RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

spent 10 hours on this...

Old 07-30-2008, 12:58 PM

spent 10 hours on this...

...and still don't know how to do it.
Attached image needs to be cut out. The horse has very fine hair all around and the background is quite similiar. If I don't sort this out I'll tear out my hair and place it on the image
Please please help. Tried with channels, levels, Lab everything I know, but not good enough

don't know how to post a bigger image, won't allow me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picasso Action -Brickwall small.jpg (73.5 KB, 264 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM

Re: spent 10 hours on this...

http://img368.imageshack.us/my.php?i...oactionxg9.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM

I didn't quite understand what do you need to do? to cut out the horse from the photo?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peponder View Post
...and still don't know how to do it.
Attached image needs to be cut out. The horse has very fine hair all around and the background is quite similiar. ...
Please please help. Tried with channels, levels, Lab everything I know, but not good enough
As you say, the white horse's mane and the lighter colored parts of the background are quite similar and make it more difficult to create a good mask. First off, is this something you are doing for work - as in "I have a deadline facing me and I'm worried about meeting it", or are you trying to do this to learn how to do difficult masking - as in "I have spent 10 hours and I can spend as much time as it takes to learn how to do it well."?

You mention channels - have you been trying to find contrast in one or more channels to help you create a mask? The Blue channel has the most contrast between the mane and most of the background, I think, and Calculations could perhaps bring out more contrast by multiplying a copy of the Blue channel with one of the channels. Deke McClelland has free video tutorials showing this --

"A First Peek at the Calculations Command"

His tutorials, and other instructors' tutorials are available at Lynda.com
http://movielibrary.lynda.com/html/modPage.asp?ID=506

They charge a subscription fee, but offer many free tuts to show us how good their instruction is, and this is included in the free ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 PM

CJ,
I need to do this for work, time is running out...:-(
but thanks for the link, I'm just trying to understand calculations and playing with them
thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 06:11 PM

I used Calculations to multiply a blue copy onto a blue copy - it doesn't bring out the tail hair (by the brick) very much. It does help with the mane.

It doesn't help you much, but a lot of the horse can be selected with the pen tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM

you didnt mention just how fine you need to get with this. and to get a totally true, every single hair that bleeds down into the background, just isnt realistic. even if you were a total expert with something like 'fluid mask' by Vertus, i'd still say that you're going to miss some on this one. some of those tail and mane hairs just bleed right into the background. so, again, you didnt mention just how fine and 'perfect' you're trying to get, but it's actually important to decide ahead of time.

i can do a fairly quick job with paint shop pro's 'background eraser' tool and do it fairly decently, but i'd also be deleting some of those finer hairs.

i already mentioned 'fluid mask' which claims to do things like this fairly easily, but the couple of times i've looked at the program, it seems to have a fairly steep learning curve, but that was from only two, short looks at their demo. so, that evaluation isnt totally fair.

you can also look through the forums here. there are quite a few threads on difficult, hair extractions with some very good help, tips and advices.

and if all else fails, your good old eraser tool set on a low opacity and a small size can do just about any extraction you want, provided you're willing to spend the time and patience and have a good undo

and, just to give you a couple more tricks, erase all the hairs, do your extraction and then either clone or paint the hair back in... just a thought
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 PM

this is far from perfect, but not bad for an hour job. i used background eraser for most of the tight work, but i also used the normal eraser along some of the edges.

and, following my own advice, i drew some hair back in on the tail and a tiny bit on the mane. i also used the airbrush tool to change some of the old background colors to more white. i also used the push tool with some 'twirl' type brushes to get a bit of a feathered hair type look.

this was not an easy job and like i say, not perfect. with more time, more could be done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picassoactionxg9-1-k-1i-rp.jpg (188.8 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 AM
Patron

Tough one. Parts of the image extraction was easy, but others were hard. I included the full rez mask that I used for the extraction and a sample, but, like Craig, it's far from perfect, but maybe it will be good enough for you. I applied some selective color painting around certain areas of the horse to blend it with the background better; you usually need to do this anyway.

background reference: http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/t...x060108-01.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (194.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: png mask.png (157.3 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2008, 01:46 AM

@Kraellin
it needs to be cover of the book

"and if all else fails, your good old eraser tool..."
exactly what I did, erase and retouch. Just thought if there's a simpler way. I normaly do hair or fur through channels in 5-10minutes, but this time I couldn't

@Ikroll
thanks, I'll try selective painting as I have one more day to complete it.

Guys, thanks very much, you saved me...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching