RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

You aren't going to learn it on the internet....

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM

Re: You aren't going to learn it on the internet..

:+}
Eric by the way...:+}
Not sure... Upgrading to the P30+ I think next week..
and the new Phase/Mamiya camera...

Just out of curiosity why the Post...:+}
Although some how I agree with a lot of what you are saying.. I learned EVERYTHING I know technically from the internet.
I would consider myself above average retoucher and I learned everything from net and VTC's. Nothing Beats VTC's. If your like me and like visual learning tether than reading words... They are the best way and of course like you say nothing beats hands on!

For Instance have study just about every tutorial there is for masking hair and until recently really getting my hands on and doing it did I learn it is not that hard and there are only certain ways to do it.
You can make your point across but after more than 7 post it may come across less harsh..:+}
Snook

By the way who are you?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughSteenk View Post
....This is denying the purpose of this thread...
... ??? ...What purpose? (beside giving vent to your own frustration) ...
Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
:+}
Eric by the way...:+}
Not sure... Upgrading to the P30+ I think next week..
and the new Phase/Mamiya camera...

Just out of curiosity why the Post...:+}
Although some how I agree with a lot of what you are saying.. I learned EVERYTHING I know technically from the internet.
I would consider myself above average retoucher and I learned everything from net and VTC's. Nothing Beats VTC's. If your like me and like visual learning tether than reading words... They are the best way and of course like you say nothing beats hands on!

For Instance have study just about every tutorial there is for masking hair and until recently really getting my hands on and doing it did I learn it is not that hard and there are only certain ways to do it.
You can make your point across but after more than 7 post it may come across less harsh..:+}
Snook

By the way who are you?
Why not? Sick of seeing crap. Sick of seeing links to this site. Unless you intend to sell something, there are maybe 2 real retouchers who might come here (Tarrintono is one, but he's a bizness man just pimping wares for the most part - thinly veiled). Reading through the threads here, man, hurts. Perpetuating badness.

As far as learning via tutorials. Sure, no secrets. It's all out there. Doesn't seem to be working though for most though does it? In your case, you are one who is already in the industry and knows how things should look and have a modicum of taste innately and/or from experience. Some people don't have it and never will nor will it expand from badness to something else because they don't/won't seek it out. It's not that hard. Practice makes perfect. Not rocketscience, never was. Being critical is more important. As for being one of the better retouchers, I'd say more of the better photographers who retouch their own work. I don't imagine you'd fare as well hired as a retoucher professionally. You do a decent job with your own stuff certainly.

Harsh? Look at that Ant guy, and he's not said anything that I've read that's incorrect. I of course haven't read everything but so far so good. Is this a social club?

My name is Hugh.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
... ??? ...What purpose? (beside giving vent to your own frustration) ...
Read the post. It's for you too. Why do YOU suck? How could you be better? There are helpful statements in the thread. If you fail to see them, fine. Again, posting statements outside of the thread topic are just derailing. Why question, I'm not wrong here. Who cares my motivation?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM

A moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. What is the purpose of this thread?
Old 07-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Why not? Sick of seeing crap. Sick of seeing links to this site. Unless you intend to sell something, there are maybe 2 real retouchers who might come here (Tarrintono (actually the name is Tarantino) is one, but he's a bizness man just pimping wares for the most part - thinly veiled). Reading through the threads here, man, hurts. Perpetuating badness.
Why not simply ignore it all if it hurts so much? Nobody here actually asked or forced you to come and look .. But more important ... why does it hurt so much???? ....

Why do you think that there are so many links to this site??? Obviously, unlike you, a lot of people don't think that we are perpetuating badness.
Quote:
Read the post. It's for you too. Why do YOU suck? How could you be better? There are helpful statements in the thread. If you fail to see them, fine. Again, posting statements outside of the thread topic are just derailing. Why question, I'm not wrong here. Who cares my motivation?
I did read the post .... fact is you didn't answer my question... You just keep on insisting and hiding behind the importance of staying on topic .. Topic that doesn't make any sense to me until I know the purpose of your outburst ...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
A moot question is one that is arguable or open to debate. What is the purpose of this thread?
Blowing off steam..?

Had a bad day Hugh...
You have to take the net for what you can get out of it...:+] Nothing more and nothing less.

What I enjoy are the Dragan,DAve Hill, etc.... threads...
Funny thing is.. they never get anywhere and they are MANY pages long!!
I chime in to ruffle them up a little, But they never get anywhere.
You have people like the member Mtmm that get really close and then bail and leave all the people hanging... Quite sad, but is usually how forum threads go..
I am a photographer and like you say retouch my images.. Would not think of retouching others work...
Snook
Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 PM

Oh well, it seems that our new 'friend' Hugh has decided to abandon the arena...

In spite of his way, I think he made some good points ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughSteenk
Look within. Use your damn eyes. Don't ask for critiques from those that know less than you. Don't submit for critique something that looks bad or is unfinished or imbalanced. .....

....Be more realistic and humble. ..... Get your monitor calibrated and do it regularly. Go to the museum. Look at high end magazines. Take a drawing class. Analyze light. LOOK at people. Get away from the computer. Take a photography class.
Anyway if a RetouchPRO riot or mass suicide was his purpose ...(he never said) ... he got yet another reason to be frustrated....

Last edited by Flora; 07-19-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:44 PM

Get a life Hugh.
Poor frustrated boy.
As you say bla bla bla bla and you even don't show what you really can do.

"Barking dogs don't bite"
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:

14 year olds are going to own you.

i've seen what youngsters do these days, they don't have the patience to learn from the ground up..you should see the look on their face when i tell them to use layers properly and to set their History States to 1...
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching