RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Luminosity blending the best techniques?

Old 04-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Re: Luminosity blending the best techniques?

Thanks for the tip Chris I would'nt have thought of blending it in that way!

Your right gradient maps can be used to control all sorts of things. I would be very interested to know how you use it to mask though. If you ever get time to explain I would be grateful to hear your method.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Mayday

I use gradient maps on a daily basis. Its my second favorite tool. It does work well for luminosity changes if set right. Its also great for masking but thats another thread all together.

There is so much to do with this tool. Its easy to get lost in it.
Chris
I totally agree... because I use Elements, and before I added the plug-in smartcurves, I got used to using gradients maps regularly for luminosity masking as well as replacing curves for tonal adjustments. If you add that there is no shortcut to select highlights, midtones and shadows, a set of gradients for those purposes is very handy. Most of the time, when using hue/sat adjustment I use either masks or duplicate copies above to preserve either luminosity or colour. (Well, I am not very concerned with skin retouch...)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM

I use the same desat+curve method all the time. master desat is usually -35 to -40. I'm using the curves layer in normal mode, that way I can add color to the highlights of the skin by tweaking the hi endpoints of the curves. If the color is too uniform, then I just drop the opacity of the desat layer. The desat+curve layers also even out color changes introduced by D&B, when kept on top of the D&B layers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 PM

For selective sharpening...in most cases this technique is very subtle but when working with strong colors this works like a charm.

unsharp mask to your liking
edit>fade>reduce opacity>set mode to luminosity.

done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Not too sure if anyone has heard of these actions before, I did a quick search here and nothing showed up, kinda strange as I thought they were common place in most peoples action palette.

I use Luminosity Masks on pretty much every image, mostly with curves and levels but they see plenty of use elsewhere in my image. I haven't had the chance to try out Tony's Saturation Masks, but thats for another thread anyway.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
KR

A little different than what I am used to. Different enough that I tried it. Normally I completely separate the luminosity and the color altogether, literally, and place each in their own groups. Every thing is clipped so it is nearly impossible for me to screw it up by adding a density move to the hue or vice versa. I don't do it often so it is a action I made up for when I get old. If I find the action I'll break it down and post it up here.

When I tried your method, I had a little difficulty getting the color back into the image after desaturation. Kind of looked like I had done a fill with color oa (wasn't worried with a mask just to try it out ). I know it probably depends on the image, but is there some kind of ratio that you use to determine how much to desaturate?

Chris

no particular ratio chris, just use my eye, the most important tool in our arsenal! it is something that needs a mask, OA it doesn't work well.

If i feel im looking a bit monotone, or lets say the original makeup on the face was perfect before hand, i will just brush on my desat mask to bring the original color back.

it's not the gospel, just another trick.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Not too sure if anyone has heard of these actions before, I did a quick search here and nothing showed up, kinda strange as I thought they were common place in most peoples action palette.

I use Luminosity Masks on pretty much every image, mostly with curves and levels but they see plenty of use elsewhere in my image. I haven't had the chance to try out Tony's Saturation Masks, but thats for another thread anyway.
I have heard of him. Found his site by accident about a year ago. Read his tutorials with interest as they use the same techniques I have used for years to make density masks for color moves. Density is just my word for luminosity for these masks as they are made up of the various density differences in each channel of an image. They are quick and easy to make as long as you remember the order in which to click on channels and when to inverse you active selections.
I use them for hue moves, density moves, detail recovery, adding and subtracting saturation. The list goes on. People should try them out. They'll teach you a lot about an image.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 01:56 AM

Here are some examples of the Luminosity Masks in use -

Lights

Darks

Midtones

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 AM

Amazing thread.

This technique (luminosity mask is fantastic). This kind of information is that i have been looking for. Thanks a lot

And thanks to KR to invite us to speak about something different than skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 AM

I made my own action set to create luminosity masks quite
a while ago now. Use them on just about every image.
I made actions for saturation masks also.
Great stuff.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching