RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Has anyone else seen the new PDN Photo Annual?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Has anyone else seen the new PDN Photo Annual?

Just had to point out that many people in the biz got credit for these cool images. Art Directors, Art Buyers, Stylists, Makeup, Copywriters. Yes, Copywriters.

But, not one Retoucher is mentioned. Not one. sigh.

And this coming from a journal that features a monthly "how was it done" real life retouching process.

Last edited by Benny Profane; 05-05-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 PM

Re: Has anyone else seen the new PDN Photo Annual?

Benny, can I add you to a newsletter. It's purpose is to educate the masses. Pascal Dangin had a long but I think important write up in New York Magazine.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all

Gonna need your e-mail
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 02:08 PM

Rich, you think that was an important article? I think it was fluffy for the New Yorker and read like all the others on Pascal. Look around, the last year is full of interviews with him.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Ant, wouldn't it be nice if we could all fluff a bit without risking bruising some egos or ultimately loosing that client. Remember the article in the Times 4 years ago when he categorically refused to talk about his clients because it would be bad for them. The tone is a little different in this one. Now I do admit that it was long as hell.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM

I'm having some fun showing that article around at work today. You should hear the reaction from high level retouchers. Envy? Maybe. But I'll bet Pascal is envious of some major accounts floating around town that pay a whole lot better than Annie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Oh, BTW, I wrote a Letter to the Editor, Ms. Hughes, and she wrote a very nice response back about this problem. Maybe next year we'll (sweating and straightening tie, Rodney style) get some respect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Rich View Post
Ant, wouldn't it be nice if we could all fluff a bit without risking bruising some egos or ultimately loosing that client. Remember the article in the Times 4 years ago when he categorically refused to talk about his clients because it would be bad for them. The tone is a little different in this one. Now I do admit that it was long as hell.
That's true, I remember that article. Retouching in general is big in the public eye lately. (Can't believe they still use that airbrushing term so much)

Thing is, Pascal sells really well. He sold some of the right people and others jump on board. I know ad agencies don't like to deal with Box, but he's big with the big name editorial photographers that trust him and don't really want to deal with it. So, when they get an ad gig, he gets that as well. Funny, because he really hasn't even been around that long. We've been retouching nearly as long as he has, or more - you especially. He's become more of a respected art director and PR magnet for himself who happens to run a company that manipulates photos than anything else. In many ways, it's similar to the fashion industry in general - really makes a difference who's parties you go to and who you nuzzle up to.

I know that you and most of the people that we know wouldn't come near Box with a ten foot pole. Having said that, didn't Nickie, in the way back, do some time with him (like 10+ years ago?).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM

I noticed the absence Benny. Its not really surprising (to me I guess) though for them. I took out a 1/2 page ad in the PDN Photosource Studio Guide in 2006. Wasn't cheap. I think I was the only retoucher in there and they stuck the ad in the back among all of the classified ads. They never even returned calls for me to OK what they were doing with it.
They had the cojones to send an email yesterday too get me to run an ad again, as I was "a great part of it in the past".
And I wasn't even looking for credit, just clients. : )

As far as Pascal I give him credit. As much as I don't like to ( I have had to fix his studios work a lot in the past) he did pretty much get the retouching industry a huge boost. We both started retouching around the same time. He just happened to be in NYC while I was in Ct. As Ant said, the right place and the right people. And its not just Ad agencies that don't like to deal with Box. A lot of the major Mag Pubs don't either. I could go into more detail but its not right in Public.

I just wish some of the "fluff" would alleviate some of the huge misconceptions that the world has about retouching. BOth in how much is actually done and how it affects the "Youth" of today.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 12:20 AM

I find it almost a bizarre situation at times, this position we find ourselves in our profession. The public sees our work all the time, from billboards to magazine covers at checkout, and yet regard it with almost superstitious ignorance and awe. "We" get blamed for anorexia, and yet their appetite for Britney's latest train wreck is undeniable. I turn on my TV and see how the vacuous culture of empty headed celebrities rules our culture, so I understand how Pascal gets away with this crap. Did you read that article? Dear Lord, what a bunch of ___. And yet, in a very smart and hip town, he has a ton of people believing his stuff. Just imagine how it plays in Podunk.
Did he really give the industry a boost that it wouldn't have had? And what is he doing right now with this thing? I think he's hit a wall. Because people like you are better than him and cheaper, and less desperate.
Don't worry, sex always sells, beautiful people rule our fantasy world, so our profession is safe. They need us to fix things and make the world shiny and happy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM

Dude I have thought a lot about this but that is just the business.. Does the Songwriter or Producer get all the Credit for the Super Star SIngers..
NO WAY.
Do you know who or in what studio the latest Madonna album was produced..
NO
It is just the nature of the business. I happen to be a Photographer and I retouch basically all my stuff. And That is just the way it is..
Maybe you should think of a Career change if you have gripes with the Photographers..
And I do not mean to sound harsh but that is just reality.
Retouchers where I live are getting Big $$$$$$'s for what they do.. getting close to what I charge for Shooting... Plus you want all the credit for the image..:+}
Like I said.. I think you need to get over it.. and fast..:+}
It is a little different for guys that are doing full Composites that looked like they come from another planet.. But for touch-ups like Annie's doing.. Forget it.. there a ton of retouchers out there that would do it with out getting their egos involved..
You know what I mean
Might be something to think about.
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching