RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to achieve the feeling of an vogue editorial

Old 05-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Re: how to achieve the feeling of an vogue editori

I must repeat a mantra, or what should be a mantra for you, that member Ant has posted.

LEARN TO SEE.

Look at the image. Take it apart. There is no quick answer. None that will make you a better retoucher.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 04:15 AM

I agree on it. and i know that there is no general solution but the tips you gave in this thread ( and i just found another one, where someone used two pics of this thread) helped a lot to get the right direction to test.
in the end it all depends on what your basis photo is looking like and what effect you want to achieve, but nevertheless you gave me a good hint!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
well that is what i also tried and i have to say that i get some okay results with it. of course you cant use it in all of the pictures because it has to fit to the feeling and situation of the shoot, but in general it is a nice if its not overdone.

but Markzebra, if I have the chance to ask a real vogue retoucher, I have to ask as much as possisble

lets take for example this image from above:

http://www.marcintyszka.com/location/images/001.jpg

of course it is a mix of a very good make up and styling as well as a good location. but it has this peachy look, that i referr to the change of colours, while retouching.

but i also think that the light makes it kinda flat, it is hard to describe, I mean that it looks very smooth and absolutely soft. do you think that is was like that after the shoot or do you have any suggestions on how to manipulate the light while retouching the image?

thanks in advance
Sorry Benny when it comes to Marcins work your looking at a film and a c print to get the overall look, yes there is cleaning up in photoshop but the magic is in the print. But I am also not saying that its not possible to do digitally with the aid of photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 PM

My forehead hurts from banging it on my desk.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 PM

Hi
I was working with Marcin Tyszka lately. I know some of his works, from shooting till printing. I may say that a lot of conceptual work is done before shoots, location, stylization, make-up, and so on, and so on...
And yes- from my experience: as photographer is better, as less work I have.
Tyszka is from polish first league . Some times when I process some of Artur Wesolowski images, I feel that my eyes become wet... I cant imagine that it is possible to make such a grate image. Grate photographers have divine talents!

And as a answer to Linkin, as soon as you get some images form top photographers- you will feel the right color of the image. Because THE Feeling is inside!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 PM

This is why Box is a thriving business.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 AM

stopa, thank you for that very interesting post. i just watched your portfolio and there is some amazing work!!!

i will try to take all your advices and learn by seeing images and getting the right feeling for it!

thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 03:09 PM

I am also a fashion photographer, and I am also always in pursuit of that elusive feeling that the 'pros' have (BTW: I shoot fashion editorial for Marie Claire and Elle, Czech republic). Truthfully, it is a combination of things- Great team, great location, great makeup, great assistant, great model, great idea. The image looks like all these things put together. Great retouching of course is key, but the image is something that is more often 'built' rather then just 'captured'. If you want to make images like this, you need experience, money and a strong creative team.

dennisonbertram.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESider View Post
Sorry Benny when it comes to Marcins work your looking at a film and a c print to get the overall look, yes there is cleaning up in photoshop but the magic is in the print. But I am also not saying that its not possible to do digitally with the aid of photoshop.
I think it's possible to get this from medium format digital. You need to know what your doing, but you can do it for sure. Prints are magical indeed, but so is a really talented DTP person. :-)

That said, printing is a heck of a lot easyier. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching