RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

New beauty retouching book online

Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Re: New beauty retouching book online

@ AFrazier,

If you want a really good book on color correction with curves I highly recommend Dan Margulis's Professional Photoshop 5th Edition. The book doesn't get into retouching per-se as it's written from a pre-press perspective. However, you couldn't ask for a better book for learning how do handle color and contrast in Photoshop which will be essential to your retouching efforts.

Also, looks like Gry has 2 books specifically about color on his website. I have not read them, but I can't imagine a book on color optimization that doesn't deal with curves. 3 e-books for £30 sounds like a good deal considering the positive responses in this thread. I'm just waiting for payday myself...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 04:12 AM

Curves is for me the most central and the most pure color correction tool. It features in at least 20 of the tutorials, and there are a couple of pages exclusively about Curves. In the Color Optimization book there's much more. When it comes to Curves it's not so much about technique. It's more about understanding how it ticks, and about knowing the primary colors in RGB and CMYK, as well as their effect on brightness. It's also about understanding how to make adjustments that are 100% productive, i.e. if you have a red cast but you want to keep the image bright, you might NOT want to lower the red channel, but instead lift the green and blue. Curves always affect the brightness, so any color moves will have impact on luminance. Mastering Curves is a matter of logic and knowledge. When I've lifted a color cast in Curves, the image always looks sharper, as well as cleaner. I do have one particular method that uses color samplers that I've developed and used for years. It's hard to teach but when people 'get it' they usually love it. However I chose not to feature it in the Retouching book, because I somehow felt it wouldn't fit there. --- Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 08:05 AM

I've actually been working with curves quite a bit. I just want to understand them a little more, particularly in the individual channels. I've found that curves work significantly better than messing with levels, contrast, etc.
With layers and masks, I've even been able to change hair and skin colors with very natural effects. It's slow and tedious sometimes, but accurate down to the pixel in ways that overlays and gradient maps never could be.
Pay day is coming soon. I'll pick up the books. You can never learn too much. Thanks for answering.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 AM

Hi All - For those of you who wanted to get a more in-depth taster of the book – just to let you know that Google books has picked up the Retouching book so that you can now see a (random) limited preview of it. It has a feature where you can search for a term, and it will throw up a list of all contexts where the term is found.The other books are also listed there. To see all, go to: http://books.google.co.uk/books?q=gr...G=Search+Books allbest Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM

I've known Gry's site and her work for some time - so I had no hesitation in picking up a copy of her books. Having spent some time with them I can say that they're excellently written and presented, demonstrate a high level of know-how and offer great value for money. You're getting expertise and know how from a top retoucher here. Buy them before she puts the price up

One great advantage to the way Gry has delivered the books is that the images in the pdf are high resolution - so you can usefully zoom in well beyond 100% for a close up look - something that's impossible in a printed equivalent of course.

I've no connection to Gry. I'm simply writing as a satisfied customer.

Mike A.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 05:18 PM

Will these books apply to my use with PS6?

Maureen
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Well, it's been a few years since Photoshop 6, and 4 versions since then. Let me try to remember... Colour management was implemented more or less in version 6. Layers were in essence working as they are now, and the blending modes used in the book were already there, but Groups were called Sets and Clipping Masks were called Groups. Tools were much the same but I seem to remember the Healing Brush came in version 7. Lots of other stuff has been implemented in recent versions, and although the principles of retouching will apply equally well to an older version, there will be lots of stuff that just didn't exist in version 7. Unless I'm getting you wrong and you actually mean Photoshop Elements 6. In which case I'd have to say that there's a reason there's a low-price version and a high-price pro version. My books are aimed at pros and they don't refer to Elements at all. So the answer is, you'd get about 60-80% relevance, depending on prior skills, and ability to be flexible. Hope that helps... allbest – Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM

I bought the color and retouch pdfs, really great info in there Gary thanks so much for taking the time to write them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM

I have all 3 books and I am very impressed with all them. Currently reading the retouch book and its amazing. I recommended to everyone.
paul
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2008, 03:05 AM

I bought it. Looks good but I have to finish reading it first to make a complete judgment.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching