RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Please critique

Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM

Please critique

I put a ton of work in to this. Let me know your thoughts, good and bad. TY!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2153/...a5f06e52_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Patron

Re: Please critique

Jackel123, welcome to RetouchPro!
Hope you enjoy your visits here and make many new friends!

It would be nice to have a before picture to to evaluate what you have done.. The skin looks very soft to me but if that is what you were going for you nailed it.. All in all it looks pretty good.. you did a fine job!.

Did you take the Picture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 07:35 PM

Welcome,

for me you used a lot of blur, the clock is unfocus. And I see a white point in her right eye, it inconveniences me a little.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 07:48 PM

@dodezaine- I can't believe I missed the eye...of all things! What a rookie!

@OlBaldy- Before image is attached. Thanks for the tutorial attached to your message. This all started when I blew the background but I couldn't pass up on the image. Yes, I did take the image; she is a beautiful model and excellent to work with!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4194orig.jpg (78.1 KB, 96 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Welcome jackel123,
Your off to a good start.
I would bring back some of the natural skin tones. Also you could use Liquify to round of her right shoulder and if you lighten the background up so it would be a little closer to the original value it would be more convincing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2008, 10:51 PM

Hi, I don't think you need to do a lot of PS here but I would try to improve on composition next time. For me the white pillar takes too much space also the leaf on the bottom is very distracting. Maybe tighter crop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 AM

If this is your first try it's a good one! But if you up for some constructive criticism; here it goes!

"tadone" makes a good point about the leaf and the crop! Since this is not abstract fashion shot, the skin should have more texture, not this blur effect. But if this is you personal taste, you have done right. Her right shoulder seem a bit bent, like a bad "liquify" job. Her neck has the same problem (near the tips of her hear). Sorry but these are dead give aways! You have obviously change the background. I am not a photographer but the depth of field doesn't seem natural. What blur filter did you use: Gaussian blur or lens blur? Lens blur is for recreating realistic depth of field, also background should be more out of focus like the original. But of course the original has blown highlight, so changing it is a good idea. Her left hand, as well as watch is out of focus, also the added shadow on the floor is not realistic. It has the same width trough, and her hand doesn't. Also the shadow should be more blurred, especially towards the end, since her hand is moving up from the floor. That gives you sense that either the shadow is wrong or the floor has the wrong perspective. Her right breast has weird black edge, clearly visible on her right hand. The original has the same edge - remove that. I'm sure there is also something wrong with the "new" lighting conditions, but as I sead I'm not a photographer.

This may seem like a too harsh account for the effort, but unless you know where you are making mistakes, you won't be able to fix them. My congratulation for the effort. That is the most important part. I if you continue with the effort you showen here, I'm sure you'll get a long way.

PS
My apologies for the spelling mistakes.
English in not my native language.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2008, 10:25 AM

I appreciate everything that's been said. I have tried to incorporate all except a few things.
I backed off on the skin blur
I copied her right eye
I fixed(?) the L and R arm
Cropped
Went with orig concrete, just darkened as best I coul
Saved in sRGB (better color- I missed on first save)

@MilanS
I think I gauz blurred the bkgnd. Got to get to know my blurs. As for the watch/ hand, I was shooting a very shallow DOF (1.8) which produced the out of focus. I'm afraid to mess with the edge you speak of, I think I would just mess it up more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4194rtp.jpg (77.2 KB, 43 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2008, 11:12 AM

@MilanS
I think I gauz blurred the bkgnd. Got to get to know my blurs. As for the watch/ hand, I was shooting a very shallow DOF (1.8) which produced the out of focus. I'm afraid to mess with the edge you speak of, I think I would just mess it up more.[/QUOTE]

You could try to sharpen just the hand in order to bring it into focus a little, but it probably won't help all that much. Liguify is a must tool for almost any type of "pixel manipulation" based retouching. It's not hard to learn and it can be quite a lot of fun! Lens blur is a filter specifically design for recreating realistic depth of field and that was exactly what you were trying to achieve.

The best general advice I can give at this stage is very important one.
When ever you are working on an image, and you are focusing on little details, you are missing the big picture. That is to say obvious problems are not apparent any more, because your brain is instinctively seeking areas of an image you were working on. So my advice is; to take a brake for couple of hours or even a day if you have the time, and then look at the image with fresh set of eyes, sort of speak. You should immediately see the image as most of us see it - objectively!

I hope this helps. And best of luck on your future endeavors!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching