RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

New beauty retouching book online

Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Re: New beauty retouching book online

Hi
I bought it. I think that a lot of work went into this book. A lot of HARD work. The images and quality are great. The before and afters are helpful. This book covers so much and all that it does cover I am interested in. I haven't been here in a while and glad I popped in and saw this posting. I can say I highly recommend it and would buy it again.
Charlotte
Yeah I too wish it was a book I could hold because I would be bringing it with me but glad to save the trees.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 12:24 AM

This looks like a good book.. After going to the web site and checking out the table of contents, I had one question though. Perhaps I looked at it too fast.. but does the author talk about dodge and burning techniques? I would like to hear from those who purchased the book.. Thanks..
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 02:18 PM

Dodging and burning is covered in a couple of different ways, in the Shading tutorial, in one of the two methods for Reduction of Pores, and there's a tutorial about using brushes. But there are alternatives to dodging and burning, such as the Color Adjustment for Smoother Skin. Won't got further into it here, but thought I'd let you know. --- Gry G
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

May I suggest that it would be useful to have an example chapter or portion of a chapter to download. The preview pages (done in a slide show) are mostly for show and don't really allow one to assess the quality of the content.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM

I purchased the book. I expected a different kind of discussion regarding dodging and burning.. I am in and out of the retouching industry here in New York as I am a musician (many musicians work in retouching houses in NYC).. I'm always looking to keep my skills up and apply new techniques. In one studio I worked at, I had the pleasure to work alongside a senior high end retoucher who's work finds its way onto many of the top fashion magazines. When it comes to skin, I can honestly say that most of our time was spent dodging and burning and I find that true in many retouching studios across New York.

I was just surprised that type of retouching was barely touched in your book..

That said, your book is freaking awesome. I am constantly amazed at seeing how a guru like yourself approaches their work flow. Even concepts and techniques that I am fully aware of, I love to read from your perspective on your approach.. as often I find that I can learn from others little things that I may over look or just some things I have not considered..

Great job on a wonderful book.. Good luck..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 04:55 AM

Glad you liked it!
It's true, although I offer at least 3 ways of so-called dodging and burning I don't talk about D&B at great length. Why? Because the principles are essentially simple. Make something lighter... make something darker. Preferably with a safety net and a threshold that stops you from going too far. What I do stress a lot is working with full editability, and developing the visual skills that ensure that you don't go overboard, and don't inadvertently change the shape of the face. I actually dislike the term Dodging and Burning, because I have printed both color and BW in the traditional darkroom for over 10 years, and I must say that the way we use it in retouching is not comparative to the original D&B. If we broaden our minds, a lightening or darkening adjustment layer applied locally through a mask is the same as D&B, whether it's applied with a gradient, a large brush, or a tiny brush. However, I choose to call that Local Color Adjustment – not D&B. For me, the really exciting thing is when you manage to find a way of selecting the problem areas, thereby establishing a threshold for the adjustment, so you can work with bigger brushes. For me, 90% of Photoshop work is color work – even sharpening is essentially a color adjustment. The remaining 10% is just moving pixels around.

I do a lot of work for the music industry, and apart from covers, most of the work has to be done pretty fast. I often get 20-30 press shots of an artist, to do in a day or two. Musicians – as you know – come in all shapes and sizes, and many faces bear evidence of a rock'n roll lifestyle. So I get no time to faff around (as we say here). They have to look perfect, natural, and effortless. All within 30-60 minutes. Often they are male, and there's no way you can make them look plastic fantastic. I would have loved to show you those before/afters but I can't. Their names and faces are too well known.

I thought long and hard about putting out an extract of the book when I released it. I could never find one chapter that summed the whole book up. So I am putting it on Google books instead, where you can see 25%. It might take up to 3 weeks. I have 2 books there already – both on color. They are the top 2 on this list: http://books.google.co.uk/books?q=gr...G=Search+Books
---Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM

this looks very interesting, priced right (unlike some $200 plus cd) and I am just about ready to buy it, just hoping the pages are formatted well for printing, I like to have the text in my hand and want to print few pages at the time, especially when I am working on one monitor set up.
Wish you success with this, not many good products on the market.
Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM

It's hi-res printable, and each user can print a copy for themselves. Any distribution of the book is not permissible – neither electronically nor in print. Of course it's Copyrighted and there are complete restrictions on extracting, copying or changing the text. To keep it environmentally friendly I suggest to everyone that you only print what you intend to work on. Save some of that Norwegian Wood for me. (Spoken like the true Norwegian that I am). --- Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 04:40 PM

I hate to ask this question and debated asking it but here it goes.
When running the Digital powder action I get this error message
the command select is not currently available
what am I doing wrong---sorry for having to ask
Char
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM

I can't tell you what you're doing (not psychic quite yet) but I can guess that you're getting a warning saying No Pixels Were Selected ... because you haven't painted the skin in (as the prompts you to do on the Stop). If nothing was painted in, it simply has nothing to select, and Photoshop warns you of this. But I say again – I can only guess at what you're doing, because you don't mention where in the Action it's happening. As I say in the ReadMe I recommend doing the actual tutorial before you do the Action. This action has been tested a thousand times at least, and it works. But do read the tutorial, roll up your sleeves and paint in. I suggest you try it on a flat image first time, just to keep things simple. As I say in the ReadMe for Actions, I cannot provide individual support. Everything is written in the book. It explains it better than I can do by email because you have the screenshots there. Let us know when you've sorted it out. Good luch --- Gry
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching