RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 AM

Re: Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
In technical terms, it's called the Awful Bad Technique. You blur heavily, remove shape and texture and then high pass texture over the top with a lot of excessive sharpening after so you get that really sandpaper like texture to go with your 1997 CG model look. Throw in a touch of straight up airbrushing to make the skin completely without change in tone and color. Sometimes you can throw some noise in as well if it's not gritty enough for you. Basically, what you are after is pancake makeup mixed with cement, paint and sand and then baked at 700 degrees for an hour. Hope that helps.

Now go get your eyes checked. I know it may have been awhile since you've seen an actual woman in person and up close, but maybe look at a photograph if the restraining orders prevent you from doing so.
See, now that's what it's about. Putting in the effort in everything you do.
Even if it's a comment on bad retouching in the form of a hilarious post.

Chris says the same thing in much more diplomatic way.
Gotta appreciate both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 AM

No one can live up to professional standards in the beginning. Learning is a process of finding out what works and doesn't work for you. If, in doing that, someone wants to learn a few techniques that wouldn't be considered "professional," you shouldn't be bashed for it.

Ant quite possibly may be a badass. But he doesn't need to prove it by ridiculing OP when all he asked is a simple question.

Quote:
To reiterate some of Doug's observations: We WELCOME new threads, questions, issues, etc. There are many RetouchPRO members who are ready and willing to help or advise -- in all forums, not just this one that focuses on manipulation.

Rookies, newbies and those with little experience take note: There's no shame being at or near the bottom of the learning curve, regardless of the topic of interest. All the "old pros" started at the same place you did: The Beginning.

So if you're sitting on a question, why not take a leap of faith and start a thread? There's no risk. You won't lose your job -- unless you're at work, posting on company time and get caught! Be assured you won't get bashed, hassled or laughed at like you did at school or perhaps other online venues. We do "respect" well here at RetouchPRO.

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised and there's a great chance will learn something.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM

Thank you for all responses. I think ANT has something to compensate, so I forgive his constructive reply. I'm always looking for better techniques. I'm not a pro retoucher and I have still many thinks to learn. I confess I have used degrunge a few times and was amazed how quickly you can clean the skin.

Maybe the examples are a bit too clean and the texture too regular.

It seems you all agree dodging and burning is a better technique and after seeing the movie linked, many steps are necessary for better skin. I will take a look into all your suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 03:35 PM

i think Ant summed it up quite well, i've never been able to use any sort of de-grundge technique with any success..it never seems to look right...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 PM

I always enjoy Ant's comment and frankness...he is always "right on"...so I always give him a "A" for is assessment. On the otherhand, I very seldom see any constructive help. I guess we must take the good with the bad. I'm sure Ant you know a lot, but you sure don't share it. I'm sure you've spend years and years learning and probably have taken your share of criticism..and you probably have signed some sort of secrecy agreement, but for God's sakes it would be nice if you could share a practice or a resource or something. Thank God for individuals like Chris, but Ant, I do miss you when you aren't around...your comments are always amusing!

Last edited by skydog; 03-27-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Actually, Ant does share. He keeps on reiterating one very important fact that some retouchers tend to neglect by not training their eyes to see. You need to know how to differentiate what's good and what's bad, and the kind of end result you should expect from your own work before you even open that file. This process of pre-visualization is just as important as any other area in the art field. Painters do sketch after sketch before they actually make contact with the canvas. Film and animation artists sketch out the entire storyboard to help them set up shots and to establish how things should look. Retouching is the same thing, you need to have some sort of visual thinking or you're going to waste a lot of time outputting the same result that you're trying to improve upon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM

Right On PM

I might not have Ant's gift for candor at times but he does get his point across.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Chris...don't sell yourself short..you have an amazing gift...you provide good critique but also suggestions and guidance...same for PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2008, 12:32 AM

This board is very valuable for me and I appreciate all responses.

I'm a photographer and not a proffesional retoucher. My clients are mostly models. The dodge and burn technique is something I will try this weekend, but it seems very time-consuming, but I guess there is no free ride in this. I always strive for perfection, so time is something I'm willing to invest.

A few questions

#1 If I want 'vogue-cover' quality for my models's skin, dodge and burn is THE technique to use? (I know there are more things to do, but I'm only talking about the skin now)

#2 Is degrunge useless for real quality retouch? I'm thinking about using it with a high radius high-pass (20-30 range for 12MP portrait). The effect is not smoothing the skin, but more smoothing the tonal differences with such a high radius?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM

I understand what you are saying, but personally I’m a bit different. I always love to teach and what I have learned in 30 years I’m willing to teach in 30 minutes (I actually do this as an instructor in another field). No problem with that. For me it sounds like an silly attempt to protect your market, but some experts are forgetting I’m not your competition, just as 99,99 percent of this board isn’t. Business is a LOT more then skills, but that’s another topic. The purpose of this forum, other forums, but also magazines like ‘Photoshop Creative’ is too teach each other new skills and stimulate/motivate each other to create something beautiful. … but maybe I’m wrong in that assumption.

I know there are a lot more steps involved to create this ‘Vogue’ quality. For one thing I always use a MUA, very fundamental for a good result. In post-processing I retouch more then only the skin, but I think I can do better. I use(d) the degrunge method, and it’s better than applying a soft focus filter, but I always try to go for something better. Well, you already teached me that I should forget degrunge and use dodge and burn instead. I’m thankful for that. I only hope someone can give me more useful ideas. I’m not asking for the complete package, only the skin.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching