RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching topics of interest

Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Retouching topics of interest

Split these posts out from a thread on "skin retouching."

Whatever you folks want to talk about = fine with us.

Suggest you start new threads on specific topics of interest.

DannyRaphael

=============================

...subjects that rarely, if ever, get touched on here.

let's see...color can go on here for months, just like mark said.
only thing is, these "new" subjects (threads) will only make an impact if users participate in them and take an interest, seems skin is the only fad out there these days. here are some quick ideas from me…

•color correction (sooooo many different personal techniques)
•hair, meaning cloning flyaways and cross hairs and nasty hairlines, adding new hairs to the edges of bad or sharp masks, building body or volume etc.
•hair, as in masking techniques (we all know how to do the body already)
•building a proper workflow, something that can be useful to anyone looking to work at a multiple shift shop one day, or work with multiple retouchers interchanging the file. can be very useful to the junior.
•there's prob some minor stuff to be learned about body shaping, some cool tips that ppl might have on it. it seems pretty straight forward, but i am surprised at how many people use the liquify tool, and don't take the time to repair the "pixel tracks" they create!
•maybe how to add a subject to a composite, and learn to read the lighting direction and how to correct it if it is falling in an obviously wrong direction on one of the composited subjects.
•maybe a little bit on UCR/GCR...just the basic understanding of it helps much.
•maybe product retouching tips...don't see too much of that though, or at least anyone asking for help on it, other than jewlery. never know, i'm sure there are a lot of kids who don't know about cloning with a "solar" curve adj. layer active.

that's what i have off the top of my head for now, there's more out there just need to come across it to remember it!!

some pretty cool tips can come out of these subjects that might help ALL of us.

maybe not everyone is interested in sharing their best techniques, and I can understand why, but ya never know...

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-01-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 AM

Re: Amazing skin, only degrunge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
chris, so many other subjects, that rarely, if ever get touched on here.

only thing is, these "new" subjects (threads) will only make an impact if users participate in them and take an interest, seems skin is the only fad out there these days. here are some quick ideas from me…

•hair, meaning cloning flyaways and cross hairs and nasty hairlines, adding new hairs to the edges of bad or sharp masks, building body or volume etc.
•building a proper workflow, something that can be useful to anyone looking to work at a multiple shift shop one day, or work with multiple retouchers interchanging the file. can be very useful to the junior.
•there's prob some minor stuff to be learned about body shaping, some cool tips that ppl might have on it. it seems pretty straight forward, but i am surprised at how many people use the liquify tool, and don't take the time to repair the "pixel tracks" they create!
•maybe how to add a subject to a composite, and learn to read the lighting direction and how to correct it if it is falling in an obviously wrong direction on one of the composited subjects.
•maybe product retouching tips...don't see too much of that though, or at least anyone asking for help on it, other than jewlery. never know, i'm sure there are a lot of kids who don't know about cloning with a "solar" curve adj. layer active.

that's what i have off the top of my head for now, there's more out there just need to come across it to remember it!!

maybe not everyone is interested in sharing their best techniques, and I can understand why, but ya never know...
I agree KR.

I am a newbbie in this forum ( I´ve just arrived at it to months ago) and I have seen that people only post about skin, forgeting a lot of things that matter in digital retouch.

I am trying to be High End Retoucher and I am working a lot for it (sometimes more than 10 hours a day, 5 days a week at least). Sometimes retouching, sometimes reading and learning, seeing high-end retouchers webs or magazines, or everything, showing to my eyes and to my brain how to evaluate and image (what to fix or not to fix (that the question, LOL), how far go, the color (wow, I´m going to be crasy with the color), and many other things that involve digital retouch.

I use this forum like a big learning reference, but I have been looking for other things that I am interested, and can´t find anything.

The items that KR has posted is a good reference to open new threads of discussing. High End don´t finish at skin, it goes so far away.

Thanks to everybody for all the things I am learning with you, day by day, and sorry for my English, once more time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1156 View Post
chris, so many other subjects, that rarely, if ever get touched on here.

All these are excellent suggestions and areas that would be beneficial to all to cover. I for one wouldn't mind talking about stuff other than skin retouching techniques.

The problem I see is that there is rarely anyone asking to see this kind of stuff and this forum is driven by questions from people and not the other way around.

And it happens with trainers all the time. I get asked a lot to do seminars or small group training. When I ask what they want to learn all I hear is "well you know... the usual" or How can I use photoshop better"

Now that we have a excellent set of suggestions from people how do we get it started?

This discussion should be moved to its own thread so that it doesn't distract from the posters question really.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 02:05 PM

Okay Chris,
I guess the new thread is here.

I will start questions to who ever wants to give their experience towards them.
I like starting at the top of the list.

Color Correction.

What's your preferred method for what tasks? Why?
When do you choose curves over selective color over h/s etc?

How do your color moves relate to print?
What workflow do you use to ensure colors and contrast
are within bounds/gamut. (talk about profiles, using RIPs,
UCR/GCR, calibration across devices, the whole can of
worms..)

How could this all relate to someone working at home
wanting to get better color from their work when getting
prints done at a local printing lab for example? (for those
less interested in high end production, but still wanting
control and better color)

After this, what's the best method for converting to web
for online portfolio's etc.

I'm sure more questions will arise but that should get things
started no?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
What's your preferred method for what tasks? Why?
I'm interested in the answer to this one..
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 PM

Re: Retouching topics of interest

me too.

Thanks for this new thread, I think it could be very interesting
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
This one's easy. In the words of Dan Margulis, "It all depends."

Curves are great for global moves. Hot shadows in a face suggest deficient cyan in three-quartertones, perfect for a targeted curve. On the other hand, a face that tends toward both yellows and reds can be damn near impossible to balance with curves. Selective color works just fine: pull a little magenta from the reds and add yellow, pull yellow from the yellows and add magenta. If skin tones are overall hot, a cyan (or red) curve can be a little tricky to control across the whole range. But since cyan is the contaminating color for red, that is, pulls it towards neutral, a desaturation move to reds can sometimes kill the heat without turning some parts blue. It took me years to fully appreciate that less is more with any of the tools, and also that no one tool is the solution.

One thing that makes me grind my teeth is when I pick up a file from and see Channel Mixer layers used for color moves. Drives me crazy. Not a big fan of flat tones in Color mode either, though sometimes a low opacity color blend can pull an image back into balance. Gotta be careful of any moves (like the last two examples) that merge colors since carrying them to their extemes gives either a neutral or a duotone.

Often, after a series of moves, I find the hues are in the right place, but the overall effect has been to deaden the impact, I'll pop a duplicate into Lab and pull the anchors of the a and b channel curves towards center about 5 or ten points, then drag the result back to my original, in color mode with opacity to taste, just to pull the tones back away from each other and give them back some vibrancy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM

thanks edgework, now I have something to try and wrap my head around for a couple days.

I feel as I'm getting the repairing of an image down and just need more practice but my weakness is color in skin tones, color by number in curves in ok but I still can't get the skin tones to where I really want them.

Chris if your reading this please include some color correction tech. in your dvd.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 PM

Agree to that "It all depend". First thing is what are you trying to achieve. Where you want to bring the image. Or what is client desire...Also want add the clothing is very important.
As for skin for example the image given by JavierT(Thanks!) i have used curves for general color balance and hue/sat for desat, but still was fixing the color shift with curves through retouching. Here is that link http://edgarmaivel.com/client/retouch.jpg
But for example when i work products i might do it with the curves(for color balance) and selective color and lab mode, landscape i like to do in lab mode(but first fix cb with curves).
Best regards,
Edgar

Last edited by DiamondsDr47; 04-01-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2008, 01:36 AM

am swamped with work for the next week. I will try to contribute to this when I can. (If I remember) Getting back into my lack of sleep patterns.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching