RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Car Retouching??

Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 AM

Re: Car Retouching??

Quote:
the car is a real photo, most of the times, and then you get the cgi of the enviroment.
In my experience (several years on GMC and SAAB), it is exactly the opposite; CGI cars are being placed into real environments. This makes sense for the company because they already have perfect 3D models of the cars modelled as part of the design process, it's just a matter of lighting and rendering the existing models for the ad work.

The CGI cars still need work, it's just usually less work than the real shots. The CGI cars never get wrecked on the way to the photo shoot... and yes, I did once have to de-wrinkle a quarter panel on an SUV from a $50k photo shoot.

Cars (and cell phones) have a lot of distinct shapes with hard edges. I use a lot of paths to isolate entire sections, then apply masked curves, paint, or gradient fill with the appropriate colors. Minor scuffs and reflections can sometimes be cloned out if they lie on a gradient with the right orientation, but if they are in a gradient with 3 or more axis then sometimes it is easier to replace the entire section.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 11:16 AM

I made a workflow tutorial for car retouching a few years ago, just found it on a backup drive yesterday.
It goes over the rudimentary, nuts-and-bolts stuff like fit and finish and masking/light illustration to remove and simplify environmental reflections. I left off on how to do drop shadows though, so it's not fully complete.

Here is the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/uxej5onnft

It's a 9meg .pdf file, so everyone should be able to see it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Nice tutorial Richy you should do a screencast.
Simon
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM

@plantphoto:
Thanks! Screencast? Like do this stuff live and field questions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 AM

No record the screen while explaing the retouching..basically a movie.
Simon
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 AM

What kind of things are you looking to do??? I have retouching cars now for around 10 years....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Hi,
I do these type of training videos for my members site I just thought Richies PDf might make a good video.
Simon
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
I made a workflow tutorial for car retouching a few years ago, just found it on a backup drive yesterday.
It goes over the rudimentary, nuts-and-bolts stuff like fit and finish and masking/light illustration to remove and simplify environmental reflections. I left off on how to do drop shadows though, so it's not fully complete.

Here is the link:

http://www.box.net/shared/uxej5onnft

It's a 9meg .pdf file, so everyone should be able to see it.
I enjoyed your tutorial. Was sad it ended abruptly - I hope you'll finish it someday or make additional ones.

Got two questions;

1. It appears you do your airbrushing first then hide with a mask. Is that true? Just curious because I typically do it in reverse (mask then paint) under the assumption I will better see what I am getting. Should I rethink this?

2. When working the side mirror shadow around the fender, what is your method for making the mask where the fender blends into the body (looks to be layer #34 or 35). I'm assuming you use the pen tool to follow the curve, but then what is your preferred method of softening the mask edge so the transition between surfaces and masks are smooth?

Let me know if my questions are confusing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 04:56 PM

Simon: Oh, I see. I'll take that into consideration! Thankfully, I'm still a little too busy to figure out how to do such a thing.

Flashtones: Glad you enjoyed it, and yeah it could be much longer for sure.

For your questions:
1. For that instance, I did the airbrushing first and masked it off afterwards, but lately I've been doing the reverse. So no need to rethink your workflow. It all depends on what you're comfortable with.

2. The first layer of airbrushing (layer 35) was essentially the base of the sheet metal, so it didn't need an exact mask. The next layer (34) has the fender shape mask, and I'm pretty sure I just freehanded it with a softish brush, probably a 25% hardness and around 50pixels wide. You can use the pen tool though if you prefer, and then just gaussian blur the mask so it's a softer blend.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2009, 06:11 PM

Thanks Richy, I appreciate you sharing the knowledge.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching