RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Car Retouching??

Old 07-04-2010, 10:17 AM

Re: Car Retouching??

Thanks. I know he's sampling some colors and somehow painting with brush, but i can't figure out how you paint something like this. He's painting it from sratch with gradient tool? It doesn't look like it.
I cant figure out how he got from the second picture to the third picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 11:43 AM

An educated guess I would say it's either built up with ovelaying grads on several layers or very carefully painted & blended.I prefer doing this type of stuff with grads as my painting skills are not that hot!
The lighter tones may be applied in Screen mode,getting the chrome look is what is going to really sell it.
Si
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 12:34 PM

It doesn't look like he used any blending mode. The tones look same, he just repainted the whole bumber to remove all reflecions and to even out the tones a bit. Its probably really only a brush and mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-06-2010, 04:00 PM

Yeah it's just sampling the existing colors and using the airbrush at a low opacity on a new layer to eventually repaint the entire bumper. I like to use seperate layers for each tone and blend them with layer masks. I guess it's kinda hard to explain, but it's pretty simple with some practice.
Also, i'm not sure you can do this easily at all without a tablet for brush sensitivity. If you're trying it with a mouse only, then it would be exceedingly more difficult I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM

Hi, I've recenty find this page http://www.carphototutorials.com/pos...otographs.html that explains some nice info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
Yeah it's just sampling the existing colors and using the airbrush at a low opacity on a new layer to eventually repaint the entire bumper. I like to use seperate layers for each tone and blend them with layer masks. I guess it's kinda hard to explain, but it's pretty simple with some practice.
Also, i'm not sure you can do this easily at all without a tablet for brush sensitivity. If you're trying it with a mouse only, then it would be exceedingly more difficult I'm afraid.
Thanks for explanation. I think I got it
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM

First of all thanks to luciengordon for bring up this topic that is infact very interesting.

Next thank you to all of you that posted the links of very useful resources.

Now I have new activities to get involved and something new to learn.

Thank you very much
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 AM

That pdf step by step was excellent. I imagine it would be tough to get every last detail down in a program like maya for print standards, where motion doesn't hide anything, even with the insane amount of polygons that go into car models. It just seems far quicker doing detailing in photoshop, and easier to gauge given that you're viewing rasterized data. Any of you guys that have worked on cars know how someone with a decent background in retouching overall would go about building up portfolio material for cars? I mean where do you start out for an area like that? Obtaining good raw material is a bit more difficult there than in other areas of retouching.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching