RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Do u consider your retouched photos "PHOTOGRAPHY"?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Re: Do u consider your retouched photos "PHOTOGRAP

After reading about Fox Talbot and refreshing myself on the chemicals we use in the darkroom showing the different processes for achieving the final result of a photograph, I definitely will consider photoshop another process.

And I agree with abdul10000 about enhancing information that is ALREADY PRESENT in the picture to be a photograph, and added information to stray away from photography.

Lighting Adjustments and HDR's are officially photography by that standard. I have seen some put their surreal colored posterized looking HDR's in digital art categories where they should be photography.

Now about removing skies for another sky. In darkroom days that would be considered photography and not photo composition ? hm.

Now about removing lightpoles from an image to remove distractions. All these case by case scenarios, I see the difference from that and trimming down a model or accentuating parts of a model, but I dont see the line of where photography ceases and another art form begins.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetamine View Post
but I dont see the line of where photography ceases and another art form begins.
Very true, its very difficult to draw a line. Though, there might be a way, and a novel one for that matter. Its called honesty; if a photographer is honest with himself he will most likely know when he is crossing the line.

As for "removing skies for another sky", I am not sure what you mean by that question.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 AM

remember one thing.....without photographers....there are no retouchers. not vice versa.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

i think that photography and retouching are two different things. you cant say a retouched photo is photography because you didnt take the picture of something looking that way...you changed it by using a program. so, no, a retouched photo is not considered photography (imo).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 10:13 PM

If I may indulge here and include my humble interpretation of things:
The ultimate (more or less) goal or desire of the photographer, retoucher, enhancer, etc, is to attain the envisioned ideal of what a given a photograph taken will contain.

Why else do we painstakingly think out our image before capturing; we gauge light, reflections, congruency of angles..? And after the shot is taken, why do we bother with retouching it, removing or hiding imperfections?

It is to manifest what we envisioned (or emulate what a client envisioned) with the help of such tools as Photoshop, and in earlier times, the actual dodge and burn done in the darkroom.
Everything from smearing the proverbial Vaseline on the UV lens prior to taking the shot to stretching pantyhose across it for the "angelical" look we as amateurs went for - it is all a form of manipulation, is it not? Yet we deem it all to fall within the same perception: photography/art.
So what if that Vaseline is now applied through a digital means; the end result, the inspiration a given finished photographic piece evokes, as well as any emotional reaction it may garner, it is this that, in my opinion, continues to define the photographic art.

Though we may have been shown time and again the trick of how to pull a rabbit out of a hat, to see it done with skill is still a magical thing to witness.
Such is what we, photographers and retouchers do, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 PM

an ex-gf of mine has hundreds of slides of michigan and colorado which are just breathtaking and there are no edits to them what so ever..she is someone that has very rudimentary skills in photoshop but she knows composition and how to use a camera, THAT to me is photography...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 AM

Absolutely. Photoshop replaces my darkroom. The idea is to get a powerful image that communicates, and there have always been limitations in the photographic process and in the subjects themselves that cause what is captured by the camera to have shortcomings. Whether it's showing too many pores in a persons face shot ten feet away or flat lighting of a landscape on an overcast day, photographers have always used every trick they could come up with to make the images look better. They put makeup on models and add coloring to a roast turkey. During the civil war, Matthew Brady would arrive at a battle several days after it was over and would pick up and move bodies around to make them look more dramatic. Photography has never been about capturing reality - just making it seem real.

Just my stupid opinion.

Rich Quindry
Digitally Enhanced Images for Advertising
www.Quindry.com

Last edited by Richard Quindry; 07-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2008, 12:10 PM

It's an interesting question.
I wrote about this topic indirectly with more of a historical perspective.
Check it out.
http://www.rich-imaging.com/news/may08/bd.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 AM

Here's my 2 cents worth:

I believe that all digital photos require some level of post processing/retouching (be it sharpening, curves/levels adjustments, etc.).
To me, it ceases to be "photography" when you get into the photo compositing or heavy retouching (i.e.: smudge painting and the likes).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2008, 04:38 PM

I would consider most of your retouching work to be cartoons

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 07-24-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching