RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Brightening & Bringing Up Detail in a Landscape

Old 04-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Re: Brightening & Bringing Up Detail in a Landscap

Last try, from the later posted original. Did a bunch of stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1810715-PhotoBucket-copy1 (Medium).jpg (92.7 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Patron

When you posted the original unprocessed image I just couldn't pass up the challenge. Not going to post a workflow on this one because I threw everything at it but the kitchen sink and, besides, I've learned that what works on an 8-bit image is not what works on a 16-bit one. So this one was just for fun.

I do have a suggestion, though, if you're really serious about resuscitating this photo. Do another 16-bit scan using the scanning software to stretch all three channels over almost the whole range of intensities. Then do still another 16-bit scan adjusting the three levels the same way for just the mesa part (this is likely to involve a little guesswork). Then merge the two. I say that blithely not knowing exactly how to accomplish the merge - that's up to the characteristics of whatever two images you end up with. You may want to do some fiddling (that's an official term, by the way) before combining. With any luck you'll end up with a merged file that has good enough color and tone, and a dense enough histogram, to work on further.

<C>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1810715-PhotoBucket-copy.jpg (99.4 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Very nice job Lurch. I agree on the scans. I would even think to scan 3 times, foreground, mesa, sky. You got a lot more out of the mesa then I could.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Patron

Thanks, Wm. Good idea to include a sky scan too - would give One4 even more good data to work with.
<C>
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM

That haze is a bit of an issue, it's just scattering the details of the mesa everywhere but your camera =) I liked Frank's b&w idea too, a nice twist with a bit of an Ansel Adams feel to it!

Here's my own try. Mostly curves adj. layers and some burning in the clouds:

larger version: http://www.downen.org/images/mesa.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mesa.jpg (98.6 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Thanks, all, for your responses and advice. Sorry taking so long getting back to you, but, well, you know.... I like Frank Lopes' B/W rendition as well as bd's, altho there's too much magenta in bd's rendition for my taste.

After looking at all your renditions, which brought out detail in the mesa, I've decided I want the mesa to be shrouded as it is in a sense of mystery, with only a hint of detail. You all have helped me decide what I want.

I played around with the image my usual way, just to see if I could achieve the effect I wanted. I think I used Auto Levels to get the image into some sort of recognizable and workable form. Then, I selected the sky, using the Wand tool, adding & subtracting to the selection with Lasso. I made a layer of that selection. Working on that layer, I did a Curves adj. to increase cloud contrast, then did some desaturation of the sky.

I selected (with the Wand, of course) from the base of the mesa to the bottom of the image to bring out the foreground better, making a layer of that selection, and using Hue/Saturation to enrich the plants.

I'm generally satisfied, now, with the image, but there are some problems that I hope you can see & that I need your advice on. First, to the left of the mesa is a selection line that follows the ridge to the mesa. I can't understand why that's there. Second, to the right of the mesa, the lighter hills in the extreme background appear phony. These are areas that had the marching ants of the sky selection. I don't know what to do about them. What do you think?

Then, along the base of the mesa, where I started the selection of the foreground, on the right side, there is an obvious disconnect between the base of the mesa and the foreground. Do you have any suggestions for repairing this?

Finally, about 1/4 of the way in from the left, there is a column of lighter pixels, noticeable in the sky. Should I just use the Clone tool and/or the Healing Brush to repair this?

You've all been very helpful and have spent some time advising me, and I owe you some feedback on what I've done & where I am. Thanks.

Here's what I've done, so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1810715 RetouchPRO.jpg (112.8 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching