RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Getting that very sharp crisp look

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Getting that very sharp crisp look

I have been racking my brain and trying many different things to get this look in photos. I believe i was beginning on the right track but i can not seem to get very far in it.

This is the look i was trying to achieve.
http://www.pbase.com/rokkstar/image/59278089

http://www.pbase.com/rokkstar/image/59359064

http://www.pbase.com/rokkstar/image/55046194

Im thinking he used high pass with a few other things but am unsure.

This is my best attempt (before i gave up and took my photo in a different/darker direction)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamar78...38908/sizes/o/

Mostly the first two that i showed. I have seen many photos with this look but cant seem to debug it on my own
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Re: Getting that very sharp crisp look

Tamar88,
It is hard to say what any particular person does as part of their workflow. Their workflow is part of their trade secret and kept close to themselves.

However, keep in mind that the look is as much as what our eyes perceive as it is what is done in Photoshop. Our eyes are quick to perceive an image as "sharper" when the contrast between lighter and darker pixels is enhanced.

I would guess that enhancing this contrast between the skin and the hair, beard, etc. is what we are perceiving as "sharp". This is why you are not achieving the same effect in your image, as the skin is dark and so is the facial hair. So, you will need to start with a different model and then work on a workflow that allows you to selectively darken the facial hair, while not darkening the skin.

There are many ways to do this and others may want to chime in on their techniques. I hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

Good luck !
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 PM

I believe it does. It kind of makes sense that the high contrast in the color would show sharpness. I also understand about the trade secret part :-), though i have seen many people use this sort of technique so i was thinking it was more common and i just didnt know the name lol.

Thanks, will keep working
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 AM

Hi Tamar88:

I agree Tommy. So many things involved in the final result you get from an image. Not only one magic key or step.

I have been working in some pictures with luminosity mask and I think it can works for this " Black located enhancing". I am not sure, but give it a go.

The link where you can read more about this technique is:

http://goodlight.us/writing/luminosi...tymasks-1.html

Tommy, my girlfriend was there (Raleigh) studying. In a HighSchool. I cant remember the name but I remember the sport team colors: Purple and Yellow. Cheers.
Good Luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 AM

I would recommend you to try out some prime lenses...50mm1.2 or 85mm 1.2 ...they provide a very clean, crisp and sharp look! The first picture you see the focus point is a bit of...It's sharper underneeth the chin then in the eye area...For me that means a very narrow focus field aka prime lenses....maybe I'm off....But you can also arrange this by using blur or sharp on the different areas of the face...

Gerry

EDIT: just searched for it on google found this link to a picture: 50mm 1.4 is used!

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/5014645-lg.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Also a good tip for people who search this type of effect is to search for lensbabies lens...a very orginal way of making focus effects...

http://www.lensbabies.com/

http://foto.no/bildekritikk/images/b_230185.jpg a picture taken with lensbabies 2.0

Gerry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 AM

Prime lens, good camera, great lights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM

Thats the thing. I do photography and have (actually a better setup) than this guy. He used a D70 50mm 1.8 with a single sb-600 and a shoot through brolly placed barely camera right and a little above with (im guessing) a reflector held chest level. (this is my decoding anyway... (he listed his gear and only named 1 flash, + EXIF gave the rest)

I am shooting a D200 with the same 50mm 1.8 (now i have a 105VR which i can try out) SB-600 and brolly + reflector. His setup was my first guess but i replicated his shot completely because i was just learning different lighting and love to TRY to replicate for practice.

@superkoax, it was shot 50mm at f/7.1.. That should give enough dof to focus the entire face (though i do see the haze in his eyes that you noticed)

Will definitely try that Javier, Thanks. Even if not his effect, i'm not all about copying, I might be able to find something new for myself :-).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM

Allot of his look has to do with how he sees and manipulates light. A camera is only a tool and there are plenty of guys still using D70's creating incredible images, it's how you use the tools you have that's important not the cost or how new your gear is. It definitely looks like there was work done on the eyes via a dodge and burn method, too much in the whites for me and possibly some desaturation of the skin along with the sharpening.

The image you took that you posted looks underexposed. I think with a little better exposure you are on the right track.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 PM

Her is a quick try!

Couple of curves layer,
one level layer,
3 high pass at different setting
and someting else but i can't remember at the moment....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 244_351358a15.jpg (94.7 KB, 249 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching