RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

High End Retouching = not....

Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM

Re: High End Retouching = not....

I think that the point is that you need both. Having only one half of the mixture is only a half rate job most days. Even worse when blur and bad photography get in the mix. Unfortunately sometimes the good photographers/ retouchers have bad days. And then sometimes there has to be compensation on one persons end.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca Carosio View Post
High End Retouching (beauty/fashion)= not using any blur methods

Just don't do it! Natural skin texture is so great so don't ruin it!!

there is still many on here (and everywhere) that believe that is the route to go...and are shown these different methods from online tuts. that involve blurring, so should maybe re-think what tuts. to follow.
I don't suck up to people like many... this is a helping forum.. if you have help for all those blurry people then present it!

The PROPER tutorial to follow is where?

Your tutorial on how to do it correctly is where?

I think the answer to both of these questions = You should make a tutorial and post it!

I would be interested..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM

I agree, but with most things it comes down to how time, experience, and research. With a bit of hard work to boot. This website has made my retouching grow by leaps and bounds in a short time. There is still much to learn. But there has to be a willingness to learn and motivation to try. For without those qualities it falls on deaf ears. In addition, most of those proper tutorials can be found in the tutorial section of this website. There becomes the revelation for many, "there is no quick-fix, just time and attention". I posted a new thread that deals with that. "A whole lot of time and trouble", it can be found in the photo retouching forum. Maybe not too educational, but deals with an image that sometimes you wish you had a quick-fix for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 04:38 PM

yeaaa, you're not the first to mention but I'm still debating whether to do so or not (probably not)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca Carosio View Post
Obviously not if you look at my work. Mentioned it because there is still many on here (and everywhere) that believe that is the route to go...and are shown these different methods from online tuts. that involve blurring, so should maybe re-think what tuts. to follow.

We are all waiting for the links to these "good" tuts you mention here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 04:48 PM

You have to have aesthetics to be a good retoucher there's more to it than just dodge & burn
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
We are all waiting for the links to these "good" tuts you mention here.

Sorry haven't seen good enough ones!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 PM

It's interesting to me that without excetion (that I am aware of) EVERY trainer of note trains some sort of variation on the blured skin theme. Dave cross, Deke, Katrin, Chris Orwig, Dwayne Ferguson, Julieanne Kost, Jack Davis, Matt Kloskowski, I could go on.

Where are all the tutorials on this dodge and burn method?
Where are the tutorials on ANY method that is better than the different methods involving blur?
Once in a while someone claiming to be a master retoucher brings this up (not pointing fingers I've seen it more than once here recently) but they are unwilling or unable to provide a tutorial on the methods they use that are so much better.

Again not pointing fingers, just wondering what's the deal?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 06:26 PM

again I do not have my own tutorial nor would I tell my ways of work but it is obvious looking at my before/after's that there is no blur on the skin. Do I know of any good tutorials out there that work like I do, no. I've seen many that show the same methods that include blurring which I don't think it's the right approach, that's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Most people that know the correct way to retouch don't have time to construct any tutorials. Learning to retouch properly can take up a lot of your time.

A lot of people seem quite happy with the quick fix blur option because it's more immediate. If you really like the results that blurring produces and if you're happy with that look, you'll never be a pro retoucher. If you can't see the difference then you should probably take up gardening or something.

Professional results require a lot of patience and a lot of hard work and effort. A good eye and attention to detail won't go amiss either. There is no easy fix.

But your end result will set you apart from a lot of the amateurish nonsense that Bianca is referring to and the more you work at it the better and faster you'll get.

It seems like everybody that gets hold of a copy of photoshop thinks they are qualified to teach everybody else how to use it. Just put in 'head-swap' into Youtube and look at the utter nonsense that's out there, same goes for retouching tutorials.

Good tutorials are hard to find because the people that do it well... Are busy working. People that do it badly are at home making more youtube videos.
The thing is; There's a lot more people doing it badly than there are those of us that do it well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching