RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Aesthetics of Retouch

Old 06-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Aesthetics of Retouch

Hi, i think we should have blog or forum entry for it. Because it very important subject. People asking about specific looks, but it much more in it...Perhaps shooting style, retoucher style, processing(film) and all together..etc, etc. Knowing the tools and how to use them is one part of the story. But it's very important to educate yourself what makes a great retouch! Some members were stressing that there is need to learn to see.
This philosophy apply to many subjects of retouching, photography, printing...etc, etc I have found great help on skin through looking Chris Tarantino's work on his website(Big Thanks!). He have fairly big image sizes, that shows excellent samples of the before and after. I can definitely see more now...Of course it didn't answer all my questions, I got even more of them, but it's natural the learning process doesn’t stop if you pro or semi or just having fun at any level.
The more you look sensitively with awareness your vision grows!
Best regards,
Edgar
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Re: Aesthetics of Retouch

Also to anyone who is getting started in retouching. There is reality and perceived reality. Also look at how the body truly is. Some shapes look like they are perfectly strait, curved, or bent. But on closer inspection there are small changes in that shape. That is where the realism is. Slight imperfections are perfect, perfection is just unrealistic. Also squint when you look at something. The contrast will be boosted and your ability to recognize lights and darks help to see the shape. If you don't believe me look at clouds. You see the shapes but there are millions of gradations even in tones that appear flat.

And I will have to check out that website. Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM

You're right Edgar,

The learning never ends, but what is always needed is a sense of what is appropriate for the task at hand. If you use a few memorized techniques to create a particular look you can get very dramatic images, but they can all start looking the same. Unless it's your own "signature look" (which is fine), you can actually hold back the growth of your own unique vision by trying too hard to figure out what others are doing. In my opinion, what sets the best apart are the ones who know so many techniques that they can combine them in almost unlimited combinations AND know when to stop.

Rich Quindry
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 PM

Spoken like a true philosopher. I completely agree
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching