RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

A whole lot of time and trouble

Old 05-28-2008, 02:29 PM

Re: A whole lot of time and trouble

I don't understand what the original post is about. What are you saying about the image?

Another question: Are people willing to pay 15 hrs. X PAYrate/hr.
for one photo?
That has to be a lot for one image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live the Lie View Post
Thank you very much about that last couple posts. I would have left some of the fly away hair, but once you start removing hair and the delicate interlacing parts, you get perfectionistic. I tried to stay very realistic. There is tons more that can be done, but the cost versus the benefits is minimal at best.
I would have left some of the fly away hair, but once you start removing hair and the delicate interlacing parts, you get perfectionistic. I know what you mean.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 05:36 AM

I get paid flat rate per month up until a certain number of hours, and then everything else is negotiable for that one person. everyone else is "x per hour"
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 AM

I do 200 pics per day of people with wind hair(beach shots) for one of my bulk clients in the summer season. You will never make any money spending 15 hrs. on a picture like that. If that is truly the full resolution of the image that should have taken you no longer than 20 min. max. Taking in to consideration, smaller images that can't be blown up are hard, but seriously 10-20 minutes . You talk pixel by pixel but there isn't enough information there to do pixel by pixel on that pic any way. Am I missing something??? If I am , please enlighten me. I do not mean to be rude, just trying to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM

I understand your point, and it shouldn't have taken me that long to that photograph. 15-20 mins seems very quick fix to me. I don't have that workload of 200 photographs a day so my learning curve might not be up to where you are at. I don't use any other plug-ins, but i am not sure it would help in the first place. There is more done to that photograph than just the hair, but the hair was the longest part. When i said pixel by pixel, i meant the pixel structure of the photograph itself or it's native resolution. True pixel by pixel at 1600 percent is something completely different, though your perspective about it is well taken. And i am well aware of the cost vs benefits of the time per image, this image isn't as successful as i would like it, but i didn't want it too obvious that something was changed. Anyone that works in retouching can tell what was done to a photograph, even in print (with a half-tone pattern). We are all aware that something is done to photographs in print, but most can spot areas where we know what was done and why. Beginners learn, and experts teach.

Last edited by Live the Lie; 05-29-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: grammer
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 AM

I regard to the customer - people like photos for different reasons, some of which have nothing to do with quality! Expression, demonstration of relationship, body language fits their personality - in other words, not too cocky / not too wimpy / not putting on airs / not feeling fake / looking confident, whatever it is everyone is a little different. Sometimes bad lighting can actually be a good thing in lending a feeling of honesty to a photo for some people. I am not trying to give excuses for bad work (unless it is done on purpose), I am saying keep an open mind about the customers point of view.

Live The Lie: This is more a reflection of your personality, taking on the challenge of doing this as perfectly as you can because of how you feel about it. I don't think it was needed or probably even appreciated by the bride. She just wanted sweet, believable and pretty. For her it is her vision of her and their personality and a wonderful tomorrow's memory - for you it is a reflection of the photographer's/retoucher's skills. Her opinion is the important one, I say just make it pretty when you view the 8x10 at normal viewing distance - or was this being done 24x30 for the wall .... ?

Anyway, you get the idea.
Best Regards,
Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 AM

Well this was an engagement portrait, so it could have been 11x14 or 5x7. Depending on invitation and reception presentation. But i do agree that her opinion is the most important, but i don't want her opinion to be that it was low quality. I have been taught by few, and mostly learned on my own, but this saying holds true to all types of relationships. "Make the person who hired you look good at all times." Because if they look good than you look good, and their boss is very happy, and you are more likely to get repeat business. But it helps build honest working relationships. That is the main reason i started my own business. I got tired of giving a certain level of quality service and ability to do my job, and getting the credit passed off to the brand company. It isn't that the person didn't appreciate it, it is just that when they expect that service i would rather have them think of me instead of a national brand (and i was working in food service at the time, but the premise holds true to how i feel about all my work). I like seeing people smile and happy about their portrait. It means i did a great job for them and their reasons. But we are all trying to keep up with the jones. haha. Thanks for the insight Roger. I do like constructive points of view, i always try to be objective. And you are definitely right about the customer liking photographs for different reasons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live the Lie View Post
This is my first thread, so I think this is the right place and everything is posted right. If not I will update it.

We all know that it takes a combination of a good photographer and retoucher to make great images. Also there are other people like a MUA, Stylist, and other people contribute greatly. But sometimes, someone has a bad day beyond their control, and someone has to help. I am posting an image I retouched, and due to the "bad day" i spent over 15 hours of retouching (this estimate of time does not include research, filters, and other misc things).

FYI I am a photographer and also retouch images for other photographers. The image i am posting is a before and after (web quality), I might post the full-res if there is enough interest. And before anyone asks, I do have permission from the photographer.

p.s. After said image was retouched and shown to the bride, the mother of the bride was so difficult to work with, the photographer ended their business relationship. And there were just as strong picture from that engagement session (if not better), but this was the photograph they chose. The funny part is that the bride to be said "if you get rid of the hair in our faces only, it will be okay"... and i don't know about you, but no one I know would let that photograph surface and be attached to their reputation for public consumer view (wedding, invitations and such.)
Now, what was your question, Live, or your point?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching