RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Specific Schools for Fashion Retouching

Old 04-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Specific Schools for Fashion Retouching

Hi there,

I've used the search feature, the FAQ, and browsed the site and I can't quite find the exact answer to my question(s), so forgive me if I'm starting a repeat topic.

I am a professional photographer who does mainly portraits, but more on the private side (families, kids, etc.) Occasionally I have done some commercial work for clothing companies and the like.

The more I get into photoshop (because you're always learning new things), the more I realize that I really have a passion for retouching portraits. I've decided I would really like to look into getting into that specialized field, but I'm not quite sure where to start education wise.

Obviously there are great books, online tutorials and forums out there. What I'm wanting to know is where would one look into applying to go to school specifically for fashion retouching? Is there such a thing? Most programs I've come across seem to be either full out photography programs with some photoshop added, or more in the field of a general art degree. Because of my solid background in photoshop and photography, am I off base to believe a four year degree may not be necessary and I could move more quickly into specialized training for simply retouching?

Any tips or information on where to start looking for such a program would be much appreciated. I've checked out the websites of a few schools (FIT, RIT, and ACCD among others) and haven't come across such a program yet.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Re: Specific Schools for Fashion Retouching

I'll also add that I am in Canada, but willing to relocate for school.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Great topic! I'd like to know too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Maybe you could hire a private tutor who is very experienced in Retouching. Couldn't cost much compared to years of college tuition. That along with certain books (Eismann), tutorials and forums, you could learn a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2008, 06:21 PM

I go to RIT and they don't have a specific retouching program but they offer retouching classes. I am currently in some and they are great. Its more about being efficient and retouching well then simply regarding one specific topic. I am in the visual media program which is photography with a focus like graphic design or printing so its more rounded. A lot of the non- shooting courses are really nice too. Just thought I would elaborate more on the RIT subject, I don't think the website does it justice. You might want to look at Brooks, they are more specified with there shooting courses but I don't know about retouching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 AM

I think its the type of business where you really have to try and get in somewhere,But the catch is you have to at least show some profiency and some promise

Just my opinion
zganie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Hi Rockability, I think this is going to make your day. Here is what you are looking for just to star learning. Of course, as Zgane pointed out it is not just about techniques but how you are able to apply them and how much you have worked with them:
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=566
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 AM

A Uni in france does the course in digital and you can major in retouching , although i think if your willing to relocate and study - id look at internships with companies like taylor james in london .

hunt down Mike Ruiz in New York and see if you can do an internship with him maybe as his digital work is really progressive
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Theres just too much competition for Taylor James, they used to offer low waged "trainee" positions, but haven't heard of that for years now. You wont get the time of day, the guy thats the production manager BH gets 100's of people expressing an interest and sadly lost any interest in even being polite.

Make sure you are listening to someone who's work you can SEE and respect and can teach you something - there are a great many so called tutors and books actually teaching at a beginners level, and great deal of very BAD advice out there. Most people learn by doing it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
Maybe you could hire a private tutor who is very experienced in Retouching. Couldn't cost much compared to years of college tuition. That along with certain books (Eismann), tutorials and forums, you could learn a lot.
This is a great idea and one I've seriously considered, although I would then lose the ability to get any scholarships or student loans. I'm not sure whether those are necessary yet but I hope it stays a viable option!

nevie - Thank you for that information on RIT. Perhaps I'll do some phoning and see what they have to say.

Rhasval - THANK YOU for that link! Looks like a fun thing to start with to actually just at least get going on something while I'm researching.

diggnikon - I hear of Mike Ruiz alot. Thanks for mentioning that avenue.

Markzebra - I completely agree about learning by doing and I know I'm going to have to weed through the advice over the next few years to find out what is really going to help me and what isn't. Thanks for the tidbit on Taylor James, I hadn't heard that until now. Good to know.

If anyone else that has gone on to have a career in retouching wants to comment on the necessity of a four year degree, that would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching