RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Correcting Overexposure/ISO in Photoshop??

Old 07-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Patron

Re: Correcting Overexposure/ISO in Photoshop??

I have to agree with jam1212. You will need to fill image data which is absent. BTW, did you shoot the orig images in RAW. This is a classic example of why RAW format should be used. The original data off the image sensor would still be available, noit having been permanently converted as is the case with jpg. So the White Balance would have been a piuece of cake to restore. You still might have been missing some info in the overexposed areas but some of it if not all of it could have been recovered.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I have to agree with jam1212.
Me too. Maybe you can post a full size image on Pixentral and give us the link here. We could take a look and see if it gives us some more to work with.

Juergen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM

RAW is great and the additional image info it contains can help tremendously in most situations that need correction.

I've looked at the JPG in ACR and it looks like to get it back in the game you would need -EV2+.

+2 stops may be a stretch even with for RAW. You will still need to do some painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Lightroom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0898%20%28small2%29.jpg (97.1 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2008, 01:05 PM

No matter what tool u use zero information is still zero information. Really need the highest res image you have or better yet a raw file to even begin trying to make a decent image.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juergen D View Post
Me too. Maybe you can post a full size image on Pixentral and give us the link here. We could take a look and see if it gives us some more to work with.

Juergen

Hey sorry for the delayed reply, here is the link as you requested:
http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pi...rpxgSRooj#html

Maybe I should have shot in RAW, but the thing is I'm so noob to the RAW scene that I don't know what to do with it (ie do I need to convert back to JPEG afterwards and what is needed to handle it) afterwards. The other thing was that I didn't have the time to go RAW cause the person in the pic only had a minute or two to actually pose. :P
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
I have to agree with jam1212. You will need to fill image data which is absent. BTW, did you shoot the orig images in RAW. This is a classic example of why RAW format should be used. The original data off the image sensor would still be available, noit having been permanently converted as is the case with jpg. So the White Balance would have been a piuece of cake to restore. You still might have been missing some info in the overexposed areas but some of it if not all of it could have been recovered.
Regards, Murray
Sorry I shot in JPEG. I agree I should have shot in RAW, but the thing is I'm so noob to the RAW scene that I don't know what to do with it (ie do I need to convert back to JPEG afterwards and what is needed to handle it) afterwards. The other thing was that I didn't have the time to go RAW cause the person in the pic only had a minute or two to actually pose. :P And yes I didn't even think of shooting in RAW (just snapped away cause there wasn't any time). But thank you for reminding me. Next time I shoot someone, I will remember that RAW is best. (P.S. Actually this is the first time I actually got to shoot a good DAMN picture of someone that will be on a part of a magazine/periodical . So bear with me as I am a prosumer-type of guy still learning the ropes of photography. :P)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM

The image is white hot RGB 255 255 255 all over the place. You have to repaint in the detail since you have zero information not even a raw file would make a difference the exposure is so far off imho.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmarsalis View Post
The image is white hot RGB 255 255 255 all over the place. You have to repaint in the detail since you have zero information not even a raw file would make a difference the exposure is so far off imho.
Exactly.

That is what I was feeling too.

After getting the file in ACR it was clear you needed 2+ stops of recovery and RAW can do 1 so you still to deal with total loss of information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post
Exactly.

That is what I was feeling too.

After getting the file in ACR it was clear you needed 2+ stops of recovery and RAW can do 1 so you still to deal with total loss of information.
I guess I'll have to ditch this photo for another better one. I did take other shots without the overexposure, but I just thought this one is too good to be ditched and initially hoped this could be edited. But I guess not so anymore.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching