RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help needed for a newbie

Old 07-07-2008, 08:24 PM

Re: Help needed for a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Reb,
A quick note to say thanks for following up with the larger images.
I'm sure you will get some very nice retouches.
I intend to work on them as well. The second is very nice ! Where were these taken ?
Hi Tommy,

I hope i'll learn lots of stuff here....

All the photos are taken in Miri, which is in Sarawak Malaysia...all small town next to Brunei.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
First I opened the photo as a raw file & did some adjustments- "pic1".
Then using 2 curves, I've retouched the face a bit-"pic2".
...and had a little fun practicing "DH".-"pic3"
Ok the curves seems really clear off my pores and stuff...how to do that?? Also what's a DH anyway....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye60 View Post
I did this very fast so it's far from perfect, but you should get the idea. I simply used a black paintbrush to create a cumerbund and lapel over your stomach.
nice idea...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Reb,
You had asked for some advise/guidance. So, here is an easy way for a beginner to smooth skin. Again, an easy technique that does not require much experience.

(a) Open your .tif file in Photoshop and duplicate the background layer.
(b) Click on Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise.
(c) In the RN dialog, zoom into your facial area. Adjust the sliders as follows and click Ok.
Strength = 10
Preserve Detail = 50 (due to the high resolution)
Reduce Color Noise = 0
Sharpen Details = 10 (again, due to high resolution)
(d) To prevent the effect from affecting the entire image, create a black filled mask for this layer by Alt-Click'ing the Mask icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
(e) To bring back the effect on just your facial area, we will paint white on the mask with a large soft brush with high opacity. We don't have to be careful, as the filter preserved much of the fine detail.
(f) Select a 40 pixel, 0 hardness, 90% opacity brush. Ensure your foreground color is white (hit D, then X). Zoom into the facial area and paint all over your skin.

This will soften the skin, remove razor stubble, and many blemishes. The effect is more for the areas of similar tonality (your right side). The forehead will require further refining. (See before and after below.)

For the remaining blemishes, use either the Spot Healing brush, or the Clone Tool (use either in a darken or lighten blending mode, rather than the normal default). They go pretty fast after an initial Reduce Noise approach.

I, or someone else will post a guide for using the Liquify Tool to reduce her shoulder (although they don't really need it ). Again, this tool is easy. Much easier than masking, cloning, etc.

Last edited by TommyO; 07-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Reb,
Here is an easy way for a beginner to reshape body parts. Again, an easy technique that does not require much experience.

(a) Open your .tif file in Photoshop and duplicate the background layer (or merge your work up to a new layer (Ctrl-Alt-Shft-E).
(b) Click on Filter>Liquify.
(c) In the Liquify dialog, zoom (bottom left) into the body part. Adjust the brush size to about 120 or 150 and leave the other settings as they are.
(d) Click with the cross-hair near the skin edge and drag to the inside very slightly, just a few mm's at a time.
(e) Move down slightly and repeat.
(f) When near water or that pole, always move horizontally to avoid tell-tale signs of what you have done.

If you move slow & slight, no-one will ever know !

Here is a quick sample of her arm.

Last edited by TommyO; 07-25-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebooto View Post
Ok the curves seems really clear off my pores and stuff...how to do that?? Also what's a DH anyway....
Here is a pic of the curves for darkening light areas. The light Color Sampler output values are replaced with the dark Color Sampler numbers. Paint white on the mask, covering the light areas. I used brush opacity 5-7%.

DH=Dave Hill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curves_dark.jpg (199.2 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Reb,
You had asked for some advise/guidance. So, here is an easy way for a beginner to smooth skin. Again, an easy technique that does not require much experience.

(a) Open your .tif file in Photoshop and duplicate the background layer.
(b) Click on Filter>Noise>Reduce Noise.
(c) In the RN dialog, zoom into your facial area. Adjust the sliders as follows and click Ok.
Strength = 10
Preserve Detail = 50 (due to the high resolution)
Reduce Color Noise = 0
Sharpen Details = 10 (again, due to high resolution)
(d) To prevent the effect from affecting the entire image, create a black filled mask for this layer by Alt-Click'ing the Mask icon at the bottom of the layers palette.
(e) To bring back the effect on just your facial area, we will paint white on the mask with a large soft brush with high opacity. We don't have to be careful, as the filter preserved much of the fine detail.
(f) Select a 40 pixel, 0 hardness, 90% opacity brush. Ensure your foreground color is white (hit D, then X). Zoom into the facial area and paint all over your skin.

This will soften the skin, remove razor stubble, and many blemishes. The effect is more for the areas of similar tonality (your right side). The forehead will require further refining. (See before and after below.)

For the remaining blemishes, use either the Spot Healing brush, or the Clone Tool (use either in a darken or lighten blending mode, rather than the normal default). They go pretty fast after an initial Reduce Noise approach.

I, or someone else will post a guide for using the Liquify Tool to reduce her shoulder (although they don't really need it ). Again, this tool is easy. Much easier than masking, cloning, etc.
TommyO....its really working for me...thx for the tips...probably i'll post some others question when i encounter here...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching