RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

food retouching

Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 PM

food retouching

I have been concentrating on portrait retouching. I mainly use D&B and softlight layers for correcting and even skin tone. I just got offered to go on a food/interior shoot and help retouch the food photography on location. I am wondering what are the basic things that you try to correct when retouching food photography? For example, when retouching skin I focus on creating an even tone, keeping pore detail, and removing highlights. Are the same technique used when retouching food photography (D&B, softlight)? Any advice is welcome.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM

Re: food retouching

it's been my experience that working with layers is very important as the art directors go in one direction while the actual client may want to go for a different look so be prepared for many rounds of corrections...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Can i see a picture, if possible?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM

i'll see what i can find when i get home, i made the mistake of not keeping some of my more intricate work...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 02:59 PM

color is usually top priority, in my experience. make sure everything looks natural, tasety...don't go overboard with the vividness or sharpness. (ex. don't make a plate of pasta, or fruits look nuclear by pumping up the reds too far!)

d&b is used across the board on all retouching as a non destructive method. i use it on clothing, product, packaging etc. don't be afraid to use it.

-in my experience, i also had to do a lot of rearranging of objects, removing of distracting ogjects, lots and lots of cloning. pay attention to the natural lighting of objects if you have to move them, lighting should match up across the board, as well as where shadows fall.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. I would be really interested to see some of your food retouching Pixelzombie.

Does anyone know of a high-end retoucher or studio that specializes in food or product retouching so that I can learn more from their before/Afters?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM

There is some food on my pbase (...if you consider fruits to be food).

http://www.pbase.com/mvc/food

Most of it was for packaging and had to be a bit illustration-like (where there is no before photo, its actually completely illustrated). So I doubt if it will be of any help.

There is of course a difference if you retouch food for packaging, a cookbook or other applications.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwartz View Post
Thanks for all the great advice. I would be really interested to see some of your food retouching Pixelzombie.

Does anyone know of a high-end retoucher or studio that specializes in food or product retouching so that I can learn more from their before/Afters?
I work with a very good products and food photographer. I can send you a before-after of food I retouched for him if you send me a private email. If you go on the shoot be prepared for a looong day.
~Nancy

www.PhotoArt123.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 AM

I agree with Nanis, loooong loooong day. Often it takes more time preparing a food set for shotting than a beauty make up for magazine cover. I remember a shooting in which we spend a completly day for one picture (panoramic, but only one).

I am a still life photographer and, sometimes a have shotted food. I think it depends the kind of the product. Well done stilist work=less hours you spend in front of your computer.

If you shoot meat, be careful with color cast. At the moment, digital backs are working quite well in this situations but, sometimes, meat doesn´t look very good, more noticeable with read meat or Jam (Spanish red Jam). I know many photographers going to be crazy with that matter.

Good luck and.... pacience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschwartz View Post
I have been concentrating on portrait retouching. I mainly use D&B and softlight layers for correcting and even skin tone. I just got offered to go on a food/interior shoot and help retouch the food photography on location. I am wondering what are the basic things that you try to correct when retouching food photography? For example, when retouching skin I focus on creating an even tone, keeping pore detail, and removing highlights. Are the same technique used when retouching food photography (D&B, softlight)? Any advice is welcome.
My mail bounced back from the address you gave me. I sent it twice but not sure you got either.
Let me know.
~Nancy

---------------------------------------------------------------

www.photoart123.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching