RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photo Retouching (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/)
-   -   Do u consider your retouched photos "PHOTOGRAPHY"? (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-retouching/22203-do-u-consider-your-retouched-photos-photography.html)

synthetamine 06-19-2008 10:35 AM

Do u consider your retouched photos "PHOTOGRAPHY"?

On deviantArt there are TONS of art categories, and a very popular one is photomanipulation. There's some ambiguity between manipulations and photography. The gallery directors on dA say "manipulations involve two or more photos to be a composition", which is all well and good.

But in the photography side of things - on deviantArt and abroad - there are many purists, who probably just recently switched to DSLR's over darkroom.

My question is, do you consider your retouched photos photography. After you change hair color, eye color, remove "hair from arms" , eradicate and sense of pores from skin texture.etc

krisdaloo 06-19-2008 11:05 AM

Re: Do u consider your retouchd photos "PHOTOGRAPH

Absolutely... it's not your (as the retoucher) photography, but you can classify it however you like.
As far as the photographer is concerned, retouching is just another tool... just as important and part of the process as hair, make-up, printing or anything else involved in pre/post production.

JD Spears 06-19-2008 02:59 PM

Purists: Photographers who can't or don't learn photoshop.
If Ansel Adams were alive today he would be a master at Photoshop.

smak 06-19-2008 05:40 PM

What if you go to vacation to Disneyworld and you come back and replace all the dull skies with dramatic skies - and then show your photos to some friends and they say" Wow, Orlando really has beautiful skies - all the time, also."
What do you say?

lurch 06-19-2008 05:58 PM

I'd say "Nah, I photoshopped them"

pixelzombie 06-19-2008 06:04 PM

no, photography and moving pixels are 2 different things...

JD Spears 06-19-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smak (Post 196487)
What if you go to vacation to Disneyworld and you come back and replace all the dull skies with dramatic skies - and then show your photos to some friends and they say" Wow, Orlando really has beautiful skies - all the time, also."
What do you say?

I'd say, yeah it was beautiful, you should have been there.

synthetamine 06-19-2008 11:51 PM

so you consider photography as a skill you refine to capture on that first shot, no postprocessing necessary?

ashphotoart 06-20-2008 02:35 AM

beautifying the picture should be consider in the photography area.

Ash

JD Spears 06-20-2008 04:38 AM

Before photoshop ever existed, I and many others spent hours in the darkroom manipulating images including stripping in skies. Nobody ever questioned whether it was photography then. Why now?