RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

how to achieve the feeling of an vogue editorial

Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM

how to achieve the feeling of an vogue editorial

Hey guys,

Ive been reading the discussions on this topic for a while and also studied the other threads in here, but I haven`t really found an answer to it.

What I would like to know is, how they achieve the editorial style, that we can see in magazines like elle, vogue and so on.

I mean I know that a huge part of it is to have a make up artist and a great model but there has to be more.

I do not want to know how to get a better skin on the models or how to sharp the image better Im taking about the feeling and the colors of the image.
Thats what I think makes the difference too many other pictures.

In the following examples Ill try to give you an idea of what Im taking about. I know that there was NO flash in use for this images. Some pictures were taken without any kind of additional lightsource and some were shot by using a reflector.
But I also know that these pictures didnt come out of the camera like that. there has to be done something in the post-production that gave it the final touch.

Well before I write too much Im going to show you what Im taking about:

http://www.shotview.com/artists/stef...?newHeight=634

http://www.shotview.com/artists/stef...?newHeight=634

http://www.shotview.com/artists/sess...?newHeight=634

http://www.marcintyszka.com/location/images/001.jpg

http://www.marcintyszka.com/location/images/002.jpg

just to show you guys a few...

and before you ask, yes I know that these guys are damn good photographers and that a large part is to have a good make up and model but I cant imagine that the pictures come out of the came like this.

so what is it, that creates the special athmosphere? how do i achieve such a light in ps and what do you think is done in this pictures?

Im really looking forward to get some helpful answers?

thanks

Linkin
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Re: how to achieve the feeling of an vogue editori

most of those pics dont look touched. I know one thing that jumps out is that there is some desaturation done...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2008, 07:14 PM

The colors looks peachy and the textures (contrast) are increased. Yes, there is that "desaturate-y" look.

There isn't a one-stop setting, it depends, but the images you've attached is consistent and I've made my observations aforementioned.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 AM

Yes i definetly agree with you when it comes to the desaturate of the image. but i have the feeling that there is something more done with the colors, what you call "peachy"

of course there is no general solution to achieve this effect, but maybe a guideline to test along.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM

shoot film.

Really not much is done to these, in Marcins case it is done with shooting film then having a c print made and scanned and very little more than some clean up. I really think people underestimate how these photographers see and use light and also some of their use film and traditional printing. Even if you look at Nick Knights work it is pretty close to how its shot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM

These images are NOTHING like what they were on shooting - I've contributed to Vogue editorials - 80% is photography 20% pure retouching, or more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 AM

I see, thats what I thought in my first post as well.
So if you have contributed to these kind of editorials we are talking about, maybe you have some tips to guide the direction. i do not want to know how to get a skin like that or how to setup the light, dont worry

but the feeling and colors of these images, that is whats interesting for me and even if i know that these are good photographers, no one can tell me that the shoots come out of the came with such a feeling of colors!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 04:32 PM

One thing that its relatively easy to do in retouching, by that I mean its less time consuming than other things, is color - when it comes to overall color, most good photographers have a fairly good idea where they want you to go on it. A simple technique like pumping yellow or mag into your highlights in Selective color can be effective for example

Cross processing. as an example. Its quite possible to simulate these old techniques, and improve on them digitally
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 AM

well that is what i also tried and i have to say that i get some okay results with it. of course you cant use it in all of the pictures because it has to fit to the feeling and situation of the shoot, but in general it is a nice if its not overdone.

but Markzebra, if I have the chance to ask a real vogue retoucher, I have to ask as much as possisble

lets take for example this image from above:

http://www.marcintyszka.com/location/images/001.jpg

of course it is a mix of a very good make up and styling as well as a good location. but it has this peachy look, that i referr to the change of colours, while retouching.

but i also think that the light makes it kinda flat, it is hard to describe, I mean that it looks very smooth and absolutely soft. do you think that is was like that after the shoot or do you have any suggestions on how to manipulate the light while retouching the image?

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 PM

You need to re-read my tip above about selective color again - that and simple masking - you can do a lot with this tool, work with it
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching