RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Specific Schools for Fashion Retouching

Old 04-14-2008, 07:38 PM

Re: Specific Schools for Fashion Retouching

i have only seen a handful of job postings that required a 4 year degree, most were only concerned with experience and even then you'd have to pass "their" test to even be considered...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 08:01 PM

This is more what the cliend see; in this bussiness many doesnt care where has you been; just what you can do (what they can see from your portfolio)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM

I don't know what your education level is, but SVA is offering a masters program run by Katrin Eismann: http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/gr...id0=2&sid1=227

It's designed for working photographers so most of the classes are held in the evening.

Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM

I don't think you need to have a 4 year degree to retouch. Or even a 2 year degree. You have good experience as a photographer which is a plus. ANd having an eye for what you are going for is always helpful.

Your best bet is to find a person (company) who is experienced to take you on as a intern. There are plenty out there, and some in Canada also. I can give you the name of someone I respect as a creative and retoucher there if you'd like.

Some people will do this through the internet for you also. I have helped people out from a huge number of countries and those with natural talent have gone on to have great retouching careers. Not because I told them what to do but I was there to answer their questions and point them in a good direction. Everyone has their own style though.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 AM

Hi All

i think chris is on the rite track in getting advice online also form other retouchers .

I know from my own experience working for a portrait studio has been great to cut my teeth on retouching day to day . I have spent day after day working on countless good and bad photography and some good makeup jobs and some really bad orange looking clients that need to be corrected fast .

The biggest part of working full time and making a living from what you do is you have to love it and want to progress in the field .When i started my job i was asked could i handle 8hrs a day working in Photoshop ? well ive done more than 8hrs a day thats for sure but the turnover of images you work on is endless , but from this i have learn't what no one could tell you in a classroom . What works best as you will learn this over time with mistakes and pressure when a job has be turned around in the quickest time you can with another 40 jobs to be delivered in the next 2 weeks .
The next step is to work outside of your day job and to get working on test shoots and working with photographer's , hairdresser's, Makeup artist as they all need portfolio's and this should in tern help you network alot faster and give you more experience in the real world of day to day work and business .

Im sure we would all love to be getting 3-4 jobs a week worth $500 -1000 each but i think this would happen with time and hard work .

Take a look a photoshelter's blog and find a talk chase jarvis did for them when he mentioned spending a week working on his own book shooting 15-18 hrs a day and invested heavily in himself to make his book and client base grow .

Thats my morning Rant from London .

Have a good day everyone .

brett
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 AM

Hi all

I think levels of skills and professional standards vary from region to region, and within different parts of the industry, and you have to be very specific about the level of skills you want to achieve. If you compare a 'hight street' portrait photographer who does their own retouching for private clients at an affordable price with a high-end retoucher who retouches for advertising and fashion on massive budgets, you are looking at two completely different worlds. Let me give you an example of the latter. In 2003 a photography student at a London college started doing some 1-1 training with me because she was not happy with the PS training she received at the college. I could see immediately that she had talent, and we did a session every 3 months or so until she graduated in 2005. By then she was very competent at the Pen Tool, brush skills etc. and her general Photoshop skills were pretty solid. She decided to get work as a retoucher and started looking for work at various studios around London: Taylor James, Saddington & Baynes, Happy Finish.... She got a trainee job at Happy Finish in November 2005 and has worked incredibly hard there. 10-12 hour days and often weekends. After 2 years she was considered a fully fledged retoucher (although her work isn't up on the website yet http://www.happyfinish.net/). It's taken her 5 years to get there. By comparison my path was very different. I worked 14 years as a hairdresser and hair & make-up artist. I then worked 10 years as a photographer, and did all my own printing. I was taught PS privately by a 'guru' within the field, and then left to my own devices, reading every book on PS and comparing techniques a lot with experienced retoucher friends from Getty. I started retouching my own work for commissions, and then was asked by design companies to retouch for other photographers. I retouch a lot under supervision, and this is very disciplining, because you have to be efficient and justify every move, when the client is sitting next to you. Sometimes this becomes a hybrid of training and retouching, and I don't mind. I charge the same.

Are there any schools that train retouching? Maybe somewhere... But let me put it differently? Would anyone who spent 4-5 years getting to the top level through apprenticeship (or sheer resourcefulness) want to teach at a college, with the salary they pay? Not me. I train specific courses, but to train at a college for £30 per hour? I don't think any highly skilled professional would do that on a regular basis, every week. So my advice is to find the right level you want to aim at. Befriend people within the industry in your area. Magazines might need some help – they are usually big enough to cater for a work placement. Read all the relevant books – the good ones, the bad ones... and compare. They all have some merit. Set aside at least 3 hours a day to practice. Above all, use good, sharp, hi-res images to work on, and aim to keep it real. --- Gry Garness
Adobe Certified Expert, Photoshop

Author of:
Essential Color Optimization in Photoshop CS3
Essential Color Management
Digital Retouching for Fashion, Beauty and Portrait Photography
http://www.grygarness.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 11:53 AM

She accepted Happy's insulting "beginners" rate for 5 years then? thats durability alright.

Last edited by Markzebra; 04-17-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 12:16 PM

No – she was only a trainee there for 2 years but the whole learning process (through college etc.) took almost 5 years. But still a long journey. She's doing very well now though, and being amply rewarded.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Yep I heard they promised big things to many people. Unfortunately I've met at least a few that came out very un-happy. As a result theres a bit of a bad name now circulating about that particular collection of retouchers. Fact is most of the happiest happy's there were given a tremendous opportunity early on at places like Metro, when basic skills were still at a premium. They themselves had no problem earning good money while they were learning, and then left taking the clients they were put in touch with through Metro with them. And its all about clients.

There are a lot more people out there now, with the basic skills but that doesn't justify exploitation wages for people with more than 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately when theres a lot of spade work to do (paths,skin) and you match that with a huge quantity of people all looking for an apportunity, then you can see why this kind of thing begins to happen. These aren't the old Union days though
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 PM

If I had enough interest... I might start some courses... I'm based in Montreal. What do you think... would anybody be interested?

Roger Lafontaine
www.lafontaineillustration.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching