RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Taking digital picture of older photo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 PM

Taking digital picture of older photo

Hello Everyone I've been playing around with an older photo [high school grad pic 30+ years old]. My main problem is the photo paper texture little circles. I have read in your tutes about the fft-ifft filters. I downloaded the filters followed your instructions gray border and all and it took out 98% of the texture. But the photo came out with a dirty look dust artifacts, and a gray tint on skin tones. I also have neat image pro (nice program) learned about that at this site. I used it and it does a good job but I loose allot of detail. So as I read more in the tutes people talk about photographing the photo to help remove the texture. Where can I find more info about this technique. I tried with my camera but still have texture. My camera is an Olympus e510 I took the pictures out doors and I watched the light so not to enhance the photo texture. but the texture was still there. The scanner I used is a epson v350 ,the software is photoshop 7 and I read alot of your tutes. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find more info. Thank you for all your help Regards ED
Old 06-07-2008, 01:28 PM

Re: Taking digital picture of older photo

Without seeing the pic it is impossible to judge, or to advise you properly about it Ed. Why don't you post it so that we can understand what you're talking about?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 PM

Hello RokcetScientist Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I have six pics to show you what I mean. These pics where originally scanned in on epson v350 at 48 bit color res 300 175 lpi pic original pic size w2.17 in. x h3.023 in. I worked with pics as tiffs then converted to jpegs in optimized for web. I use photo shop 7. Img o1 50%gray border pic I started with. Img 02 after fft+ifft filter. Image 03 median blur of 3, 2 was not enough 4 to much. Img 04 Img2 stacked on Img3 then merged layers. Img 04 crop off gray border. I am just starting to learn how to retouch photos. I don't have photos after Img 04 using fft filter very bad attempts at repair. But I do have a final attempt when I used neat Image Img 002. I'm kinda proud of it. Might not be as good as others on retouch pro, But it was something to write home to mom about. If you zoom in on Img 05 you can see the dirty gray I'm talking about. I'm guessing it's gray shadows from the paper texture. Now neat Image did a great job but it softened the picture in the hair and alot on the left lower shoulder. the right shoulder kept it's detail. I do not have pictures taken of the photo. The scanned pics had less paper texture. When I photographed the pic outside the light angle at noon brought out the texture. When I tried it out under florescent lights indoors the looked like the fft filter in RGB. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I have read on you site about books to read I have photoshop 7 bible, CTEIN Digital restoration from start to finish, and this friday Katrin Eismann's book photoshop restoration and touching 3rd edition comes in. Read and practice read and practice ask for help. I hope one day to get better Thank you for your help Regards ED
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (72.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (48.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (46.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (60.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (77.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 PM

HELLO EVERYONE IMG 002 did not make it here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img002.jpg (67.0 KB, 33 views)