dodge and Burn in one Layer instead of breaking into two Layers. Here is an alternate approach to D&B midtones with two separate Layers that has a larger swing then using the SoftLight with Gray level approach:

For Dodging

- Add Levels Adjustment Layer with Black Layer Mask
- To duplicate SoftLight Blend with Gray Layer technique for Dodging, set the mid Gamma slider to 2.0. This gives a larger impact to the low midtones
- To have a larger impact instead on high midtones, reset the Gamma slider to 1.0 and change the Blend mode to Screen
- To have max impact on center midtones with similar impact on low and high midtones, use Screen Blend mode "and" set the Gamma to 2.0
- Paint mask with white and low opacity to Dodge

For Burning

- Add Levels Adjustment Layer with Black Layer Mask
- To duplicate SoftLight Blend with Gray Layer technique for Burning, set the mid Gamma slider to 0.5. This gives a larger impact to the low midtones
- To have a larger impact instead on high midtones, reset the Gamma slider to 1.0 and change the Blend mode to Multiply
- To have max impact on center midtones with similar impact on low and high midtones, use Multiply Blend mode "and" set the Gamma to 0.5
- Paint Layer Mask with white and low opacity to Burn

This last D&B technique uses smooth transfer curves very similar to D&B tools set to midtones or the SoftLight Blend with Gray Layer technique. It can have a larger range than the SoftLight technique as well.

This may be TMI yet still hope that you or some reader finds it useful.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching