RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Not that Pascal needs any more attention

Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Not that Pascal needs any more attention

So much talk of retouching the last year or so and TONS lately. Now The New Yorker is writing him up. Pascal still seems to certainly have quite a hold the market.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...urrentPage=all
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Re: Not that Pascal needs any more attention

"“When I see a print, I could probably tell you if it was a Pascal print,” Charlotte Cotton, the head of photography at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, said. “It’s immaculate, and there’s a kind of richness to the pixellation. It feels like you could almost sink your finger into it.”"

jeez, that guy must have a ton of charm to get away with this stuff. But, you know, high overhead is a bitch during a recession.......
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM

He does indeed have something. He knows how to get the media to come and write a story about him and retouching to keep him in the minds of others.

Something few of us can probably afford.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 AM

Interesting article, I almost got sucked in believing they guy has magical powers at one point. It's funny how people become so superstitious that they end up believing no-one else can do the job, when in reality there is probably some kid in russia who has just as much skill. It's like Vogue Italia with Steven Meisel; there are so many talented photographers out there, let someone else shoot the cover for once.........
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 07:42 AM

Very long read, but a good one. Over-hyped, probably, but his clients sure are top of the line...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVeed View Post
Very long read, but a good one. Over-hyped, probably, but his clients sure are top of the line...
Yes, but, edit doesn't pay nearly as much as advertising. I just can't imagine he's making very much money doing Annie's comps. That's a lot of hours.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 AM

He has cornered the market on the highest end work. He didn't do it through charm alone. Careful not to discount him. I would never work at his place, but if you do work there, you get to work on, potentially and depending on your level there, some of the living legends art.

Certainly there is hype, he seems to be excellent at that and us in the industry in NY don't buy all of it, but it's not like he does shoddy work.

Editing might not pay, but it's not about that. How many houses you work at that do all a photogs editorial for free, perhaps even capture for the understanding that when they shoot a big budget ad job that the house gets to do it? [ Greg Kadel The Veed? ] All shops do that. You build a relationship. Photographers are notoriously neurotic. Pascal provides assurance of excellence, or at least conveys that feeling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Oh, I agree that his stuff is great. But I'll bet he has, as I mentioned, overhead problems that won't go away. Big staff, glitzy building, PR agents and salesman. Both of which guys like you, Ant, and Cricket and others don't, but can still do the same quality work, probably better at times. We're now at a stage in this biz when someone with the right skills only has to invest 10-12 thousand dollars and find a nice dark room in even an apartment to work in, hook up to a broadband pipe, and they're in business. The only thing I see separating him and you is the hype, and, boy, he does that well. But the magazine business is slowly sinking into the morass that swallowed the newspaper biz, and they just don't have the budgets to justify him.

side note: I'm a long time subscriber to The New Yorker, and, I must say, I'm disappointed at them publishing such a puff piece - I know it's not the same New Yorker from the 50s, but still, it's a great read every week. But it is a Conde Nast rag, and Annie is a Vanity Fair star, so, I guess scratching of backs was involved.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2008, 09:19 AM

they couldn't find a better picture? so cheeeeeeesy.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2008, 05:09 PM

BTW, there is a before and after in the printed version of this article that would be flipped by quickly by most managers looking through a portfolio. Not much to see there. That's the only other image in the magazine with this article.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching