RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dave Hill processing, close or no cigar?

Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 AM

Dave Hill processing, close or no cigar?

This is my first post to this site and I'm still quite new to photography and Photoshop work.

Some people on another forum told me that this pic reminded them a little of Dave Hill's work. I didn't know who he was until I googled him.

http://www.foodologist.com/pics/RAGE.jpg

Firstly, I just want some constructive criticism on the pic (I have currently sifting my way through threads on this forum and have discovered that there are a few others that want to find out his techniques too!). I understand that the composition is completely different but I was wanting more comment on the actual processing.

Thanks in advance,

G
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 10:16 AM

Re: Dave Hill processing, close or no cigar?

no cigar, that's more or a zombie burn victim look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2008, 10:00 PM

wtf?
looks like a zombie, can't you see how messed up the skin is? Dave Hill has well toned skin
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2008, 11:30 PM

Doc,
While I don't think you'll be sending Dave Hill to the unemployment office anytime soon I do think your on to something with the photograph itself. I like it. But the post processing has got to go. Lose the smudging & blurring and try some burn & dodge to exaggerate the bone structure. I think it's got the makings of being a really good image.
JD
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the replies,

I did do a fair bit of dodge and burn on this image to try and 'sculpt' the face a bit but obviously not a great job. I have included here the original so you can see how much was done.

www.foodologist.com/pics/RAGEORIG.jpg

I think the zombie thing that everyone is going on about is the side effect from adding a lucis filter which Dave Hill appears to use an effect similar to. Looking around the net and closer to his images though, I reckon his lighting setup is more important than anything else.

I found that Lucis on its own is really rough on skin tone so what I have been doing is running through Portrait Pro and removing pretty much ALL the blemishes to get the skin looking pretty 'plasticy'. Then when you do the Lucis filter, it sort of goes back to 'normal'.

I agree with you, I will not be running Dave Hill out of town just yet and to be honest, I dont intend to either but it would still be nice to be able to hang my hat on something that looked pretty close. Anyway, keep on trying is what I shall do!

G
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 05:32 AM

Doc,
OK, sorry about the Dave Hill comment. It was just my lame attempt at humor.
As for the Lucis filter, I don't think any imaging professional worthy of getting our respect or admiration is using Photoshop plug-ins. In fact just my opinion and a lot of people would disagree but as far I'm concerned plug-ins are for Photoshop wimps. Better off using that money for Photoshop instructional material.
Getting off my soapbox; I really like your shot. I hope you don't mind but I took a shot at it myself. I see there is some real bad red blotch's on the face. Looks like your friend or model was giving it his all. I targeted the red blotches with Hue/saturation and corrected. Chriss Orwig has a good tutorial on how to get rid of that problem at Lynda.com. Lightened the shadows with Shadow/highlight. I cleaned up some of the blemishes on his face then used B&D on a separate layer to give it a caricature look. Added contrast to the hair with curves. Made a new layer on top. blurred it and put it on softlight. Adjusted with blend if sliders and adjusted the opacity. Anyway, it was a fun image to play with. I hope that was OK.
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg madguy.jpg (95.8 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 05:42 AM

Thanks JD. That was a cool and interesting edit. I'm still very much at the bottom of my PS learning curve (and my photography learning curve too!), which was why I joined this forum and I've learnt some cool things from you so I appreciate it very much. I'll check out some of the tutorials you mentioned.

btw Your sense of humour was not lame. The remark was funny but also true!

Thanks again,

G
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 01:37 PM

Trust me, if you ever talk to Dave Hill and mention Lucis, he will probably never speak to you again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM

lol....point taken!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2008, 04:07 PM

Doc,
No flies on the photography at all. Could use a fill panel underneath at 45 degree to fill in some shadows but you may already realize that. It's alway easier to analyze after the fact. Other than that the lighting, angle and focal length all good and the expression is great. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
JD
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching