Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

You aren't going to learn it on the internet....

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Re: You aren't going to learn it on the internet..

you need to keep patience and be cool. If you make keen observation there are something in every advice/turorials on the net. adopt new things and add it to your skill. after sometime you will be a very-very good retoucher. I recommend you to see the video tutorials of basic and advance retouching.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:49 AM

Does one have to have a social disorder to be a "professional retoucher"? Maybe its because they get no respect and are constantly criticized. Think about it...even the "grip boy" gets credit at the end of a movie.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Flora, thanks for the name correction. I appreciate that.

You are welcome Chris!!! ...

If someone goes to this length to blindly lash out and wrongly accuse someone else of something ... the least he could do is get the name right!!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 AM

After reading this thread I'd have to concur with the presumption that someone "out-shopped" Hugh's skill level for some gig.
Then came home and found his refrigerator raided, his dog pregnant, and a note form his wife telling him she decided to explorer her true calling as a man.

In his world he feels very inadequate about something he obviously deems fundamental to his self-worth and he has no recourse but to aggrandize himself through the written post.
To him what better target than a resource or community where many may found that, in his estimation, are what he will never be: Decent.

I personally don't take offense at what he said - yes, there are some basic common-sense tid-bits of advice - but beyond that, his drivel is of no significance to me, what I do, or even how I choose to do it.
Pity is what now personifies and defines "Hugh".

May something good and nurturing come your way, Hugh; your state of mind is ultimately wasting your existence when you could be "practicing and honing your skills"
Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by HughSteenk View Post
Why not? Sick of seeing crap. Sick of seeing links to this site. Unless you intend to sell something, there are maybe 2 real retouchers who might come here (Tarrintono is one, but he's a bizness man just pimping wares for the most part - thinly veiled). Reading through the threads here, man, hurts. Perpetuating badness.
I'd like to speak up for Chris Tarantino and your opinion of his "pimping his wares". I think you're very wrong and I am very much appreciative of Chris and his help and advice here. This is not my day job and I am learning and enjoy retouching, both my own shots and a couple of other photogs locally who have no desire to learn PS. I have no desire to go to NYC and join the big leagues. A couple of months ago I sent Chris a pm asking if he would critique a retouch. I'm getting away from using any type of blur and had only used d&b on a softlight layer. Chris took time out of what I imagine is a very busy schedule and replied with a very detailed critique. I took his suggestions and tried again. Anyway, after 3 emails from Chris all I got was help. He'll never know what his words meant to me and made me feel that I was actually doing some things right. Not once did he mention anything about buying one of his books, dvd's, or anything else. His advice was given freely and I would imagine he has done the same for others. Will I buy his dvd when it comes out? You damn straight, but not because he "pimped" it in any way, only because of his talent level and willingness to help others. Thanks again Chris!
Old 07-19-2008, 11:30 AM

We are going to learn from "internet" but basically in order to be successful at anything you(me) do have to use all resources school, courses, workshops, books, magazines, videos, forums, internet, friends and other parts married to a subject (Photoshop) etc., and it's about any industry.
Best regards,
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM

I love this guy. I agree with most of what HughSteenk (haha) said. But bashing Chris and people trying to learn is a little harsh. I would love to see his work and Ants and all the other bashers on here.

Buy the way, thanks for what you do Chris, Conrad, FTP-Jeff and all the other successful retouchers that are willing to give a little guidance on how to get to the next level.

Please do not hold it against me but I am a self promoting addict. I would love to work with a any of you rock star retouchers (Chris, Conrad, FTP-Jeff, etc...). Let me know if I do not suck and can be of service to ya.

Thanks, -W
Old 07-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Also i strongly believe in power of a mentor, so i'm sure the DVD from Chris is going to help a lot of people, including me.
Best regards,
Old 07-19-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by HughSteenk View Post

Harsh? Look at that Ant guy, and he's not said anything that I've read that's incorrect. I of course haven't read everything but so far so good. Is this a social club?

My name is Hugh.
lol... you all talk to Ant, even Ant talks to himself... funny

search the word "tard" in posts
Old 07-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Why are high-end retouchers like Hugh and Ant such a**holes? What is it about this industry? Is it New York? LA?

Most people who are elitist are arrogant pricks who place themselves as higher than others without actual evidence of their higher standing. Elitists also come in many different shades and colors, from the college student-use big words-smarter than everyone, to the gym rat who thinks that because they spend 1/2 their life lifting weights, that their life is in some way worth more than a piece of toilet paper. Most often, when one is confronted with an elitist, the first thing that anyone feels for them, upon learning that this person regards themselves as an elitist, is utter repulsion at the fact that this guy believes himself to be in any way above their fellow primates.

Why do you guys think that everybody aspires to spend their life in a cubicle in New York, swiping every pixel of some supermodel's face, dodging and burning, dodging and burning, .... scritchy-scritchy, I love New my 700 sq ft apartment in Alphabet City... D & B...D & B.....B and D ..... oh, my tush itches....... "where's my Visine?"

Last edited by smak; 07-19-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching