RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The Cédric Delsaux Look

Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 AM

The Cédric Delsaux Look

guess lotsa people know about "the guy who did the star wars thingy", so i'd like to know how he exactly achieves this clean and subtle advertising-like look on his photos (esp his landscapes)

have a look:

http://www.cedricdelsaux.com/

or direct
Star Wars 1
Decathlon 1
Decathlon 2
Decathlon 3

there's two steps i'm trying to get my head on:

1st: the photo itself - how he manages to get that clean detailled shot
2nd: how does he work around in photoshop to get the colors this way (i've seen a way on the forums, where you take a curves layer in overlay mode and pitch the color-channels seperately, but does someone know a easier, more controllable and less destructive way?)

cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2008, 04:55 AM

Re: The Cédric Delsaux Look

I have seen that in many pictures he shows a look similar than the one you can find in the next link. There you can find how some posters (Saby) explains how to do it. Maybe it helps.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...midt-look.html

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2008, 04:57 AM

Ja,ja, that thread was open by you, ja,ja.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 AM

I have seen this style in many places.It is more used in advertising and that is why probably nobody will share the secret (unless you are the right person in the right place) and from what i saw here nobody will reveal real tricks and hints about the real retouching.For example common issues in fashion photography

averaging skin tones, knee related problems, make someone look thinner, giving certain looks (advertising, fashion magazines), perspective changes for tricking the eye and the list can go on and on, D&B for real , banding problems, make the paper (or other materials) uniform in terms of tones and light.

If someone is interested we can start a series of threads dedicated to fashion retouching with example photos provided where pros from this forum to be invited.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
If someone is interested we can start a series of threads dedicated to fashion retouching with example photos provided where pros from this forum to be invited.
Yes, please!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 06:50 AM

I seriously doubt it. Your post will be an endless trail of discussion with little real meat in the end...but possibly a few pointers you could end up trying
on your own. Cristian is right..no pro is going to reveal (step by step) their processing secrets and I really can't blame them. A few, however, do provide some guidance (thank you) that each of us can explore and practice. If you really want to know the trade, you either have to go to work for a agency that would provide you the guidance and training you wish or you need to develop your own style via trial, error and practice.
With regards to these photos they appear fake in that there is a background and subject that was probably shot at different times and later layered together. Definitely good equipment and lighting. A lot of masking.
I really have no idea...but that is what it appears to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM

Stefan,
Without going into great detail, you should read up on techniques for masking and compositing. Once you have high quality images from a professional photographer to work with (which Cedric has) then a professional retoucher does 60% of their work using standard methods. The final 40% is usually custom workflows that they develop for their clients style.

There are many good books out there. One that I often refer people to is Photoshop Masking & Compositing, by Katrin Eismann, 2005 edition by New Riders publishing.

But, it is easy to spot high quality work like Cedric's with clean crisp edges, brilliant colors, and plenty attention to detail. I hope you have great success !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching