RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

problems smoothen awful background creases!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 AM

problems smoothen awful background creases!

hi there,
i am stuck trying to get rid off the awful creases on the background! usually i make a mask of the bg area and then put a gaussian blur over it. but the gaussian blur which seams to be the only way to get rid of all the creases creates some awful and strange lines. usually to add noise helps but in this case it just makes the whole thing look artificial and not good at all. especially as i have to lighten the background in some areas afterwards in order to bring out the shape of the clothes etc.
anyone who can give me some tips on how to smoothen the background instead?? i attached the unretouched image + a close-up of the main problem area.
please, i need help! thanks, jette
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic.jpg (97.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (99.8 KB, 211 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Re: problems smoothen awful background creases!

hi jette, have you tried the Surface Blur filtering? it works quite well (when you follow some simple rules),
I have tried a quick test, please find enclosed; this is my 1st post here, I hope everything will work ok with posting images);
a.
(sorry for my English)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic2_back.jpg (50.6 KB, 113 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 02:24 PM

sometimes you're better off recreating the background...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 03:01 PM

Jette, They are right but what you are seeing in my opinion are not creases or folds. Believe me they are much more prominent. That black background paper take on a blotchy look and it looks like to me that you shot tungsten or there was a bunch bouncing around that caused the yellow cast to enhance the problem. Two ways around it when shooting. They gave you the PS solution.

#1) Pull your model as far away from the paper as possible and don't stop down too much. You want that depth of field fall of in a portrait most times anyways.

#2) If you can afford it get yourself a nice sheet of black velvet. It can be pricey so try the bins at the stores that have pieces and parts. That velvet soaks up light like the Bounty Quicker Picker Upper. (One Sheet)..
Hope this helps.
c
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 04:02 PM

Try using the healing brush (with small brush) or the patch tool really carefull, then make duplicate layer, add a layer mask removing only the model and then you can apply surface blur to the background in this layer, finish with some noise.

Hope this helps.
Silvia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (7.9 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (94.5 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 PM

hey everyone! thanks so much for your quick replies (the retouching as well as the photography ones!) will try it again (hope it works better this time!!)
thanks, jette
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2009, 08:14 PM

recreate the background in 16 bit to avoid banding (after you done drop down to 8 bit)
duplicate the image then grayscale it place it on top with luminosity dropped down to around 25 clone out any of the more pronounced area's
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2009, 12:15 AM

My process puts this in patch tool territory. With some practice, that tool bests all others in it's category. Select the culprits, (the fold themselves, with about 15% buffer around the circumference, and drag to an area with the desired texture or lack thereof. Then move on to bluring and other work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM

One way would be to force the offending areas to be blacker than it is.

You could use two adjustment layers above the image. One to desaturate any color cast (HSL Adjustment layer)... and the other one is a Curves Layer with the curve pulled down so its OVERLY DARK to start with.

Then, take this curve layer... and do a Control or Command I (invert the white layer mask so it becomes black). Then, paint on that black layer mask with a soft, low opacity, white brush. That will cause your spots to selectively go blacker than they are right now in the image...and thus be less visible. Paint delicately and it will blend in so you can hardly see the offending lighter black areas. These adjustment layers are infinitely adjustable and dont destroy any pixels...so they are very powerful to precisely and selectively do the corrections you require.

There is a company called "Denny" that sells photographic background materials. (http://www.dennymfg.com/) They have a black fabric background material called "Photo Black" that is SO GOOD...everybody here in New York uses them. If you use that material...you will never have this problem again. They often have a 1/3 or half-off sale 3 times a year...thats when to grab a roll of this gorgeous "photo black" that really works... at a steal of a price.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching