RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Gradient maps different uses and techniques?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Re: Gradient maps different uses and techniques?

Thanks for the link Chris!
I've often got the gradient map for skin anywhere from 10%-50% depending.
Would be interested to see what you do for sure.
p.s how's the dvd coming?
Any 'color stuff' on it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM

I understand and agree. I have used gradient maps. You're right. Just adjust the transparency, perhaps adjust the hue, or sometimes the saturation if the color is too strong ...

That's not the point I'm trying to make. All I'm saying is that curves work better and are more true to the colors you are using during the initial colorization. All the rest of the steps are exactly the same. You mask the same, adjust the opacity the same, adjust the hue the same, etc. You just start differently to accomplish a final color truer to what you are starting with. To accomplish the same thing with a gradient map (which I can and have done) involves more work. That has been my experience in the matter.

Perhaps others have had better luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 09:46 PM

I know the point you were making. I was just pointing out that the use of the transparency sliders within the gradient map editor (not layer opacity/transparency) gives you tremendous control over how the color interacts with the image. Being able to have it transparent at the 25% mark and have it fade out 5 degrees from there, and have it have no transparency at 30%, but fade out at 40% is something you can't get with masking or layer level transparency. Being able to nail it down to specific areas is a simple mater of clicking in the image to find out the density and adjusting the midpoints between each color slider and adding a possible transparency to that area.

Once you have a setup for certain densities you can save that gradient for reuse later and just change the colors to suit your needs.

I am not saying this is for everyone, just pointing out ways that perhaps have not been used before by some. Most people do not realize that they have transparency abilities within the gradient map itself.

It was not meant to be personal AFrazier. Sorry that you took it that way. Did not mean to knock your experience of the tool.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Can't wait to see some screen shot before and afters, Chris. I know you're busy though. This is just one of the most compelling threads in freakin months.

I can grasp what you're saying in theory but I'd love to see visually a density problem area in a photo being corrected by a gradient map with sliders.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
I know the point you were making. I was just pointing out that the use of the transparency sliders within the gradient map editor (not layer opacity/transparency) gives you tremendous control over how the color interacts with the image. Being able to have it transparent at the 25% mark and have it fade out 5 degrees from there, and have it have no transparency at 30%, but fade out at 40% is something you can't get with masking or layer level transparency. Being able to nail it down to specific areas is a simple mater of clicking in the image to find out the density and adjusting the midpoints between each color slider and adding a possible transparency to that area.

Once you have a setup for certain densities you can save that gradient for reuse later and just change the colors to suit your needs.

I am not saying this is for everyone, just pointing out ways that perhaps have not been used before by some. Most people do not realize that they have transparency abilities within the gradient map itself.

It was not meant to be personal AFrazier. Sorry that you took it that way. Did not mean to knock your experience of the tool.

Chris
No brother, I didn't take anything badly. Forums are sometimes bad mediums for expression, lacking tone of voice, body language, etc. I wasn't offended, or under the impression that you were being condescending, personal, or anything like that. We're all just trying to share experiences and tips to get the best possible end results, and that's exactly how I took you. I hope you viewed my posts the same way.
My way is not the only way, or necessarily even the best way if you've mastered a technique of your own. It's just another way ... and I've found that it works better for me than the other after plentiful use of both.

It's all good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Most people do not realize that they have transparency abilities within the gradient map itself.
Though I did know that, I can't remember ever using it.
Need to play with this.

Thanks for the "heads-up" Chris.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM

It is more like color opacity than transparency, just to be clear.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 05:38 PM

I tried the opacity adjustment in the Gradient Map - doesn't work.

Looked up some tutorials - they say that the opacities only work for the Gradient Tool (drawing gradients).

Shame, would have been good.
Still, can always use "blend-if" for simple luminosity-based opacity control.

To brighten up ... here's another use for the Gradient Map:
  • Put black or white at the end points and a fully saturated colour at the mid-point.
  • Set the blending to Saturation.
Now, by varying the layer opacity, you have a useful saturation control, good for fixing flatness in colourizations.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 PM

Nice one Rô. Hadn't thought about that one.

I am going to get the lowdown exactly about the opacity in gradient maps. I haven't seen this myself all these years, but it could just be my eyes.

By the way, what are the links to those tutorials? Always looking for something new.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
By the way, what are the links to those tutorials? Always looking for something new.
Nothing special - just Googled around.

In fact, "nothing special" is in itself sort of special, because there are very few tutorials about the Gradient Map (most will start by saying that it is an under-used tool).

Mostly: Colourizing, masking and curve substitute for Elements.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching