RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

You aren't going to learn it on the internet....

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 06:53 AM

Re: You aren't going to learn it on the internet..

As i see it, the advices was given at first post, but most didn't even noticed them... And i must say, that trere is a lot of true... just need to get it correctly .
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberek View Post
As i see it, the advices was given at first post, but most didn't even noticed them... And i must say, that trere is a lot of true... just need to get it correctly .
Everyone noticed the advice/truth.
The point is u can't insult ppl to get your point across (coz it simply doesn't work). That's wrong about Hugh's Post and every single post that followed.

Have fun.

xx
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM

Hugh-
You are right on the money. I've been in prepress most of my life, in PSD since 2.0, and work as a retoucher full time- and I'm still learning. I agree- stop looking for short cuts. The easy way is never the right way, and learning to cut perfect masks is a good place to start.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Nevermind. Im going to be nice.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:29 AM

Maybe he was just celebrating the breaking of the 100,000 hit mark in the Dave Hill thread.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM

That's funny!!
I might have killed that thread with a post a few secs ago. At the least it might divert them, pry them away from their computers, dust of their cameras and practice composition, or something photography related.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM

Well not everyone who hangs out in this forum is aspiring to be a pro retoucher, some just do it as a hobby or attempt to learn some retouching/restoration tricks to tweak their friends or families photos. We know everyone who works at it is not going to put Pascal out of work.

But some manage to beat the odds and land a gig as an assistant retoucher and get some decent on the job, hands on retouching skills.

Although I wouldn't consider myself a master or senior retoucher, I actually have some real clients that pay me a decent wage to fix up their images. Sometimes me and another retoucher work the same file and do different things. I fix hair, skin, clone, put in take out stuff, fix eyes, teeth, makeup, etc. I learned many things here, Katrin's great retouching books, tutorials online, private instruction and working on the job in a graphics company.

So some of us find a way. There are of course different levels of sophistication in the trade. I have no desire to approach Vogue to retouch Steven Meisel's fine photographs because I have no chance in hell to compete with the high quality artists who are already working in the high end trade.

But this forum has a real purpose to be here and many people who come here have a place to network and bounce ideas and techniques with each member. So at least I'll be here for the long haul.

A note. I do understand that some high end retouchers cannot post their work because of copyright issues and client privilege. It has been known to be a secret art. I had one client, a photo student that I had to totally arrange her comps because of some lighting and distracting props placed improperly and she swore me to secrecy so her instructor wouldn't find out, because he told the class no assignments could be retouched. After I finished up, she said she or the class couldn't tell any retouching had been done. Got lucky I guess

Steve

Last edited by SteveB2005; 08-01-2008 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM

"Don't comment on crap that you aren't qualified to comment on."

.....So, until you show the members of this site your extraordinary, proffessional, .01%, best of the best work, you're simply a hypocrite. Put up, or shut up man.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:37 PM

I think you can learn as much from viewing bad examples of retouching as you can good, maybe more. You can look at what's wrong and analyse why and determine what a better approach might have been.

That's if you can tell the difference between 'good' and 'bad' retouching of course. And 'good' and 'bad' isn't subjective when it comes to professional retouching work...
Old 08-02-2008, 02:07 AM

LOL what a stupid sounding post, in so many ways
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching