RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to: "Annie leibovitz' Queen Elizabeth" look

Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 AM

Re: How to: "Annie leibovitz' Queen Elizabeth" loo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaloo View Post
whoa dude, if your implying that the shot(s) is what it is, because of post production, that's just uncool. i'm not saying retouching doesn't play its part, but she is far from someone who presses a button and leaves the rest up to someone else to fix.
I think youre missing the point, the question originallly posted was about how to achieve the look in that photo, not the photo itself as far as composition. So yes, in this case it deals with the retouching and colors, and that is a part that Im sure is handed off to another person (what does everyone say she uses, Box studios?) Up to that point, her Canon 1DS spits out the same RAW file mine does. So in essence, I could have plopped the queen down next to the window, set my strobes up with an octabank and kickers, handheld it and fired away for 20 minutes. Only.... I would have had the queen look a little less bored, and I probably would have told her to leave the crown on, but to try it topless for a few shots just to see what we came up with....ahahhahahaha
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 AM

Garibaldi,

I see by your writing, you do not want to see the point in my posting.

I do not care about the name of the artist or whether it's a photographer or retoucher, so there is no use in critism at all. But what I did say is, there is no use in asking about what kind of tool to use, nor how to use it, if you don't know the color you want to paint with!

There just is no magic, no secret gizmo and no filter to get the effects those people are famous for.

But I guess it's useless to explain, unless people realize the special style and touch of a persons artwork cannot be copied by applying filters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 AM

Are you freaking kidding me!!!! I can buy an exact copy of the last supper painting, done on velvet, with a gold frame for less than $20 in any flea market across the country.. You would be hard pressed to tell the difference from the orginal. Last year for Christmas I got an EXACT replica of the "David" statue....guess what, it was a handsoap! Now its worn down do a small sliver sitting in my soapdish. So you wanna start talking about copying work we can do that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 AM

Ok, the straight way then:

To create a photo like the ones you posted, skills are only 10% of the show. The rest is a gifted artist. You are no gifted artist, so your photos will never reach the class and level of Annie Leibovitz' pictures.

Was that freaking clear enough?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickB View Post
Ok, the straight way then:

To create a photo like the ones you posted, skills are only 10% of the show. The rest is a gifted artist. You are no gifted artist, so your photos will never reach the class and level of Annie Leibovitz' pictures.

Was that freaking clear enough?
wow, i hope there's a secret magic trick for removing the stick out of your ass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 04:42 PM

Take it to PM's or anywhere else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdaloo View Post
whoa dude, if your implying that the shot(s) is what it is, because of post production, that's just uncool. i'm not saying retouching doesn't play its part, but she is far from someone who presses a button and leaves the rest up to someone else to fix.

Well, she's directing the process. But Annie don't retouch. And her pics are retouched a lot.

I remember her being proud way back when she was a Rolling Stone photog about not using a light meter. So she has a long history of techs saving her butt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
Well, she's directing the process. But Annie don't retouch. And her pics are retouched a lot.

I remember her being proud way back when she was a Rolling Stone photog about not using a light meter. So she has a long history of techs saving her butt.
I'm not trying to take credit away from retouching, in fact I have a lot a pride in my work. I know that post can make the shot... But there is a clear difference in the photographer making the shot, and the photographer's retoucher making it. You don't get a reputation like that from someone else's work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM

kris, you may know my friend/past co-worker Trevor B?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2008, 12:16 AM

Think of her as more like a film director rather than a pure photographer. That would make it easier.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching