RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hair - masking/flyaways etc

Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM

Re: Hair - masking/flyaways etc

Yeah Eisman (.....fill in expletive), but remember not everyone has had the entry ways that we had.
Sears is the real world not Harpers Bazaar. Terry Richardson being the exception.
Margulis is special however. Can aesthetic be taught? I'm not sure but technique certainly can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I can't wait until we go back to that androgynous look
Kids on myspace and in bands are already there and have been for
a couple of years. Who can tell the difference between a guy and
a girl on there anymore?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 05:09 PM

and here i'm thinking of shaving my head, i think you guys may have talked me out of it..at least until i get my tattoo...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 PM

Ummm... Have you guys taken a look at my pic recently?

I very rarely use the tools minimize and maximize. They are good tools to use and there is a great use for them with masking.
I much rather use a simple blur and tighten it with curves or levels.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I've yet to see an external software or plug in really make much difference.
Give the one I mentioned a shot, free demo. I've pulled fireworks out of the sky, and changed a background behind a transparent wedding gown.. it's quite effective. Perfect? not every time in every situation, but it's a whole lot faster than most methods in many cases. If nothing else, it gets you real close real fast.

With hair, like you said.. knowing what to do with it once you've got it mask out is really more important. A perfect mask doesn't necessarily equal a perfect image.

I use to do all sorts of insane channel masking (still do) and such, calculations, etc. but I can avoid a lot of that now. I learned a lot from Margulis so I tend to take a really seemingly odd approach to a lot of things but I mostly use those techniques for color corrections now.

Kyle
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 AM

Ha...who needs hair. I've been shaving my head for more than 8 years now. It started back in college when I was on the burger king diet and couldn't afford the barber shop and hair products. (Yes, I was that starving artist/student poor.) Now it's become my regular routine.

Anyway, I do want to see Adobe put min and max in one dialog box. It'll be even better if they put in a preview window and a fade slider. They're good for tightening masks for products or body parts, but not so good on hair. I find that even at the smallest radius of 1 pixel is still too much. 100% of the time I have to fade it and add blur.

PZ, Make sure you enjoy that moment if this is going to be your first time doing it, 'cause it won't feel the same again second time around. I can still remember that my head was so clear and I felt like that I had a third eye...or maybe I was on something back then...haha.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Rich View Post
There can only be one king of Spain Rhas, no more civil wars please.
Lol You are right, we have enough with the king we already have. Let’s call them just genius. lol

Getting back to masking…

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post

I very rarely use the tools minimize and maximize. They are good tools to use and there is a great use for them with masking.
I much rather use a simple blur and tighten it with curves or levels.

Chris
Chris, I do use max & min a lot. I’ll try to explain how. Since max & min expand white or black pixels without affecting the amount of grey pixels in between. I use Max & Min to take the black or white where I want them to be. This only works when you have enough space to expand or contact the mask, other ways I use gauss blur + levels or curves to give the amount of blur(Opacity) I want on the edges. It is just the way I'm used to work.

I did a mini tutorial so people can see what I’m talking about and how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel_monkey View Post
Ha...who needs hair. I've been shaving my head for more than 8 years now. It started back in college when I was on the burger king diet and couldn't afford the barber shop and hair products. (Yes, I was that starving artist/student poor.) Now it's become my regular routine.

Anyway, I do want to see Adobe put min and max in one dialog box. It'll be even better if they put in a preview window and a fade slider. They're good for tightening masks for products or body parts, but not so good on hair. I find that even at the smallest radius of 1 pixel is still too much. 100% of the time I have to fade it and add blur.

Ha…I still have a lot of hair, I’m a tough pic to mask …haha

I agree with you, it is true that max & min don’t work good on masks with tine hairs, I think it is because Max & min just make them thicker or thinner. In those cases I use levels or curves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QuickTutorial_Max&Min_Rhasval.jpg (89.3 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 AM

Yes max and min are useful for just that.. contracting and expanding a mask crudely - they do create blocking artifacts, and generally this is not useful for hair or anything where subtlty is required. I mentioned them only because the word choking usually means that to me.

Generally a point that Ive been repeating for years is that its wrong to assume you can always mask hair, and that its just a question of accuracy, mainly because its outer edges are so fine that they are transparent and reflect the background. Every book you will read will not mention this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2008, 02:00 PM

Rhasval

Sure there are times to use them. I agree. But if there are corners or curves there will be distortions on the mask, as well as the blocking that Mark mentions.
Plus I have found that one would still need to blur the mask for hair to enable proper blending of the background it is going on.
But I have yet to find an instance where it has been accurate enough. But that could just be the type of work I am doing.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 AM

Ok, Mark and Chris, I’ll watch out for those distortions and blocking. Thanks for the information.

One thing I found it useful is for light effect around or inside the edges of an objects, persons, …etc, where you don’t need a big accurate. But it’s true that all this can be done just with curves and levels.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching