RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

100% zoom view to perform D+B???

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Red face Re: 100% zoom view to perform D+B???

Quote:
Originally Posted by saby View Post
not just, but inhere

so this is not a fact

I agree with the rest
I'm sorry but I think you misunderstood me... (Probably I didn't make my self clear... my English is not native )

I was saying that THAT'S the only technical answer "At 100% you see what you'll see on the print." I agree with you.

All the rest... what we do... what he should do... there's nothing technical about that because each does it how it's best for each or something like that
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Re: 100% zoom view to perform D+B???

Maybe I've missed something here, but no-one seems to be mentioning that there are good zooms and 'bad zooms'. Good views are 100% 200% (but not 300%) 400% 800% 1600% and downward 50% 25%. Anything below this gets too small, but those of you who noticed a pattern – yes – it follows a logarithm. Any in-between views are proxy cached views where the pixels get scrambled. Sometimes you can really notice it, especially on those really odd views you get if you use the Navigator. The reason 100% is the preferred view for critical assessment of retouching is that this is the only view where the map fits the territory; The territory being your 72ppi screen. This view is not to be confused with the print size, unless you plan to print at 72ppi (not a good idea). D&B for fine skin detail at 100% or lower views can be hard on your eyes, and can lead to neck strain – not to mention a lot of near-misses. The view you choose will depend on your eyesight, your manual skills, and the D&B task itself. Fine skin detail dodging usually needs zooming in, to maybe 200-400% and with intermittent checking at 100% (or Window>Arrange>New Window for...). As someone who does this kind of work up to 8 hours per day I'd say it's the way I prefer to do it. But for more general lighting/shading work you need to see the whole face (or body part) so I suggest you choose the view that's closest to the full screen view on the above list. Be logical, be flexible, and work the way that suits your eyesight and skills. The whole point of fine detail D&B is to establish a good pattern – not to smooth out the whole skin. There are better and more efficient techniques if you need to do that. (BTW...this is NOT an extract from my retouching book, but typical of my approach to retouching.) http://www.grygarness.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Indeed that wasn't mentioned in this thread but it has been before.
But thanks for bringing it up again. I almost take for granted not
using 'inbetween zooms'.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 AM

Wow, this thread is amazing, thanks to all, who contributed!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching