Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Gradient maps different uses and techniques?

Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Re: Gradient maps different uses and techniques?

Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
The opacity is not active within gradient maps. Only on Gradients.
I know. Its confusing.

Thanks for answering Chris I have red here that using the opacity, for skin adjustments, is the key because something that I didn't get. Would you mind to put some of your knowledge about gradient maps for newbies or maybe a tutorial? Which will be better for your confort is okay. It's I'm a bit confused about gradient maps, but I use them because I found it quite interesting, but still without getting something more concrete about the uses and the function.
If you can give your reply an order would be nice too. It doesn't need to be long, but organized and substancial.

Thanks Chris.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 PM

This is a great thread, I've learned a lot, special thanks to MacBurg for the mixed set, it is a huge help in getting good skin tones that I couldn't get with curves.

Thanks to all.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2009, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by mayday View Post
I actually got canned once for using them to match clothing colors. The results were fine but no one knew what I was doing and got annoyed when I suggested that they ought to learn.
When you're working at a place where people have to be able to walk into each other's and work on a job, then it's really important to be doing work in a way that everyone that might need to work on the file can quickly understand what has been done. That's a matter of working closely together to explain new methods so that others won't be completely lost when working on your files on a day when you're not around or on a day when you're too busy with other work. And some of these methods aren't readily apparent. It's just like labeling your layers in an understandable fashion and keeping your work relatively well organized.

Meanwhile if you've discovered a better way to do something, it's kind of your job to explain it to the other people you work with. Suggesting that others should learn it isn't the same as showing them how it works and how and where it might actually be useful. Then you can expect others to share their methods and secrets and build a stronger collective working method.

There are a lot of retouchers out there with tremendous talent and potential who simply can't work in a group environment because their files are a disorganized mess (where no one else would want to work on their files) or because they're doing a bunch of things that no one else can figure out.

Hope you're doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 AM

love this post.
use Gmaps doing something...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching