RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Old 03-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Amazing skin, only degrunge?

I have a question for the skin experts. I have sampled some skins with, in my opinion, very nice retouching. It seems the skin is intact with very fine detail, but without the blemishes.

I’m familiar with the degrunge technique. My question is, is this only done with the degrunge technique and selective sharpening (eyes, mouth) or are there additional techniques aplied?

Please your opinion.

example: http://www.xs4all.nl/~honey/fotograf...kin_smooth.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp skin_smooth exanple.jpg (97.6 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-01-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Upload imge - DannyR
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 AM

Re: Amazing skin, only degrunge?

DeGrunge, if used at all, on resulted beautiful skin is generally used in the beginning process to alleviate some of the major, obvious, outstanding problems that DeGrunging can solve.. Tis only 1 tool out of many used to achieve the results provided in your samples.. Although handy at times, it is not the cure all One Button Fix.

There is a lot more processes involved other than applying an astringent to clear the skin.. Makeup (color adjustments) and blending (D&B) also help achieve the illusion of beauty and good skin to start with is definitely a PLUS!

Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Thank you for your reply.

If you want to achieve this effect, what additional steps would you take?

[btw, I linked the image, because it's too large for this board (500k)]
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Patron

I will help with the resize.. You are correct there were artifacts introduced in the compression I had on here..

but let those with much more knowledge than I, answer your question .. (Which BTW has been asked in a variety of ways on this forum)..

The search button above may be more help than I could ever give

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 03-26-2008 at 03:48 PM. Reason: OP didn't want photo resized
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM

Thank you for your resize, but the reason I didn't choose a smaller version or higher compression is to keep the example in high quality for better judgment. I have almost unlimited bandwith so this is no problem.

Back on topic, I know there are various topics on skin retouch, but I want to try to determine the technique specifically used in the example I linked.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~honey/fotograf...kin_smooth.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM

In technical terms, it's called the Awful Bad Technique. You blur heavily, remove shape and texture and then high pass texture over the top with a lot of excessive sharpening after so you get that really sandpaper like texture to go with your 1997 CG model look. Throw in a touch of straight up airbrushing to make the skin completely without change in tone and color. Sometimes you can throw some noise in as well if it's not gritty enough for you. Basically, what you are after is pancake makeup mixed with cement, paint and sand and then baked at 700 degrees for an hour. Hope that helps.

Now go get your eyes checked. I know it may have been awhile since you've seen an actual woman in person and up close, but maybe look at a photograph if the restraining orders prevent you from doing so.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM

Ant is right.

I would highly recommend not pursuing this technique, as it only leads to a dead-end. It might get results that you like now, but in a bit after you've gotten better at retouching you'll look back on it and realize how fake it all looks.

I would suggest finding posts about Dodge and Burn (D&B) for a more professional approach. This is a much more powerful (not to mention professional) tool. To see how it's used within an entire workflow, check out this post:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...y-retouch.html

It'll give you a good idea of a pretty professional workflow. Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Yeah and look at that video too if a professional workflow is a completely unworkable flat file. This is so you learn how to deal with the situation when the client comes back next day and says, "sorry mate her skin looks like someone painted Dulux Summer breeze 250 all over her face, you need to do that again, and we need it before 6", you will have to rework the whole thing from scratch. Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 07:16 PM

markzebra brings up a good point, i've seen a few guys who don't know/like to work in layers, which is a major PAIN when picking up their files and trying to move forward or in some cases backwards...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2008, 08:38 PM

Hendrik

I understand that you like what you saw and thats ok if its what you are looking for.
It looks like it was blurred a lot, the detail recaptured with a mask, a noise layer added to the top of that and the opacity modified, then the original shot was pasted into a layer above it, opacity lowered to retain some of the "noise" below it.
Then it looks like they did a merge up of the layers and retained the detail mask. On that layer it looks like the emboss filter was run and then the highpass filter used to sharpen the whole image.

Again if this is what you like good luck.

But if you are trying to learn retouching towards a certain "look" or "style" please don't use it for paying work. Use it to learn what works and what does not work. Any info is good info because it will tell you what to use and what to avoid. Part of the techniques you learn from this might be good individually but it is doubtful they will be good as a whole.

Good Luck again.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching