RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Re: Amazing skin, only degrunge?

ant, like many other, make online portfolios available to clients and prospects only for a few reasons.

-guy who taught me has had a bunch of his images ripped off online, where people try to pass them off as work they did. also, to respect the photograpahers. we work with some very high profile clients, and they don't like their befores hung out for display.

not everyone
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM

also, i'm not trying to take away from original poster's thread, so I will end my comments here. just wanted to give the site a nudge, see what comes out of it.

-i'm down to help others with whatever little tips i can, not gonna write tutorials or anything like that! not trying to be the robinhood of retouchpro!

every gangsta here's on they're own.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviskw View Post
Hi Chris

I came off much too harsh and that was not my intent and my post was not directed at any individual…I apologize if it was taken that way.

Over the last year or two there have been many requests of skin technique with many posted examples. Most all had posters using de-grunge as part of their technique. I personally found their work to be generally on the same level as strictly D&B or other so-called professional techniques… this is the so-called I was talking about… I did not state that correctly in my previous post... I was trying to say technique not people. Techniques are not professional… the people using them can be.

I find the technique to be fast and effective especially when used on less than perfect blotchy skin. At least as a foundation to further use traditional procedures.

This is not to say it could not be done as well or better with traditional techniques after hours of work. If I can do acceptable work faster with a technique I will use it over established procedures.

All techniques were new at one time or another and they received their share of resistance.

I guess I just hated to see the OP discouraged from experimenting with an excellent tool, in certain circumstances, because it was not considered professional.

I’ll choose my words a lot more carefully in the future… this is a good forum for open discussion without the sniping that often occurs elsewhere. When I re-read my post I can sure see how it could be taken in the wrong way.

Butch
Nicely put Butch.

I didn't take it personally. I never tell anyone what to do, just to give suggestions as to what might work and what might not work.
I,and I think others, was just completely taken by surprise by it.

There are a lot of images that the degrunge works well with, and not just on flesh but clothing patterns and stuff. Used judiciously and carefully it is a step forward for most. Used without thought as to the ending is going to be surprising.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
But there is also the issue of people not knowing what questions to ask.
Who's gonna ask about under color removal or gray color removal
when they don't know it exists?

A list like KR's is a good way to make people aware of such things
to begin asking questions.

If it hasn't happened already, kick it off Chris.
I have no clue how to do this. But it should start off with most of the posts after and including KR's list.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 10:21 PM

How did we get some Mods in here???

Why isn't Chris a Mod??!!

We need some topic splitting done.
I'll pm some and see what happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 AM

I have used the degrunge and I think it has its value, one aspect it could be useful in a professional retouch is maybe even-out subtle color differences (high radius). It doesn’t change the texture, only color.

--------------------
In this age were Internet and online content is so important, I can’t believe that a professional doesn’t have a website or reel. It’s so very outdated if you only have a printed portfolio. Afraid someone steals your work? C’mon, you aren’t serious, are you?

So, I ask every expert politely to make their website/reel known.

I’m new here, so maybe I’m out-of-line, but if someone claims he’s an expert but can’t show any work I really begin to think …’Is he an expert or just a kid with some Photoshop skills bluff in a forum’. I have seen it many times as a moderator on another board. :P

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-01-2008 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 01:25 PM

FYI: I started a couple new threads based on content in this one. See new topics in Retouching forum.

Let's keep this one (for better/worse) on skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks Danny!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks Danny.

Hendrik

I can understand why there are not more online portfolios. With all this technology, it is easy to create one, but it is just as easy to steal one. I worry about it all the time. There will always be a way found. And I have found some of my images out there, which doesn't make me happy, but it is a small price to pay if I can find them and get them off their websites. If....

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Hendrik,

None of the members here is bluffing. I don't think you can bluff something that is so specific as retouching. Most of us here know what we're doing. We can just tell from the post to find out if the poster knew what he/she is doing.
yes, it's the year 2008...it's very easy to create a website nowadays. But, the copyright law has also gotten very sensitive and complicated. Not all retouchers get permission to use the images that they worked on. I know...you spent hours and hours working on the images, but they're not yours. Here's a scenario...I post an image here that I retouched at work just for the members here to see, but then someone here takes it off of this website and posts it on other forums all over of the web. Someone at my work or my boss sees it on the internet and traces back to original retoucher that worked on it, which is me, and I get fired just because I violated the confidentiality agreement that I signed when I took this job. Do you think any retoucher wants to risk his/her career for this?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching