RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Architectural Retouching

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Architectural Retouching

Can anyone recommend books, blogs or on-line tutorials on architectural retouching? I know virtually nothing about it & would like to enhance my work. I'll be retouching interior as well as exterior shots.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 PM

Re: Architectural Retouching

i've yet to see a book on the subject, never heard of the term till i got to this site..i've retouched interior and exterior shots in the past but never knew it was a specialized niche...
Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 AM

I think knowing the basics of retouching still apply so probably a book by Katrin Eismann
would be very useful,also probably something like How to cheat inphotoshop I think would be pretty useful
hope this helps
Old 02-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Guess, I could suggest you some interior techniques. But I am worried, if an architectural retouching is a thing a bit different, related to 3d rendering.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:00 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm new to this so I hope I'm asking the right questions in the right way. What I'm trying to accomplish is something similar (I know it would take years to achieve an identical result) to the retouching done on the Attic Fire website:

http://www.atticfirearchitecture.com/main.htm

Whoever does this work is a genius!

Although I prefer to shoot fashion & beauty I seem to be getting hired more & more to shoot architecture. I know very little about the field but have a few books that have helped with the basics.

As for Katrin Eismann I have all her books & some of my work appears in Photoshop Restoration & Retouching 3rd Edition. I'll look in the books & see if there's something about architectural retouching.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:07 AM

nice work on that site..photoflex has some lessons about using their lighting for indoor use, that might be a good starting point for you...
Old 02-23-2008, 04:42 AM

The 'before' and 'after' images on this 'attic fire'-site are 'nt real 'before' and 'after' images.

It depends of course on how you depict 'before' and 'after'.

In a lot of cases I'd say the 'after' image is not totally derived from the 'before' image. The after image is another shot with a different lighting/setting. And photoshop of course.
Well, maybe I am just getting blind.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:51 AM

Some of that looks like good old fashioned painting with light to me. Very heavy handed and uneven in places. I have not done any PWL for a very long time. I bet its MUCH easier in digital with PS. It was always so hard with film, keeping the light source pointed away from the lens and not getting caught between the two and creating a corona. You'd work for hours on an object only to process the film and find your ghost.

I'll have to pull that trick out and see if I can shine it.

TPM
Old 02-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainam View Post
The 'before' and 'after' images on this 'attic fire'-site are 'nt real 'before' and 'after' images.

It depends of course on how you depict 'before' and 'after'.

In a lot of cases I'd say the 'after' image is not totally derived from the 'before' image. The after image is another shot with a different lighting/setting. And photoshop of course.
Well, maybe I am just getting blind.
i noticed that as well, they probably shot the before image with the built in flash on the camera...
Old 02-23-2008, 03:12 PM

About the site: http://www.atticfirearchitecture.com/main.htm I think the idea to present the "before" and the after" in architecture pictures is very impressive; I agree with ThePicMan207 that most of that job is a very good skill in lighting indeed.

Mark, got a tour in your galleries, very good job too.

About this thread, I don' t know about books on photoshop & architecture but my experience is in multiple layers with different light conditions, masks and blending. If you find anything about, let we know. Thanks to share that site.

P.S. Im new to the list but I think I don' t have to present in this thread, I' ll attempt to do in " salon"

Roberto
Old 02-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Mark is right. The before is before is extensive lighting. He would set a few lights (hot lights), and take a shot. Then he would move the lights and take another shot. He used black cloth on the windows for the daytime shots. It's a lot of lighting and then a lot of photoshop. His files would be in the gigs. A buddy of mine works for one of the companies the Attic Fire photographer has done work for.

Keith
Old 02-25-2008, 12:41 AM

i have some stock photos of interior shots, if you guys want a image to practice on just let me know...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM

I finally found the technique I was looking for. Here's a photo I took yesterday before & after. THIS is what I've been looking for!

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/d...hotoID=5715147

Thanks,

Skyy
Old 02-27-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBuddha View Post
what you really be careful about those pictures is, that they dont go in photoshop with the "before" shot and come out with the "after" one. these are composits of so mayn different shots. especially, when doing night stuff, they use like at least 5 different shots of the same scene with different light setups and different time of day. (well #4 looks like completely one-shotted
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBuddha View Post
I finally found the technique I was looking for. Here's a photo I took yesterday before & after. THIS is what I've been looking for!
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/d...hotoID=5715147
just looks like those color flodding ugly flickr-hdr shots...sorry bro

well hdr is the best approach for the startup, but don't over do the whole color-thingy. stick to a way in between pitched colors and a "real" look, compose every piece of the image seperately and try to color manually

Last edited by subxaero; 02-27-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:14 PM

I'm with Subxaero. BLECH.

Not that the http://www.atticfirearchitecture.com/main.htm looks particularly good either.

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching