RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What does "REAL" mean in Bridal Jewelry?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 AM

Question What does "REAL" mean in Bridal Jewelry?

This is my first post so I hope I get it right.

Hi people.

I'm frustrated. Before I climb onto my soap box at work or post images for you, I would like to know what you think.

What does 'it looks real' mean versus "it looks fake - like a line drawing?" - especially when 3 different people have different opinions.

I'm dealing with a bridal jewelry company and am hitting a wall (on the left side and the right).

What is good jewelry retouching? What sucks? How much of a role does photography play in the final, considering the expectation: Photoshop cures all (aging, AIDS, dust, cancer...) Look at magazine ads (?) - personal work - for the source? You can provide websites. Befores and afters are actually crucial at this time. I'll upload, just wanted to test the proverbial climate before asking stupid questions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 AM

Re: What does "REAL" mean in Bridal Jewelry?

That is always going to be open for debate. Pick up any major store catalogue and leaf through it. If you want to keep it 'real' then the photography aspect of it is going to play the major role...it is imperative to have a clean dust free envornment, clean polished jewellery and good lighting. There should be very little retouching needed afterwards.

Last edited by Ziaphra; 04-11-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 AM

Look at Tiffany and David Yurman. That's real. Look in the middle of your Sunday paper. That's not.

I did "not real" jewelry as part of my regular gig for years. The silos alone nearly drove me out of the business. By the time we smoothed out everything the customer wanted smooth, they looked fake. Just the way they liked them.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks. I checked out the sites. I thought www.ice.com was actually kind of bad. Sorry. The bridal stuff is so blown out. Yurman, of course is amazing.

Ziaphra - the samples on your site are quite good!

Attached is a where I'm at - original image (I don't do the photography but it is done on site so I can work with him), my retouching which is said, "Does not look real - like a line drawing," and a version when I pulled back on the retouching.

How do you get that super crisp contrast (check out www.diamondgraphics.com ) without redrawing the whole ring?

Thanks so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retouched.jpg (99.9 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg original.jpg (99.5 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg pulled back.jpg (95.8 KB, 262 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 PM

I was being sarcastic about ice that was why I edited my comment above! Thanx for the nice comment, I didn't expect you to go to my site.

I like this edit of yours but the base could be worked on some more.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...5&d=1207936490
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM

It's all depend, capture, usage, consistency. For example the image you have, will take a few minutes to make (I mean shoot, don't take it as a critique).
The images for the magazines are done with careful planning and setup (not all of them), there different type of equipment (consumer type dslr can bring you up to certain level only) and expertise used.
Also there is style and consistency through the line. Sure the capture is very important.
Best regards,
www.edgarmaivel.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 03:06 AM

Thumbs up Re: What does "REAL" mean in Bridal Jewelry?

Great post guys. SnakeSuspenders good job! Would you mind explaining what you did and so forth?

Keep up the great job

Best regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 05:22 AM

I agree what Diamonds said.

Capture is very important in Jewelry. Be carefull or not is the difference between more or less postproduction time. I shot Silver and Gold Jewelry and sometimes I have to work for one cliente in very bad conditions, and obviusly, the pictures I get aren´t the same. Then, I have to work later with the computer more than I normally need.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSuspenders View Post
Thanks. I checked out the sites. I thought www.ice.com was actually kind of bad. Sorry. The bridal stuff is so blown out. Yurman, of course is amazing.

Ziaphra - the samples on your site are quite good!

Attached is a where I'm at - original image (I don't do the photography but it is done on site so I can work with him), my retouching which is said, "Does not look real - like a line drawing," and a version when I pulled back on the retouching.

How do you get that super crisp contrast (check out www.diamondgraphics.com ) without redrawing the whole ring?

Thanks so much!
Hi, Snake

I like your retouch, looks nice.

Good Job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2008, 03:42 PM

I retouch beauty, jewelry and other product but primarily jewelry and I also think you did a nice job. If you look through jewelry magazines you'll see such a wide range of styles; the good the bad and certainly the ugly. Best advise I was ever given was to make sure you know what your customer's expectations are and get them to show examples of the style and quality they wish to obtain. Can save you a lot of work.
~Nancy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching