RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

New beauty retouching book online

Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 AM

New beauty retouching book online

Hi all
I'm Gry Garness – based in London UK as a Retoucher and Photoshop trainer since 2002. I worked as a fashion, music and advertising photographer from 1994 until a few years ago, when the retouching side took over. I've also been a hair stylist and makeup artist for 14 years, and I've dabbled in journalism for a few years. These skills have given me the background for writing a book on fashion/beauty/portrait retouching. I have listened to your concerns about Lee Varis Skin book. I won't comment on it, but I will say that the e-book I have just released should give you a very good alternative, and couldn't be more different. It was originally commissioned by a major publisher. The deal didn't work out, but I went ahead and developed it anyway, as a labour of love I suppose.

It's called DIGITAL RETOUCHING FOR FASHION, BEAUTY AND PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY and it does exactly what it says on the tin. It's all about retouching, and is full of high-end published images... as fashion stories in magazines, covers, advertising, cosmetics campaigns, CD covers. This is the stuff I do for a living. At the moment I mostly do retouching for beauty, celebrity and music. I also train many of my peers, and this has taught me how to communicate the material. My training clients are generally professional photographers, operators, retouchers and art directors.

The book is primarily aimed towards photographic professionals. It’s targeted at those who either focus entirely on the retouching aspect, or photographers who do their own post-production. I think of it as a tool for photographers, assistants, digital operators, retouchers, and anyone who is charged with producing high-quality people-shots that need to stand up to close scrutiny and large output sizes. Based on my experience as a Photoshop trainer, the tutorials should be suitable for all levels. Beginners will have to grow slowly with the book, and I should say that retouching takes a lot of manual and visual practice – as I'm sure you all know.

I won't be contributing loads on this forum – simply because I'm too busy serving my clients, and also because I've said what I have to say in my books. Forgot to mention that I've also written a book on Color Management and on Color Optimization. All the books can be seen on:
http://www.grygarness.com/downloads.htm and my work can of course be seen on www.grygarness.com

I don't know if I've broken any forum rules by posting this here. But I think that this book can be a valuable resource and a great tool for those of you on the forum who retouch people, and especially those who want to learn to retouch in a more editorial, natural-looking way. I've already had an overwhelming amount of sales, and fabulous responses from various people in the business in the 10 days it's been out, but I also want to hear your views. The only negative response I've had (several times) is that it's not out in print. Well I thought you'd like save some money, save some trees, and zoom in on the images. How about that?

allthebest

Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM

Re: New beauty retouching book online

Been looking for something like this. Thanks, I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Looks good at first glance. Is there a table of contents available?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 AM

I was going to buy the book but when I clicked on the "Buy" button McAfee Site Advisor gave me this:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/phishing....pe=FF&aff_id=0

So I think I'll pass.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM

hey...this looks great...i think i will purchase it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM

Unhappy Re: New beauty retouching book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats View Post
I was going to buy the book but when I clicked on the "Buy" button McAfee Site Advisor gave me this:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/phishing....pe=FF&aff_id=0

So I think I'll pass.
DAYUM ARE U SERIOUS??? YEAH I BETTER PASS TOO..what a shame
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Hmmm, I don't know. I searched it in Google and it looks legit.

When I was ordering it redirected me to payloadz.com which automatically immediately redirected me to paypal. I verified it was indeed https://www.paypal.com/*** before buying... so... maybe I should change my paypal password anyways just to be safe?

Read up some more on payloadz, seems that this happened before but they're a legit payment company. Although it seems that their customer service is horrible so you might want to find another one

Read it at http://www.jonathancoulton.com/2007/...e-vs-payloadz/ in the comments

ALSO: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0297615.htm

Last edited by yangez; 03-28-2008 at 11:56 AM. Reason: did some more research
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 AM

by the way, the book looks pretty good at first glance. I'll be reading it more in-depth later and I'll write my thoughts
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Hi all

No phishing. I can guarantee that. Full contents listing can be seen when you click on the frontpage image on the website, as well as a small slide show of the images. There's also a short description of the book.

Actually I've been testing and using my payment and downloads system for quite a while now and it works pretty much 100%. The only thing that can be quite annoying with PayPal is when people haven't renewed their expired credit card information, and are not aware of it themselves. This means that the payment is by ECheque which takes over a week to clear, before they get the product. This usually happens when people don't use their PayPal account much... but that's another matter. Still – I have been impressed by how well it works, and if there's any glitch I am of course available for support.

allthebest

Gry
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2008, 02:29 PM

I can also state this is legit. I updated my CC before paying with Paypal, so thanks for the warning.

First impression is positive. It looks very well made. I still need the time to really read it, so I can't give a final verdict yet. (I really miss my full color ePaper reader now )

It seems there are pros who aren't afraid loosing their jobs when they give some help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching