RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

to much red when printed

Old 04-25-2008, 07:18 PM

to much red when printed

took with fuji s5000 hand held portrait mode

edit with Photoshop and when i print it is way to red looking

straight out of cam
http://www.box.net/shared/2dhbakav40

attached one I edited and a small OoC

thanks for any tips
OoF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00301.jpg (93.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 0030.jpg (87.7 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2008, 08:15 PM

Re: to much red when printed

OoF,
After examing the image data of your camera's jpg file, it appears that the camera was basically in the wrong mode for an outdoor shot in such bright light.

Your camera data is:
F-stop f/3.2
Exposure time 1/137 sec
ISO 200
White balance auto
Flash fired, auto, red-eye reduction
Metering pattern
Focal Length 15.4

The camera should have an "outdoor" mode that would have increased the ISO and decreased the shutter speed, resulting in a lower exposure and darkening the image. The white balance may have behaved better in the outdoor mode also, thus reducing the red and blue casts in the image.

I would recommend you read the manual a bit more and then experiment with the various modes in different lighting conditions. Since digital pictures are free, take lots in a specific order and even write them down if you need to. That way you can study them and memorize which modes to use when, and which ones work best with your camera.

Good luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 PM

OOF,

Are you printing on Epson? What model? I have all Epsons, a multitude of them and they always print red but for my R320 that came out of the box printing perfectly. After days of trying to tune in my 2200 I dropped the R320 profile into the 2200 folder and started printing perfect prints with it immediately. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Patron

OOF, with the exception of the blown out sky, I find the colors are bang on and do not have an excessive amount of red. If you check the color numbers around the image they are right within range. If they are coming out too red in the print, there is most likely an issue with your printer, or the printer settings related to color management, and / or your color management settings. Are you using color management? What model printer do you have? In your print set up is PS managing the printer color or is the printer set to manage the color?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 06:32 AM

I send my pics to wal mart they have a realy nice fuji machine and I get great results with it for what I use the pics for family and pageants. but on this one it is way to red when printed. It may be some thing I did in editing. My niece will be sending this one out with grad invites and exchanging at school. if I can find out what I did to make it so red. thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 AM

OOF,

Fuji has always printed a bit warm but it sounds like you are getting great results until this image. Comments were made about your camera setting which were true but after viewing your EXIF info it is not that out of whack and you should be getting prints that appear as you see them and the Fuji machine should be reading the film type and setting color based on the density (D-MAX) and calculating the exposure based on said density, film type and by shooting light through the color code bars on the edge of the film.
The image looks great on my monitor but I am sure the camera had a hard time calculatting exposure between the open shadows that she sits in and the blown out sky which is what we deal with all the time. It appears that her make up is a bit heavy which is giving her a red hue, then you have cyans swimming all through the shadows, on the wood and grass. I am interested to know if your print is red all over or just in skin tones. If it's red all over I would take it back with another image they have printed correctly and have them reprint. If they are just machine people and don't know photography tell them to drop in some cyan and a little blue til they get it right. My guess is it's their error and not yours. Hope this helps..

I am also confused about the images we are viewing here. Are they scans of the print that you say is red or your worked images from your computer that you submitted to them?

c
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2008, 02:42 PM

one is a out of camera resized no editing and the other is a reszied edited that I sent to wal mart.
and the link is full size out of camera no editing.

only printed the one I edited.

thanks you all have been very helpful
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching