RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM

Re: Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Yes if...
I mailed some samples to some guy I worked with about two weeks ago. No response, now I'm terrified hes going to abuse them. You got to protect your work. The point about confidentiality is important too, for a variety of reasons, not least because some of the befores of these people can make your hair stand on end!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 06:22 PM

you mean you didn't put some sort of copywrite symbol over them?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 AM

I understand the arguments, but I don’t think they’re all so very valid.

Let’s take Chris, he has a wonderful website and the images can be seen large, which is significant to see the details. I can see his style and his skills. He only has a small collection online, and I assume he has done more in his career. You don’t have to put a large quantity of images online nor the ones with legal or ethical restrictions.

Someone can steal your work, yes … so what? If you see an image used without your permission, just take legal steps. Nobody can use your images for any serious work anyway. They are protected you know.

It’s my opinion any serious professional should have a website to show his/her skills. Just a few images are enough; just take a snapshot of your wife/husband/friend/neighbor or whoever to have an image to show your skills on.

Let’s assume I’m a publisher and I’m seeking for a skilled retoucher. The first step is to inform myself who are available; the next step is to view their websites. If I must choose, for example, between Ant and Chris, I would choose Chris in an instant, because I can see his work without any extra effort.

Maybe it’s not normal too have websites in your business, well this is the moment to distinct yourself from the mass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 AM

They can steal your images, but not your talent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 AM

Let's get back on track or start another thread on copyright and web safety...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
Let's get back on track or start another thread on copyright and web safety...
I agree, that’s something already discussed to death years ago.

I wanted too see how the experts retouch an image and especially the skin. I was amazed that some of the so called experts have no work they can show (besides Chris). Especially in this working field I think it’s strange.

[Btw, I’m a famous photographer and my work has been sold all over the world. I’m working for Vogue, Elle, Cosmo and many other glossy magazines in many countries. Oh, sorry I don’t have a website or other places were I can show you my work. … but believe me I can give very good advice. ]

Seriously, is this such a strange question?

-------------------------------------------------
[edit]
Since I’m going in circles and I don’t think the so called experts I mention are willing to share their work (or their 'secret techniques') I will stop with this thread. It’s going off-topic anyway.

All experts who showed their work or helped me with suggestions and real tips, thank you for your time and willingness, it’s really appreciated by me and other newbie’s.

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-02-2008 at 07:37 AM. Reason: final words added
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 07:38 AM

I agree with you Hendrik. I don't see why people can't throw together a website (get a contractor from elance or rentacoder for 500 bucks that will design a breathtaking flash website for you) and put maybe just 5-6 images on there. Maybe even do some extra work by doing less important projects to the same high level of quality and getting permission from your client to display the before and afters.

But maybe some professionals are working exclusively for a magazine or retouching company and don't need to find extra work. Then they don't need a site because they don't need to woo potential clients. And they own no rights to any of the work that they do.

But I'll venture to say that your word holds a lot more weight if you show that you walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. Everyone here listens to what Chris has to say - partly because he offers great advice, of course, but also partly because he has a nice professional site with a few images that make an impression on anybody who visits. It's easy to believe that his future retouching DVD will sell more because of it as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangez View Post
I agree with you Hendrik. I don't see why people can't throw together a website (get a contractor from elance or rentacoder for 500 bucks that will design a breathtaking flash website for you) and put maybe just 5-6 images on there. Maybe even do some extra work by doing less important projects to the same high level of quality and getting permission from your client to display the before and afters.

But maybe some professionals are working exclusively for a magazine or retouching company and don't need to find extra work. Then they don't need a site because they don't need to woo potential clients. And they own no rights to any of the work that they do.

But I'll venture to say that your word holds a lot more weight if you show that you walk the walk instead of just talk the talk. Everyone here listens to what Chris has to say - partly because he offers great advice, of course, but also partly because he has a nice professional site with a few images that make an impression on anybody who visits. It's easy to believe that his future retouching DVD will sell more because of it as well.
Ant doesn't care if you believe his word or not. He sometimes gives good advice and he has bases to do so, but most of the time he is tired of ppl asking the same questions over and over and then DON'T EVEN LISTEN TO THE ANSWERS. Give it a rest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 PM

You guys just CANNOT except the fact that some retouchers just DO NOT get permission to use the images they worked on to show online. Even if they did have permission to do so, they have the right not to show their online portfolio to the general public andt only show it to employers when they apply for a new job, or to prospective clients. Not every retoucher that has an online portfolio needs to show it publicly. The original owner of the images and the retoucher would prefer the images to stay at one place only and not all over the web. Try take legal actions on someone living overseas in a developing country for stealing your work.
The main focus of this forum is to help each other and contribute in the various topics in retouching, not a place to compete who has the best online portfolio. If you don't want to take advise from people who take the time to write it because they don't have an online portfolio available for the masses...just don't listen to them...it's as simple as that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM

Another good reason for not posting a site would be the trafic it generates to your site. I'm a photographer. And when i keep an eye on the trafic on my web site i get to see how many people go see what, and i know it's because of my direct marketing. Then i have a fairly good idea how effective i was. Because most of the viewing is done by potential client. If i would post my site on every forum i would get a LOT more viewer but i could not use this tool as effectively.

I like when people post their site, but I Understand when they don't.

Last edited by zogdart; 04-02-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching