RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

First retouch attempt - C&C please

Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM

Smile First retouch attempt - C&C please

I've done some minor retouching before, but I used this photo of myself (taken by my husband) to practice some more extensive retouching techniques. I was going for the kind of "glossy men's magazine" look detailed in this tutorial. I don't like how the hair turned out (too blurry), but my main focus was trying to get the skin texture and effects of the face to match the tutorial. Comments and critique are much appreciated! (And if you want to play with retouching the original photo, go for it! Make me pretty! haha)

The Original Photo

The Retouched Photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 03:12 PM

Re: First retouch attempt - C&C please

Ok, first post ever here.... here's my take

Edit : Oups, forgot the curve adjustment, fixed.

Last edited by Yogue; 07-10-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KudzuQueen View Post
I've done some minor retouching before, but I used this photo of myself (taken by my husband) to practice some more extensive retouching techniques. I was going for the kind of "glossy men's magazine" look detailed in this tutorial. I don't like how the hair turned out (too blurry), but my main focus was trying to get the skin texture and effects of the face to match the tutorial. Comments and critique are much appreciated! (And if you want to play with retouching the original photo, go for it! Make me pretty! haha)

The Original Photo

The Retouched Photo
Not certain as to the look that you prefer, but I thought that your version was a bit dark overall. I used the original, did some skin fixing and color smoothing, levels and curves to lighten, placed a layer over-top in color burn mode and filled it with the color of your forehead in the retouched version at approx. 50% opacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KudzuQueen.jpg (96.2 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Wow, those both look beautiful! Thank you!

Gary, thanks so much for the details of what you did. I'm going to try your suggestions to play some more with the original photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Wow, those both look beautiful! Thank you!

Gary, thanks so much for the details of what you did. I'm going to try your suggestions to play some more with the original photo.
Yur quite welcome.

Looking forward to seeing yur results.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 08:06 PM

Also, I have to ask...how did you get my arms to look so great? I have keratosis pilaris, which causes red spots on my upper arms - which is apparent in the original photo. When I was working on different retouching techniques, I had a hard time getting rid of the spots without making the skin look overdone, but in your photo I have my dream arms! haha
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Also, I have to ask...how did you get my arms to look so great? I have keratosis pilaris, which causes red spots on my upper arms - which is apparent in the original photo. When I was working on different retouching techniques, I had a hard time getting rid of the spots without making the skin look overdone, but in your photo I have my dream arms! haha
Have a look at this tutorial for blotchy skin.. it's on page 10 I think.

http://i2.pbase.com/o1/mag/pbase_mag...0_july2007.pdf
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Patron

Quote:
I was going for the kind of "glossy men's magazine" look detailed in this tutorial. I don't like how the hair turned out (too blurry), but my main focus was trying to get the skin texture and effects of the face to match the tutorial. Comments and critique are much appreciated!
When you masked back the eyes in the tutorial you can also mask back the hair or anything else you don't want blurry.

The first thing before making any corrections.. make a duplicate of the original image and work on the "copy" of the original image. Label this new layer "Curves/Levels". (Double click on the layer name, type in the new name, hit enter)

Before making any major changes or starting a Tutorial, the first thing in the work flow would be to adjust colors and lighting.

To change the overall brightness, darkness and mid-tones use Curves (Main Menu> Image> Adjustments> Curves OR use (Ctrl+M)). Put the cursor on the center of the diagonal line and click and push the center of the curve to the right or left till your image is not too dull and dark - or too bright and washed out (this is just a very basic adjustment)

Next is the basic Levels correction. To bring up the Levels tool hit (Ctrl+L). Move the left (black) slider to the left edge of the histogram - this creates or improves the blacks in the picture. Move the right (white) slider to the right edge of the histogram - to increase the overall brightness of the picture in the whites area. Use the middle (gray) slider to get the mid tones corrected.

Next adjust the hue/saturation hit (Ctrl+U), you can adjust master colors (default) and the red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, magenta colors individually.

Then try your tutorial

A larger version of the sample without the info box is here

Looking forward to seeing your finished PinUp!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PinupSample.jpg (99.5 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2008, 09:18 AM

I think OlBaldy has you moving in the right direction. I would agree that you must work on your basic Photoshop skills prior to, or at the same time, as working on the retouch.

You need to isolate different elements (hair, face, arms, etc.) with masks and correct their exposure and tonality first. This will give you a better basis for moving forward with the retouching process.

Also, as a critique to your retouching, work on going slower and in smaller color increments. The color changes in the face are too strong, and thus, noticeable. Correct this by lowering the opacity of your brush or layer. There are also noticeable edges of color which is a result of both opacity and brush hardness (too hard).

Thanks for posting and looking forward to more !
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Smile Re: First retouch attempt - C&C please

Light Room and CS3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitpinuporiginal-copy.jpg (97.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching