RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What does "REAL" mean in Bridal Jewelry?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:36 PM

Re: What does "REAL" mean in Bridal Jewelry?

Thanks for all the great comments everyone and for the input.

The thing is that I still can't get one main boss to like my retouching so I turned for help. He keeps saying it doesn't look "real." When I get by a scanner, I'll scan something that is deemed "real" in his eyes. I keep working to stylize and make it pretty, but am hitting a wall with this guy.

vidir - what I did - lots of masks and close-in cloning and the oh so lovely smudge tool at 70-90% using shift to create crisp lines. Mask out the stones and apply separate curves to boost contrast.. Burn natural shadows and dodge the highlights throughout.

I know it's so much about the photography, but I'm not too knowledgeable on that end, but need to get involved. It actually was shot in a minute, but in a special box with fixed lighting... yet it looks like something should change on that end.

Again - thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM

"still can't get one main boss to like my retouching" - I’m surprised he likes the pic then….

What the purpose of this work, where are you aiming to. What’s the target?
“Real” is whatever perceived by human brain as real. The blowout gold is still perceived as gold. This image suffers from optical diffraction…etc
Best regards,
www.edgarmaivel.com

Last edited by DiamondsDr47; 04-14-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 AM

It's a bridal jewelry manufacturing firm. The images are shot for our directiry so sales can access it nationally. A;so for a cd catalog, ontro presentation slide shows, loops for retail stores to use, ads, trade-show graphics, you name it. 'Our' cleint is primarily the retail store. yet 'my' client is, you know. He likes www.zivajewels.com while I feel www.ajaffe.com stands out more.

Best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Believe it or not the best thing get the "right" pro or semi pro photographer for the job,
The retouching will be minimal, and company will definitely stand out much better
then those guys!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondsDr47 View Post
It's all depend, capture, usage, consistency. For example the image you have, will take a few minutes to make (I mean shoot, don't take it as a critique).
The images for the magazines are done with careful planning and setup (not all of them), there different type of equipment (consumer type dslr can bring you up to certain level only) and expertise used.
Also there is style and consistency through the line. Sure the capture is very important.
Best regards,
www.edgarmaivel.com
Alrighty... here I go again about reality. The jewelry company I'm working with moved forward and went to a firm (samples attached). The place specializes in jewelry so has everything set up in a high-end studio.

I'm sorry, but I don't like it. I prefer more flesh on jewelry... and don't get me started about the ring looking real. I had already posted a sample of my work... but I would like some feedback regarding THIS work. Compare - Contrast. I also attached a banner we're using.

Bestest - thanks for replies!
olga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diamondG00755.jpg (72.0 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg diamondG00762.jpg (41.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (65.0 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 02:42 PM

As someone who does lot of CGI work, the concept of making things look "real" comes up a lot. I don't know if it helps, but a quick look at the images, (yours and theirs)brings two things to mind.

1. They have the rings casting a shadow. This tends to make things look more "solid" as it is affecting its envirionment.

2. They have visible point/directional light sources, which creates better highlights in the gems and on the reflective surfaces. Totally flat light like that in a light tent never looks "real".

3. The only way to make an metal or relective item look totally realistic is to have a small (almost unnoticable) amount of reflection of the envirionment showing in the reflective surfaces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2008, 06:11 PM

Thanks Wierd. That's a thought that I had too: there has to be something else in the environment.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM

Hi, i don't know how the original files look like, to me it's flat, there is no realy good separation between diamonds and gold, also don't color the diamonds that much, as of banner small images don't really matter looks ok. In my opinion overall problem is that many companies trying to do photography for cheap(or not the right guy for the job) and as mentioned that before the equipment matters( and it's not cheap, eve to scan negatives), think about it people pointing to those huge companies like blue...who takes by price, do they have to use real pictures? nope they have a name and this is trust. Ok there is fashion companies they invest a lot in to it. So the small companies should make quality product photos in order to compete, they have to show the product that stands out, look at Tiff... they do it right...Sorry for generalization. I'll see if a can post some B&A tonight.
Best regards,
Edgar
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks Dr. I don't know what the original looked like either. Diamond Graphics shot and retouched this last pair of rings and I somehow thought that they were above and beyond work like this. You did hit the problem... there really is no difference in brilliance between the diamond and the gold. That's something to remember.

And yes - small images don't matter. I'll post the hires versions next week for critique. I really anticipate seeing some original DiamondDr47 'original shot vs final product' samples including info on equipment. I might pitch the equipment. I have some bug in my system that makes me want to perfect bridal jewelry. I had photo restoration in my system when I was younger and have that down to a science - now it's jewelry.

I understand all you're saying about high and low budget systems and companies that know how to do it right... Tiffany and many others do it right. They also aren't cheap, nor are they dealing with the manufacturing and distributing on-site either. That's where I am. My crew have a mind of their own... they spend so much time, money and energy on producing and distributing these pieces that they have little time left to simply see what is better for them.

I really look forward to seeing some B&As. It will help me get my point across regarding my work, I think.

Bestest,
olga
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2008, 12:27 AM

Hi, Olga here is one sample, can be found in INSTORE magazine.
http://www.pbase.com/emaivel/retouching
Best regards,
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching