RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How Do You Do This Effect - I Can't Figure It Out!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Re: How Do You Do This Effect - I Can't Figure It

Thanks all for your info - I'm learning a lot

A note to Peter S: Any chance to get more of the specifics of the settings that achieved the top half - I think that's a very interesting version. Much darker but would be great on some images that the other approach doesn't work on as noted by CrazyFly above. I'd also really be interested in seeing it applied to the whole image.

I appreciate your efforts and would like to be able to re-create it.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 PM

Hey John, I gave it another try. You'll see I tried to make your origional as close to the other origional as I could as far as tone and contrast. I did it all in raw, lowered the luminance on the lips and lightened the face, darkened the sweater. used the same process as before in Photoshop. Just had to play with the sliders some in bw. Th eyes arnt' quite the same because the other girl has blue eyes and yous has brown. You'll see a ring on top of the forehead, that's the deeper tone of orange in the skin caused by the shadow of the hat.
If you take it from camera raw into ps as a smart object, you could do the whole treatment and then open it in camera raw again and make adjustments there to color/luminance that will update on the image still in ps. I think with a couple of tries and going back and forth you could see what is causing which effect and get it nailed down pretty good.

Oh btw, it haskind of a gritty look, I think you could get rid of that with the color slider in details in raw. I see it as being an issue with oversaturation (I bumped vibrance up) and not with skin texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dFQ5W--1.jpg (98.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 83_dFQ5W--1.jpg (97.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brode View Post
Thanks all for your info - I'm learning a lot

A note to Peter S: Any chance to get more of the specifics of the settings that achieved the top half - I think that's a very interesting version. Much darker but would be great on some images that the other approach doesn't work on as noted by CrazyFly above. I'd also really be interested in seeing it applied to the whole image.

I appreciate your efforts and would like to be able to re-create it.

Thanks, John

Thanks for that, but it was just as I said in the first post, plus a levels AL and a little dodging to brighten the eyes, as they had gone darker than I wished.
The levels adjust was the the trickiest bit, I just kept playing with all the sliders till ....
I preferred the grad map AL way to desaturate, as it still remains adjustable later.

Peter.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching